Tactical voting

RapidRonnie

21 members have voted

1. 1. Will you vote tactically in the general election?

• Yes
    • No - Not necessary in my area
    • No - I believe in voting for who you want to win!

With our electoral system it often doesn't make sense to vote for the party that you want to win the election.

Ie. - If you want the Tories to win the election but the fight in your area is Labour-Lib Dem you should vote Lib Dem

- If you are a Lib Dem voter but don't want the Tories in but the fight in your area was Labour/Conservative you should vote Labour

So what will you people do? Do you believe in voting for who you want to win even if it's pointless, and is it time to change the electoral system?

Or is it all a waste of time cos they're all as bad as each other :D

With our electoral system it often doesn't make sense to vote for the party that you want to win the election.

Ie. - If you want the Tories to win the election but the fight in your area is Labour-Lib Dem you should vote Lib Dem

- If you are a Lib Dem voter but don't want the Tories in but the fight in your area was Labour/Conservative you should vote Labour

So what will you people do? Do you believe in voting for who you want to win even if it's pointless, and is it time to change the electoral system?

Or is it all a waste of time cos they're all as bad as each other :D

To be honest with you I think they're all as bad as each other. For once could we have a goverment which would put the peoples interest first !!

Why would anyone vote Labour? I really don't understand it!

I don't think we really need a full-blown thread on politics.

However there are many good reasons to vote Labour (one being so that the Torries don't get in).

This country needs a radical departure from either of the main stream candidates, Until a government gets in to power that isn't afraid of offending minority groups (whilst alienating the rest of the population), we will just go round in circles and continue moaning whilst nothing changes other than the cost of running the whole circus. So to go back on topic, no I won't tactical vote.

Edited by postmanpat

The Conservatives seem like a better deal than Labour at the moment...

In what way?

Not neccesarily disagreeing, just curious to know whether people are voting Tory because of a reason other than "they're not Labour"

1) Maybe a voter is a lazy no good lay about and want to continue to claim benefits and not work even though you are capable of working. (This includes many people born in the UK fall into this)

2) Maybe a voter is somebody who has come here and never works, but likes that they get a house for popping out kids who don't speak English.

3) They have some other reason to think that Labour will leave them better off.

Problem is while I personally don't think much of the other parties, I know nu f**k will screw us over again.

In what way?

Not neccesarily disagreeing, just curious to know whether people are voting Tory because of a reason other than "they're not Labour"

Generally, with my somewhat limited knowledge and small set of beliefs in what the country needs (or what I need the country to do for me...), Gordon Brown is a lying ****. We didn't elect him. He's done a terrible job. I think my Mum could do a better job, and she's been living in a small urn for 3 years now.

1) Maybe a voter is a lazy no good lay about and want to continue to claim benefits and not work even though you are capable of working. (This includes many people born in the UK fall into this)

2) Maybe a voter is somebody who has come here and never works, but likes that they get a house for popping out kids who don't speak English.

3) They have some other reason to think that Labour will leave them better off.

Problem is while I personally don't think much of the other parties, I know nu f**k will screw us over again.

I completely agree with this. These are the sorts of people who will be voting for labour. I also think a lot of people are just completely fed up of having a Labour Government. Gordon Brown has also been very nice to a lot of pensioners in this country with decent state pension and the whole winter fuel allowance (not sure if thats the correct term), and this is a very large and ever growing population within the country.

My stance is that I can not relate to Gordon Brown (he's too old, or maybe I'm too young!), and I don't really want to vote Tory, simply out of principal! I personally want to see change.

On another note, I completely agree with what somebody about Gordon Brown not being elected, this really bugged me, as nobody voted for him last time round! I personally think he's had his chance, and I don't see any changes in my favour which I like ;)

Generally, with my somewhat limited knowledge and small set of beliefs in what the country needs (or what I need the country to do for me...),

Then for God's sake don't vote for Cameron. Under Tory rule you are not entitled to ask what the country can do for you, you should ask yourself "What can I do?"

