VRS Rattle at Idle & Loss of Power

My 57 plate VRS TFSi has suddenly developed an annoying rattle at about 1300rpm that dissapears when touching the throttle slightly. It's got 25k on the clock and it's recently had a standard service. I can't pinpoint the exact location of the rattle but it sounds loudest around the pedal area. Has anybody else experienced a clear rattle at idle or have any suggestions what the cause might be?

I will either be taking it back to the dealers or the garage that carried out the service depending on the probable cause.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by BishBashBosh

Just to elaborate further on the matter. When turning the engine on it idles at 1200rpm without any issues. If left for about 5 minutes the engine will lose power and the idle will drop to 750rpm and the rattle starts. I think this issue is with the loss of idle power rather than the rattle itself.

Has anybody else had a similar issue?

Idling at 750-850 rpm is normal. The car will idle above 1000 rpm whilst the engine warms up. Once warm it drops a bit, to the 750/850 rpm range. As for the rattle, have you checked the gear stick? Mine would rattle a bit on idle. Just pushing it forward or back a bit and it would go away.

I wasn't sure about the correct idle settings so thanks for the clarification.

I'm aware of the gearstick shakes and I sometimes get it when changing up to second when the engines cold. I've never had it in idle though. This however seems to be a completly new drone that appears when the engine is idling at about 750rpm. The rattle fades if I move the throttle slightly to bring the revs to 900rpm? It also appears when driving if I hold the clutch down.

Thanks

Can you hear the rattle outside the car or just inside? Does it only occur when you put the clutch down? If it's only occured after a service its worth checking under the bonnet for anything obviously loose. Such as the plastic cover on the engine not being properly attached. Also the under tray, if its not been attached properly I wonder if it could rattle.

You hear the rattle inside the car but to me it doesn't sound too healthy from the outside either. It sounds a bit limp to be honest. It appears whenever the revs are at idle so either stationary regardless of clutch position or when the clutch is engaged whilst moving. It's obviously a lot clearer whilst the car is stationary.

I've had a quick look under the bonnet and nothing obvious appears to be loose. I'm taking it too the dealers this afternoon so hopefully they might be able to spot the problem. I'll keep you posted.

Ta

• 1 year later...

Check the breather valve. With the engine running can you take out the oil cover easily. If not its likely the valve. Does the car seem to shudder. It sounds similar to a problem we had.