Replacement Key - where to go? how much?

Yes, and arguably, but you can expect the key and plit to work right, the immobiliser trasnponder to be synced up and stay that way, and the same 100 feet range as the existing key has.

Thanks for your reply,

So it sounds like the dealer is the person to go to - to get a decent second key...?

D

Do a search, it's been covered many times before, but basically a dealer will supply a second key for £160, or for less than half that price it can be done by someone with VCDS & Vag Commander (and yes it will work just as good as a dealer supplied one)

Do a search, it's been covered many times before, but basically a dealer will supply a second key for £160, or for less than half that price it can be done by someone with VCDS & Vag Commander (and yes it will work just as good as a dealer supplied one)

With the only qualification being if you intend to sell your car as a part exchange through a franchise dealer in the foreseeable future.

Invariably the second question they will ask after examining your trade-in (after the 'has it ever been damaged in an accident' question) is 'have you got the manufacturer's second key?'

I was told by several dealers in no uncertain terms that a substitute second key would simply be ignored and the price of an 'official' replacement deducted off my trade-in value (for a Ford). Another scam I presume (didn't matter, I had the second key anyway).

Edited by Cauliflower

But the second key will be an OE key! (the second hand keys sold on eBay etc invariably are from people who have sold the spare key).

So yes you have the "manufacturer's second key" and not a "substitute second key".

As i previously said, it will be as good (and the same spec) as the dealer supplied key.

I have done just this on our MK5 Golf and you cannot tell any difference to the key that was supplied with the car (and is just the same visually as my OE keys supplied with my my Superb - apart from the VW badge obviously).

But the second key will be an OE key! (the second hand keys sold on eBay etc invariably are from people who have sold the spare key).

So yes you have the "manufacturer's second key" and not a "substitute second key".

As i previously said, it will be as good (and the same spec) as the dealer supplied key.

I have done just this on our MK5 Golf and you cannot tell any difference to the key that was supplied with the car (and is just the same visually as my OE keys supplied with my my Superb - apart from the VW badge obviously).

Don't shoot the messenger, it's the dealers that have a bee in the bonnet about this. I suppose the advice is, if you source elsewhere, make sure it looks identical to how your model's second key should look.

DJThompson, another thought struck me - are you satisfied the original key is dead and buried? If not, you might want to re-programme in any case.

Don't shoot the messenger, it's the dealers that have a bee in the bonnet about this. I suppose the advice is, if you source elsewhere, make sure it looks identical to how your model's second key should look.

DJThompson, another thought struck me - are you satisfied the original key is dead and buried? If not, you might want to re-programme in any case.

thanks for all the posts. very helpful, and food for thought.

D

How will the dealers know???

If they look at the car they will see what keys are stored, which would match up with the keys you hand in

They all would have to be original keys to work

How will the dealers know???

If they look at the car they will see what keys are stored, which would match up with the keys you hand in

They all would have to be original keys to work

All I know is that when I went to negotiate a trade in price for my Fiesta with: (1) a Volkswagen dealer; (2) a Renault dealer; and (3) a Skoda dealer, they all wanted to know if both keys were original and if not, were they manufacturer or other replacements. I dunno why. I can only asume that margins are tight at the minute and there is some sort of issue over this.

• 11 years later...

My brother was getting a second key programmed for his Jag by by a mobile guy.

I dropped one of my keys and it stopped working so I asked the guy if he could sort me a new one.

He took the knackered key and re-programmed it as and charged me the princly sum of £30.

So it may be worth getting it checked out, could save a whole heap of cash.