Travel problems

moley

Well I made it back home at 9:00 this morning.

Yesterday morning we started phoning the trains, buses hire cars etc and the best we could get was a train from Cologne to Brussels then the eurostar to London on Sunday afternoon, Ist class for 350 euros with only one seat left!

We booked this as there was only a 4 euro cancellation fee. However the eurolines bus people said check the website every 2 hrs as they were trying to get more buses on the routes, so a lunchtime we managed to get bus for 8:00 pm from Cologne to london via the Calais to Dover Ferry. This dropped us all off in Park lane at about 6:20 this morning. Tube to Victoria, Gatwick express, shuttle bus to the parking and home.

Unloaded the car to see a scratch on the rear bumper that wasn't there when I left the car on Wednesday :thumbdown:

To see the road outside Gatwick south terminal empty, with all the trolleys parked up was rather strange and this could go on for days.

I do feel sorry for all that have been effect by this, but..............from someone that lives near Heathrow its just brill! Quiet, not a plane in the sky............real peaceful.

So looking at the silver lining!

I do feel sorry for all that have been effect by this, but..............from someone that lives near Heathrow its just brill! Quiet, not a plane in the sky............real peaceful.

So looking at the silver lining!

It's exactly the same for me! It helps that the weather has been so fantastic today as well! It is nice to sit outside and not have a plane fly over head every 10 or 15 minutes!!

On the other hand, I'm glad the OP managed to return home safely! The Germans here are still here, and stuck until further notice, and I still have a relative stuck in Denmark!

Best wishes to anyone this effects in a negative way, for me, the peace and quiet is lovely!!

So that's it then. After 3 days of hoping everything would be ok, plans dashed a few minutes ago when advised that hols beginning tomorrow morning were cancelled. No flights Glasgow to Heathrow and flight Heathrow - Miami now not operating. Cruise ship sails Monday without us emoticon-0183-swear.gif

So if anybody is looking for a deluxe penthouse suite with 2 loos, 2 plasmas, huge balcony, free ensuite bar etc for 18 days to cross the Atlantic and then sail through the Mediterranean, then I know one that's going to be vacant................... emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

I feel for anyone that is having their holiday canx, my aunt and uncle was meant to be going away tomorrow morning...............looks like that wont happen.

Thanks for the sympathyemoticon-0148-yes.gif The worst bit this morning was unpacking the 4 suitcases which had taken days to organise!

At least we're stuck at home - and getting a full refund of over £5K. I'm reallly sorry for those stuck abroad whose insurance is not covering the additional costs.

Thanks for the sympathyemoticon-0148-yes.gif The worst bit this morning was unpacking the 4 suitcases which had taken days to organise!

At least we're stuck at home - and getting a full refund of over £5K. I'm reallly sorry for those stuck abroad whose insurance is not covering the additional costs.

You have my sympathies also.

We are due to fly to Florida in 3 weeks time. From what i have been reading i am slightly concerned we may not be going. lol.

Just our of interest is it your tour operator that gives you the refund as i am unsure what will happen should i be in the same predicament.

You have my sympathies also.

We are due to fly to Florida in 3 weeks time. From what i have been reading i am slightly concerned we may not be going. lol.

Just our of interest is it your tour operator that gives you the refund as i am unsure what will happen should i be in the same predicament.

If you have booked a 'package' holiday ie flights + hotel (say) as one deal there are special regulations which mean you should get a refund on the whole amount, even if it is only the flight that is cancelled. If you booked via a travel agent then the refund authorisation will be sent by the tour operator to the travel agent (normally takes around 7 days). If you paid the travel agent for the package by credit card then the amount of the refund will be credited by the travel agent back to your credit card.

If you booked the flights and Florida hotels separately (say on the internet) with a credit card then you might only get a refund on the flights as the overseas hotels are an' innocent' party and probably not covered by the protection offered by the credit card under British legislation. Much would depend on the goodwill of the overseas hotels etc providing a refund.

Travel insurance is proving to be tricky as some policies cover cancellation due to 'weather conditions'. Others are claimimg that volcanic ash is a force majeur and not covered. Might be worthwhile checking the small print in your policy. Don't be tempted to take out new insurance if you are not covered because the 'problem' is now a known hazard and therefore likely to be excluded from new policies taken out after last Wednesday.

Hope this helps and you have no problems.

Edited by westerdam2

If you have booked a 'package' holiday ie flights + hotel (say) as one deal there are special regulations which mean you should get a refund on the whole amount, even if it is only the flight that is cancelled. If you booked via a travel agent then the refund authorisation will be sent by the tour operator to the travel agent (normally takes around 7 days). If you paid the travel agent for the package by credit card then the amount of the refund will be credited by the travel agent back to your credit card.

If you booked the flights and Florida hotels separately (say on the internet) with a credit card then you might only get a refund on the flights as the overseas hotels are an' innocent' party and probably not covered by the protection offered by the credit card under British legislation. Much would depend on the goodwill of the overseas hotels etc providing a refund.

Travel insurance is proving to be tricky as some policies cover cancellation due to 'weather conditions'. Others are claimimg that volcanic ash is a force majeur and not covered. Might be worthwhile checking the small print in your policy. Don't be tempted to take out new insurance if you are not covered because the 'problem' is now a known hazard and therefore likely to be excluded from new policies taken out after last Wednesday.

Hope this helps and you have no problems.

Thanks for that. We have booked a package through Travel City Direct, who are owned by Virgin so hopefully if the worse does happen we should be ok.

Days??

Forget about reading what the papers say and look to see what the experts are saying, this could go on for months!!

According to a geologist/scientist from Newcastle University, the last eruption from the same Volcano lasted (on and off) for 12-18 months, from 1821 to 1823!! :o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyjafjallaj%C3%B6kull#1821_to_1823_eruptions

The old man just got the bad news from the powers above. If the air ban goes on that there will be people laid off. They can manage another 3 days and after that the money they lose every day will be to great and job will have to go.

It would be a bu**er if he gets laid off 2 years before retirement!

So all in all its good news for all!

Not good news :'( polocoupe- what does he do or who does he work for that is so affected?

Sympathies to you westerdam2 on not getting on your cruise- it sounded lovely but glad you got refund :thumbup: and hope you can re book sometime? if you can face all that re packing...

Glad to hear OP Moley got back ok after a detour!

Hope Roblatus that it is all over for your trip... :yes:

My story is... worried mum waiting for her teeenage son to get back from a school ruby tour in South Africa :S

- he has been out there for just over 2 weeks and was supposed to be flying from Johannesburg tonight and arriving London tomorrow morning...

had a text at 1.30pm to say flight cancelled and they are staying in Durban tonight and have not gone up to J'burg as felt to be safer :( .

They may be able to get on a flight tomorrow, as they have priority as all minors, so will just have to wait and see what happens may be they will divert them to Madrid?

At least they have accomodation and food and are safe and he is with all his mates- I pity the 4 teachers having to cope with 26 boys and a girls hockey squad as well who are probably all feeling a bit wobbly ... :'( like mum!