Gordon Brown is a lying ****.

Well, if you prefer to put your trust in blue-eyed boy Cameron, that's your decision - personally I wouldn't put even a £3 note on his honesty.

We didn't elect him.

Why should you have? It's the prerogative of HM the Queen to appoint PM, usually the leader of the largest party in the Commons. And of course it's the party, not the voters, that choose their leader. No UK electorate has ever elected the PM.

Edited by swedishskoda

People have got short memories if they think the Tory party will be any better for the country than Nu-Lab have been.

What happened the last time they were in power?

-Unemployment >4m

-Close all the pits

-Privatise everything in sight

-Destroyed our manufacturing base.

Agreed, lets face it the others could not **** up the country anymore!

Trouble is doesn't matter who you actually vote in as they will never do what they say!

For what its worth Blair should have never stood last election if he was not to see the full term through, and Brown should not have just stepped it. I know we vote the party in but the front man has alot to do with the choice to and at the end of the day Blair was voted in not Brown. I know we as people do not vote in the front man to be the front man but we do then vote him into power with his/her party.

And to answer the question I will be voting for who I think will be best for the job not voting just so a party will not get in.

Locally our MP is retiring .He's been looking after local politics for years .But the PC brigade have now decided that there are not enough women - so at the local party ballots men were excluded .So is one party fielding the best candidate -we'll never know -so ,on the principle that I have not been given the choice -scratch that candidate .Again ,for the past two years us wrinklies have had a higher than normal heating allowance and cold weather payment this year was at an all time high - smells like bribes to me - I'll take it ,but on principle -no deal ,Mr Darling .

Double post ,board being sticky

Edited by VWD

I don't understand how anyone can say that (A) is better than (B). -- I listened to the Parties telling the Country what they will do if they win. I know and you know that they are only Words. These people are supposed to work for us, but when they get into No 10 they forget that, and look after themselves. So become the New Self Serving Pigs that they are.

People have got short memories if they think the Tory party will be any better for the country than Nu-Lab have been.

What happened the last time they were in power?

-Unemployment >4m

-Close all the pits

-Privatise everything in sight

-Destroyed our manufacturing base.

Exactly. They only favour the upper classes.

I also dont trust a party that makes so many promises, yet refuses point blank to tell voters how they'll pay for it. Also look Cameron's so called 'people power' policies, then look at the Lib Dems from the last 2 gen elections. See anything familiar?

The IMF have poo-poo'd the Tory economic policies for sometime - http://news.google.co.uk/news?q=imf%20tory&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rlz=1R1GGGL_en-GB___GB355&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wn

Also Babs, just think about the people power prmise. It's merely so they couldnt be blamed for the f* ups that will arise from the people making the decisions we elect a government to do!

I know everyone is sick of labour, me too. But please READ the manifesto's rather than going on the days soundbites. And vote for who you agree with the most. This time round votes for parties other than Labour and Tory WONT be a wasted vote as people cry out every gen election. This time, it could actually make all the difference.!!!!!!

There are more parties that just Labour or Tories ;)

BNP then? :notme:

If their election manifesto matches what you are seeking from a party, then that's your choice.

Just so shocked and saddened people are told to believe there are only 2 choices to vote for, and so many people will be protest voting rather than with their heart and beliefs.

We're becoming more like the US each election :(

If their election manifesto matches what you are seeking from a party, then that's your choice.

Just so shocked and saddened people are told to believe there are only 2 choices to vote for, and so many people will be protest voting rather than with their heart and beliefs.

Then maybe we should have a different electoral system?

TBH, I'm shocked that more people aren't going to tactically vote in this election according to the results of this poll. There will be a lot of wasted votes out there!

But what will it achieve?

Either a Labour or Tory landslide. Both are nightmares IMO.

I know what you mean.

I happen to be in an area where I can vote for who I want to but it could also be considered a tactical vote so I win both ways :)

I've figured out, gadgetman are OctaviaT81 are very, very, very Liberal Democrat. And because gadgetman says so, we're all wrong :dull: