Picked up my 06 Vrs yesterday, going back today!

Hi guy's, first post on here. I thought I would let you know about my first day as a vrs owner.

I live near Middlesbrough and set off to pick up the car from Silbury Skoda just north of Newcastle, stopped off on the way for lunch and got a phone call to say that the valeter had managed to get water into the electric window switches and they were going up & down at will! So we killed time while they tried to dry them out. This didn't work so they swapped the switches out with another car. When the car was ready it looked great, race blue and 18" alloys and tinted windows (and a limited edition badge on the back - not sure what that's about?)

While the sales guy was showing me the where all the bits and bobs were, the radiator fan came on for a few minutes even though it had been sat for at least 10 mins, he said it must have been sat ticking over in the workshop, fair enough I thought.

Drove it home, awesome! great to drive, took it easy (got 41mpg) only gave it a couple of bursts while overtaking.

Got home and after about 15mins the fan came on again for about 20 mins, went off for 5mins and then back on for another 10-15mins!

The temp guage never got above 90 all the way home and the coolant was full.

I planned on ringing Silbury in the morning about this but my daughter was ill and had an emergency appointment first thing. So we all jumped in the car and it wouldn't start, battery was completely dead!

Any ideas what the problem might be? Silbury are coming to take it back to sort it out but I hope they don't take long, I can't wait to take in out for a proper run on some B roads.

Looks nice on the drive though! :)

Edited by cougars38

Someone else had this same problem recently, can't seem to find the thread now - seem to remember it was a faulty connection somewhere, easily solved.

Those fans are true battery killers - for some reason, the last time I flashed my ECU with my Bluefin, the fans came on at full chat for the whole 20 minute process. I was too scared to stop mid-flash so let it run, luckily had just enough power to finish the flash - couldn't turn the starter motor afterwards though :rofl:

Hi guy's, first post on here. I thought I would let you know about my first day as a vrs owner.

I live near Middlesbrough and set off to pick up the car from Silbury Skoda just north of Newcastle, stopped off on the way for lunch and got a phone call to say that the valeter had managed to get water into the electric window switches and they were going up & down at will! So we killed time while they tried to dry them out. This didn't work so they swapped the switches out with another car. When the car was ready it looked great, race blue and 18" alloys and tinted windows (and a limited edition badge on the back - not sure what that's about?)

While the sales guy was showing me the where all the bits and bobs were, the radiator fan came on for a few minutes even though it had been sat for at least 10 mins, he said it must have been sat ticking over in the workshop, fair enough I thought.

Drove it home, awesome! great to drive, took it easy (got 41mpg) only gave it a couple of bursts while overtaking.

Got home and after about 15mins the fan came on again for about 20 mins, went off for 5mins and then back on for another 10-15mins!

The temp guage never got above 90 all the way home and the coolant was full.

I planned on ringing Silbury in the morning about this but my daughter was ill and had an emergency appointment first thing. So we all jumped in the car and it wouldn't start, battery was completely dead!

Any ideas what the problem might be? Silbury are coming to take it back to sort it out but I hope they don't take long, I can't wait to take in out for a proper run on some B roads.

Looks nice on the drive though! :)

I've had my last 3 cars from silbury, and they are really good..if you have a prob, don't worry, they will sort it for you :thumbup:

Thanks for the replies, I'm hoping it is a simple fix so I can get it back quick. It's just a tad frustrating to see it all shiny on the drive and not being able to take it for a spin!

Fingers crossed!

Quick update. After having the car since Monday and nothing showed up in the diagnostic, they have said today that the car requires a new ECU.

Being an approved car they contacted the warranty company who said they want a goodwill contribution from Skoda before they would allow the part to be ordered. Silbury had not heard back from Skoda today, the service guy thinks if they get the go ahead on Monday the car should be ready by the end of next week.

I really don't know how I feel about the car now, driving home from the dealer was great, it looks great, but now I'm worried about the reliability of the car and the problems I may have in the future with the warranty (especially after reading the ESP problems thread!)

Part of the approved scheme includes a 30 day exchange, anyone know how that works? I don't WANT to give it back, but my confidence in the car has taken a knock.

You should not have to wait for goodwill from skoda, that's quite cheeky. You paid for a car and you want it fixed ASAP, that's the law. I hope they gave you a loan car.

A new ECU is the "we have no idea cos the computer says no" type of reply, I'd get my money back.

ECUs dont just fail, if they fail they usually go shortly after the car was new not at 4 years old. The ECU has done a perfectly good job up untill now, so unless the dealer has done something to damage it then its not the cause of your problem. Its a sad time that because their diag equipment cannot find a fault code they always blame the ECU.

A faulty fan switch is the most likely cause, and such a fault will not record any faults at all on the ECU, after all the ECU is powered off when these faults are ocurring.

I'd also find another dealer, you should'nt be waiting for them to sort out the warranty claim, your warranty is with the dealer, they also appear unable to fix a simple fault.

From your first post its evident that the fault (whatever it is) was present at the time of sale. This should not be a warranty claim - the tab should be picked up by the dealer and it should be classed as an urgent job to get you back on the road. Waiting for 'a contribution from Skoda' is really not on at all. A major black mark against that dealer IMHO. I am surprised the warranty company agreed to any payment at all.

A work colleague I used to know purchased an A4 and had some cosmetic issues with it (small paint problems and scuffs to the drivers seat). He took it back under the 30 day exchange at the Audi garage, with no problems. He chose a replacement from Audi stock. Back in the skoda world, I'd be surprised if they were as accommodating. However, if you start discussing the 30 day exchange with the dealer, they might just start giving you the service you deserve.

However, if you start discussing the 30 day exchange with the dealer, they might just start giving you the service you deserve.

That's what I'm hoping, the service manager is ringing me in the morning so I'll see what he has to say.

when i got mine a year ago they said that the 30 day exchange was if i wasn't happy with the car.......if it wasn't up to standard in any way i asked.......they said yep no qualms. this was before i had handed the money over mind but they were quite clear that i could exchange.

when they sold you the car they didn't sell it to you as a faulty car and you wouldn't expect it to fail staright away so you should be entitled to exchange.

Pick another one if you are not happy and take some legal advice from trading standards. a letter from them would add some weight.

good luck

Hi,

I bought an approved used 56 Plate Petrol VRS last October and 3 weeks later the ECU and emmissions lights came on, the car still drove fine but when I took it to Skoda in newcastle they told me it needed a new ECU. The part was ordered and replaced the next day and the car has been perfect ever since.

I did consider using the 30 day exchange option but as I live in tyne and wear but bought the car in Scotlandshire it was easier to go down the route I did.

Also the service I recieved at Benfield in newcastle was excellent, better than certain Audi dealerships that I have dealt with in the past.

Paul