Assembly Line Error

Got a call from my dealer yesterday to say that car had been delivered and now just needs to go through PDI etc before collection. I could tell from his voice that there was going to be a 'but' and sure enough there was. The car was ordered in black with ivory leather and black carpets (I've seen the order form to confirm this). For some reason the guys on the assembly line probably didn't think that this was a good combo so fitted the ivory carpets instead. Whilst they were at it they also thought that just the side window blinds were not enough so stuck one the rear window one as well. Apart from rejecting the car there is not really much I could do. I did not really see this as the dealer's fault so didn't go for any financial adjustment (I'd already screwed him right down on the price) and to be fair they offered to scotch guard the carpets and fit black mats FOC. I'm a little (ok, quite a lot) annoyed that the interior look of the car is not what I was hoping for and with 2 small children know that light carpets are just going to get trashed.

I am just at a loss to understand (and the dealer could provide no explanation) as to how on an automated ordering system this can happen. Anybody else had mistake made on their order?

This is my first Skoda and so far they have not manufactured me a happy driver.

I ordered a grey Octy II and was presented with a Sahara Beige one!!! Turns out the order code for Sahara beige is on the next line down to Graphite Grey and the dealer had made a typo :(

As i'm still waiting for my Superb, i cant comment on errors that have happened, but if my Superb comes with major issues (and i think the wrong colour is major!) i would be inclined to reject the car (as it was no per order) or take it, but as it's no the ordered vehicle, i would want compensation for it.

(It's not the dealers fault, but it is Skoda's fault!)

If it was rejected, i would want (as in my case, my car is being sold privately a few days before taking delivery of the new car) something of similar stature to use, until the order is completed. (we have also guaranteed a a trade-in price, for whenever the car is delivered just incase the private sale does not go through; if we did trade it in, i would want this price to be held)

At the end of the day, you ordered a car, because you knew what you wanted, rather than taking what was already in stock...

Al.

Not quite as serious as some of these but mine arrived without the driver side lumbar adjustmet handle. 2 weeks and still awaiting , the problem is I do high mileage and the seat is not providing the support that is required. Oh,also the warning triangle was missing.

it is possible for the dealer to change the carpet to the black one. it was quiet a common change on the mk1 vRS to change the grey carpet to black.

As I didn't want to wait 12 weeks for another car I didn't really feel like I was left with much choice but to accept the vehicle. Maybe the British in me took over and I should have kicked off more over it

I hope you wont be keeping the car for a long time as (from personal experience) you will regret the decision after a few years when the carpet is rank.

it is possible for the dealer to change the carpet to the black one. it was quiet a common change on the mk1 vRS to change the grey carpet to black.

This would be the last thing in the world i would let a Skoda dealer do (even though mine is a decent dealer) imagine the seats, centre console, sill trims etc being removed by some apprentice 'fitter' :o it will never be the same again!

In my experience the Skoda ordering system is a complete joke, even after rejecting 1 Fabia vRS due to wrong spec, and waiting 5 months for the replacement it was still missing side airbags! The Octavia came with extras that wheren't ordered, and I seem to remember something extra on another fabia as well :doh: From conversations with various dealers it is a very convaluted ordering system on the computer :S

Cream carpets ...NO, I had a loaner Volvo V40 with cream leather and cream carpets, 1 pair of dirty shoes and it will NEVER look the same again, you drive round loking for "dry" places to park, it will become a nightmare, looks lovely in the showroom but as a usable car ...NO don't accept it, accepted in minutes, regretted for years

• 2 weeks later...

If you're keeping it get them to give you rubber mats not black fabric.

Is the boot beige too? If so I'd want a rubber boot liner too.

Edited by Aspman

The scotch guard will definitely help. Probably worth carrying some kitchen roll around permanently and not allowing stains to be left for any length of time. First hint of the scotch guard wearing off, buy a tin off ebay (£5 for the branded stuff delivered) and redo the carpets with it.

Will definately be extra work to keep it good, but with a bit of determination you'll be able to preserve it.

As I didn't want to wait 12 weeks for another car I didn't really feel like I was left with much choice but to accept the vehicle. Maybe the British in me took over and I should have kicked off more over it

Your dealer could order the grey/black floor carpets and retro fit them for you.

It was done quite a lot on MK I Octy VRS as they had white/grey carpets that stained very easily.