Worrying - tried to start car, turned engine, wouldn't start

Morning all,

A worrying moment as i jumped in the car to come to work this morning.

Key in ignition, turned engine for about 10/15sec! and it didn't start. I got the "Engine Oil Pressure low - STOP" warning on the dash, so stopped turning the engine. I popped the bonnet and checked the oil level, that was fine. Scratched my head and did the ignition cycle again - it fired up first time!

Anyone else had this, or have any theories as to what the heck could have happened?

It had a major service yesterday and drove home without any problems. Also the 30mile drive into work this morning was un-eventful.

This has NEVER happened before, and the warranty runs out in a month or so....

Ta,

MPM :D

Oil pressure and oil level are two different things. If the oil pump has failed (for example) you will have low pressure even though there is plenty of oil available.

My suggestion is that somebody at the dealership didn't plug something back together correctly and it's come loose.

Morning all,

A worrying moment as i jumped in the car to come to work this morning.

Key in ignition, turned engine for about 10/15sec! and it didn't start. I got the "Engine Oil Pressure low - STOP" warning on the dash, so stopped turning the engine. I popped the bonnet and checked the oil level, that was fine. Scratched my head and did the ignition cycle again - it fired up first time!

Anyone else had this, or have any theories as to what the heck could have happened?

It had a major service yesterday and drove home without any problems. Also the 30mile drive into work this morning was un-eventful.

This has NEVER happened before, and the warranty runs out in a month or so....

Ta,

Hi MPM

Sorry don't have a specific answer, but just because you have oil in the sump does not mean there is pressure, as your warning says "low oil pressure" !

so don't drive as could do long term damage, could be the oil pump has packed up or something like that

Radiotwo

I should clarify, i checked the level AND the fact the dipstick was fully coated with oil - which tells me that oil is moving around....

...i can plug VCDS in and get look at what's happening - does anyone have any pointers as to what values (PSI i would assume) i should be seeing for pressure?

Ta,

Edited by MPM

I should clarify, i checked the level AND the fact the dipstick was fully coated with oil - which tells me that oil is moving around....

...i can plug VCDS in and get look at what's happening - does anyone have any pointers as to what values (PSI i would assume) i should be seeing for pressure?

Ta,

Hi again

the fact the dipstick was fully coated with oil - which tells me that oil is moving around....

Not necessary ! as the engine turns, it will splash some oil around,(and so getting it on the dipstick) but not getting it to the top end.

I think you said you had just had it serviced, get onto the garage, and get them to pick it up and sort it, (and not drive it back)

Radiotwo

Much as i'd love to play games with the dealer, they are 45 miles away. Being level headed about it - yes, i had the warning, but it went away as fast as it appeared. I think it's unfair to start making them jump though hoops without any 'hard' problem to focus on.

I think i'll have to plug VCDS in at lunch and take it from there...obviously if that reveals any 'issues' i'll be straight on the phone to the dealer for 'help'...

Does anyone have any simple VCDS processes i can follow to check oil pressure & any other related systems? (Apart from the obvious picking of individual sensors for monitoring)

Thanks,

Just had a quick chat with the dealer - the low pressure warning is due to the car expecting the engine to be running - obviously on the starter motor, pressure won't be nearly high enough - hence the warning...

...I think it's going to be a 'suck-it-and-see' type of thing. Hopefully it isn't the beginnings of a starting problem.

Cheers,

Just had a quick chat with the dealer - the low pressure warning is due to the car expecting the engine to be running - obviously on the starter motor, pressure won't be nearly high enough - hence the warning...

...I think it's going to be a 'suck-it-and-see' type of thing. Hopefully it isn't the beginnings of a starting problem.

Cheers,

Speak to your dealer again, and get him to make a log of the facts of what happened, and then, should something happen, after warranty expires, there will be a record of the problem, and this should help you someway to getting work carried out "under warranty".

the low pressure warning is due to the car expecting the engine to be running - obviously on the starter motor, pressure won't be nearly high enough - hence the warning...

That makes sense to me, it's what i was thinking the whole time i was reading your thread. Thought i'd post anyway even though you've solved it...

VCDS wont be able to tell you an oil pressure value -- the oil pressure sensor in the engine is just a switch. The pressure's either high enough, or it's not, is all the ECU (and so VCDS) will know.

Doubt you've got much to worry about unless it keeps happening. If it does keep happening my first port of call would be the fuel filter (service item)... there's no air leaks allowing fuel to drain back into the tank or anything?

My Audi had the same warning along with ABS Fault as well.

It was water ingretion between car and the ECU. The ABS was fine, the reason the ABS warning came on as well is that the ABS ECU could not talk to the Engine ECU.

When it next happens check to see if the engine light is on or off as you start it.

It should be on when the key goes in the ignition, I knew my Audi would not start if the light was off.

My Audi cut out whilst doing 70mph with the fault, so be carefull if it is that. Get the dealer to check it along with the DPF Vacum Sensor at the top of the engine bay. although you could disconnect and clean this yourself. Again, very carefully as its prone to breaking when removing.

It was a 2007 Audi A3 2.0TDi 170 PD.

Hope this might help.

Get the dealer to check it along with the DPF Vacum Sensor at the top of the engine bay

Hope this might help.

You're just saying random things :thumbdown:

Edited by wega3k

There is a sensor at the back of the engine bay that is part of the DPF system, it is a common part that fails. It has two pipes that go into it that monitors the pressure between them. Do an image search for DPFE sensor and that's what it looks like.

I said that "I hope it might help" as I really do want it to help but understand that different warnings on the dashboard can relate to completely different things so my problem 'might' be of some use.

christ almighty, try and share an experience.

:|

I've had the low oil pressure warning go of when failing to start due to a poor battery in cold weather. After it started, it's all fine. Don't worry about the oil gong, but figure out why it didn't start at the first attempt.

I had the same low oil pressure - stop message once, about 9 months ago when my car wouldn't start and I was cranking it for a good few seconds. As others have said, make the dealer note it and don't worry too much about it.

The immob was my prime suspect. When i get chance at the weekend i'm going to run a VCDS scan to see if that highlights anything.

Don't have DPF as it's a petrol engine :)

I don't see the point in the knee jerk reaction of going to the dealer when it's only happened once and i can't reliably re-create it.

Thanks all,

The immob was my prime suspect.

It won't be the immobilizer. The immobilizer allows an engine to start normally, then cuts out after about 2 seconds and displays the immobilizer symbol (key under picture of a car) and sometimes a text message as well (been there, done that trying to get spare keys coded).

I've heard of this happening if the starter motor isn't cranking the engine over at fast enough rpm (the ECU simply won't allow the engine to start). Can be caused by a battery that doesn't have high enough voltage and current, or a starter motor problem.