MP3 Stream Not playing Burned CD-R

I have a MP3 Stream Radio in my 08 Octavia RS. I burned a couple of CD's 1 from Itunes as MP3 files and the other using Windows player to burn it. I put both discs into the stereo and neither will play. I'm getting a message saying Disc error. If I put them into the stereo in my GF's Audi A5 they play no problem. The Radio manual says that the Stream radio plays CD-R discs and thats what I'm using!

So Iam I doing something wrong or will I bring the car back to Skoda and see if they can fix it? or is it broken at all? I've 5 months warranty left...

Cheers Guys

Edited by jcdub

User nero to burn the disk as a single session data cd, drag and drop the files and then burn. Media player burns the disk in a funny way that some headunits dont like.

Only the headunit itself can play MP3 disks, the changer cannot.

User nero to burn the disk as a single session data cd, drag and drop the files and then burn. Media player burns the disk in a funny way that some headunits dont like.

Only the headunit itself can play MP3 disks, the changer cannot.

I only have the head unit. So if I record from itunes and then select data cd it should play?

What speed are you burning the discs at?

Sometimes if you try to burn them too quickly it can impinge on the quality, select a low burn speed say 2x, 4x, 8x or 16x, instead of >20x.

I'm burning at 16X. The cd's working on my gf's audi's stereo...

Speed has nothing to do with it.

Just ensure you are creating an MP3 Data CD. Don't leave it as un-finished session (i.e you can add to it later) and it will read them fine.

iTunes is fine to use or use something like Nero on Windows or Toast on a Mac

Thats how i used to do all mine till i got the MFD3 and i would burn them at 52x using my Mac & Toast.

Carl :thumbup:

I gave up playing MP3 cds as on random occasions a crack like a gun shot occured and the unit went off and back on.

Scary as you are driving along but a great cure for constipation :giggle:

Ok I'm going to try burn another cd with itunes using data cd mode and I'll see how is works out...

If that does not work I'll bring it back to my Skoda dealer :-SThanks guys

my 08 Stream plays mp3 cds created and burnt in iTunes on my iMac.

somewhat prone to skipping, though i'm not sure that it's just cd-rs that are affected (i only really use burnt cds in the car). i assumed it was just a poor buffer in the head unit and hard ride from the suspension.

Edited by redlemon

I consistently had the same problem playing CDs burnt on Vista at full speed (24x). Reduced the speed down to 8x and it works every time now - same tracks, same blank CDs. Definitely burn speed is a factor in making reliable discs for MP3 Stream (or at least it is on my particular hardware).

Ok I'm going to try burn another cd with itunes using data cd mode and I'll see how is works out...

If that does not work I'll bring it back to my Skoda dealer :-SThanks guys

Before you do that try burning at a slower speed as has already been suggested and if that doesn't work try another brand of blank CD-R discs.

It's quite common for particular players be it DVd or CD not to like particular brands of discs that's just the way it is.

Also try playing a disc made on another computer.

Also check the format of the MP3s you are using. If they are unusual or variable bit rates that may give the unit a harder time. Perhaps also first try duplicating a straigjht music CD (non MP3) to check the player is happy with the blanks you are using.

Before you do that try burning at a slower speed as has already been suggested and if that doesn't work try another brand of blank CD-R discs.

It's quite common for particular players be it DVd or CD not to like particular brands of discs that's just the way it is.

Also try playing a disc made on another computer.

Just tested a CD burnt using Toast Titanium on my Mac (using the MP3 CD option - disk at once mode) and works 100% so far on my MP3 Stream headunit - all the folders, ID3 info etc work as I'd expect :)

Cheers

Kevin

OK I burnt another CD using Windows and at medium speed and justried it in the car and its still not working! Not Happy

Calling the Skoda Dealer tomorrow and getting this checked out under warranty!

JC

• 5 years later...

same problem

as soon as you popped the cd in it reads it for a while then spits it back out saying cd rom??????, should'nt it be detecting cd roms?? im woundering if its a setting on nero it doesnt like as its doing it on 3 of my skodas