Picking Up New Vrs On Friday Advice Needed Please.

leon

I tend to avoid cars that have a high number of owners, there must be a reason why say an owner only kept it for a few months. I know, I have done just that. The mondeo is 10 years old and shows 2 previous owners on the V5.

Originally posted by KentStu in this post

Leon / day tripper - Stimps' comment re: the logbook is a good one - an awful lot of RS owners on here were driving around on TDi Ambientes according to the DVLA documentation! Not sure if Skoda have fixed this with the DVLA yet but to save yourself hassle make sure you check and, if wrong, get them to write the letter to DVLA then & there. Have fun and remember the RS wave :wave: (sorry Dennis couldn't resist :p )

Thats a good one! I was wonder whether it would be possible to insure it as a TDi Ambiente since nearly all insurers ask for the registration plate and since this (I'd imagine) would be from the DVLA it would be on the companies system as an TDi Ambiente. Doubt you'd get away with it however. The insurer may want to know why you filled it with Petrol every week.....

As posted in a thread here: http://briskoda.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1589 it still happens. I let the dealer take care of it, only to receive another letter from the DVLA 3 weeks later which offered me 2 choices:

1) Register it as an Octavia (no type)

2) Register it as a Octavia RS, but run the risk that when a manufacturers recall happens I won't get notified abou it as the model wont show up in their system.

Now, to me that is just unacceptable, so I let the dealer once more get in touch with Skoda UK and the DVLA... Have yet to receive the amended V5 though :(

Q.

Its not just the DVLA that is having problems. My 2002 4X4 Estate is identified on my Norwich Union Direct car policy schedule as a 2002 Skoda Octavia Elegance T. Apparently that's as close as they could get to the right description. And lest you are wondering, yes it is insured as a 4X4 Estate with premium to match! :(

Someone might have said this already but what happens when your car is a write off and it's been described as a 1.8T Elegance?

Surely those nice insurance people would only give you the relevant cost to replace a 4x4 as opposed to a 1.8T Elegance?

Another insurance company scam?:rolleyes:

Or worse, call the insurance void cos it isn't the correct vehicle description? Thats why it is so important to verify the details on V5...

..........Or you get stopped at the Channel Tunnel security point, because the security camera has picked up your registration number, bounced it off the DVLA database, and the car they can see doesn't appear to be a 1.9d Ambiente. Took some time to get out of that one, I can tell you!

Phil

Wouldn't necessarily call it an insurance scam - I got quotes from Axa for incurance which was seriously cheap only to find that relied on getting the car description from the DVLA - only in the small(ish) print did I see that it related to a TDi Ambiente (actually JaneC pointed it out as she got the same quote!). Its the DVLAs error and your responsibility to check the insurance details - if the quotes too good to be true it probably is :rolleyes:

The DVLA repeatedly point their fingers to Skoda as they supply the DVLA with the model/type descriptions... But how this still can be the case some years after 1st introduction is beyond me...

Thanks for all of your opinions, It's great to have so many back for a change ;) I currently driving a golf V5 170! a nice car only four months old in fact but I've had nightmare problems with it, including being towed off the M1 after the car just died at speed! for no reason, I was toying with the idea of the VRS before I bought the Golf and (I admit it) my own snobbery put me off, but boy was I wrong!!

I've since read this forum every day and spent all the time kicking myself with envy!!! anyway last week was the final straw when the nazi's at VW said the fault with my V5 was not their fault (unfindable!) after three weeks in the service bay! and I was going to have to wait for something major to break to enable them to diagnose the fault correctly!!! That was enough ammo for me (sadly using child safety to justify the loss of vast amounts of cash to the missus! hehe!) to take a trip to my local Skoda dealer (Whom have been fantastic!) to order my gleaming new RED! baby...

And if you travel up and down the M1/M62 between Sheffield and Bradford on a daily basis in your Skoda's between 8:30 and 9:30 am and 5:30 and 6:30 PM and see a red VRS go by give it a hoot as it'll prolly be me! I see at least three VRS's on my way to work going to and fro...

I'll be the one with the big smile on my face ;) Looking forward to being on board.

I just saw my V5 when I taxed my car recently (I don't know why - I didn't need it) - My TDI is down as an elegance trim level. Whilst I don't mind this, could it be possibly over-inflating the value of my car in the eyes of Tesco Insurance? If so, I may have to make sure they know its just a comfort trim when I get the policy renewed in August.

Greg - thats what mine is under as well - RS Turbo I guess :confused: The "v" thing seems to be a PR thing to appease Ford but DVLA and insurance companies don't seem to worry about it - for insurers I guess the Turbo bit is more improtant.