Hot RL Tyre?...

Keefe

Everythime i go out in the car, then stop and get out you can smell warm rubber, but its only coming from the LR tyre.... I've looked under the car and can't see anything immediately untoward, does anyone else suffer this? Proximity of the exhaust to tyre?

Jack that corner of the car up and see if you can spin the wheel freely. Then get someone to apply the brake while you continue to try and spin the wheel. Get them to take their foot off the brake. If the wheel is still difficult to spin (or if it's a struggle to spin it at all) then your brake caliper is binding causing your tyre to be dragged along the ground - get it sorted before the tyre gets f**ked!!!

Edited by chicken_eyebrow

That, or a stone has got stuck under the dust shield. If this has happened, the stone will have scored the disc, and you need new rear discs and pads soon. The good news is that it's likely to be obvious to a visual inspection that takes about 5 minutes if so.

Most likely a sticking caliper. If you're comfortable removing the caliper (by the way, only do this if you're sure you know what you're doing . . . brakes are somewhat important ;)), then you can ease the sliders out of the carrier and regrease them (I used to use copper slip on my Primera's rear calipers) as these are a common cause of dragging rear brakes (you may find the sliders rather hard to remove though if they're rusted up!)

This is the slider removed from the carrier on my Primera:

n283200051_17507_8736.jpg

Edited by yashicamat

I have the same issue. I was out for a brisk drive to a mate of mine who is rebuilding an Octavia, and after a "spirited" drive I arrived at his workshop, and noticed smoke coming from the back corner. Wheel was not hot, nothing obvious caught behind the dust shield. Tyres are on the way out anyway, but I will get the calipers checked.

Edited by pdhealy

Most likely a sticking caliper. If you're comfortable removing the caliper (by the way, only do this if you're sure you know what you're doing . . . brakes are somewhat important ;)), then you can ease the sliders out of the carrier and regrease them (I used to use copper slip on my Primera's rear calipers) as these are a common cause of dragging rear brakes (you may find the sliders rather hard to remove though if they're rusted up!)

This is the slider removed from the carrier on my Primera:

n283200051_17507_8736.jpg

As has been posted before Do Not Use Copper Grease on caliper pins. Use the grease as supplied by Skoda or Castrol red rubber grease.

You can get a small pot of red grease on Ebay for a few pence.

The base compound of copper grease in earth mixed with a small quantity of oil and copper filings, it does more harm than good.

Also let it be known any form of copper interacts with alloy so in my book it's a no go.

Edited by hussarman

Can be sticking brakes, can be underinflated tyre(s) but can also be a bearing on its way out.

Or an alignment way out of spec.

Is it just the tyre or the entire wheel. Is the brake disc hot? Still some questions open.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update... I have been having the same burning smell coming from the left rear arch for the last while. Wheel and tyre not getting hot. My exhaust centre mount jubilee fix finally gave up the ghost in the last week, and I got it welded this evening. No smell of burning after the drive home. No obvious relationship, as there were no visible signs of burning to the rubber mount. I will keep an eye on it and report back.

It ain't the brakes........I've checked nice and cool

Mine is the same rear nearside smells of rubber when you stop, I think it may be the exhaust hanger....If there is one ??

Just to note that if there is burning anywhere in the exhaust tunnel, the easiest place for fumes/ smoke to exit would be the rear wheel arch.

I've a had a brake pad bbq on the RL! The pad caught fire and crumbled up, and the caliper cooked causing most of the paint to bubble off.

Be aware that on the motorway the vented discs are very effective at keeping themselves cool, so if you touch the disc at motorway services you may find it cool. But if you drive around town you'll find it's red hot. Just something I noticed before I changed the calliper for a refurb'd one.

If the tyres/brakes/bearings are fine then it's probably just the normal exhaust heat funneling out of that arch. I find when the car has been driven long and hard, then you park it in an open carpark with a slight breeze you can really feel the heat blowing out from under the car. I guess the cats run pretty hot......

I guess the cats run pretty hot......

Yup! Mine went on the ramp 2 mins after a 10 mile back road drive. Discs and wheels cool, but when walking under car, the heat given off by the cat, and indeed the back box, was surprising.