Another Squeaky Brakes Thread

Ill admit it, Im not a harsh driver in any way, so I also admit my brakes dont get the pounding they sometimes need. Recently though they have developed a bad high pitched grinding noise when used, I searched on here and the consensus seems to be 70+mph to 10mph hard braking, and hard braking in reverse.

I have now done the 70+ to 10mph brake 4-5 times now and the fast reverse brake twice (finding a suitable unused patch of road can be tricky sometimes.) and the noise does quieten for a short while but seems to slowly come back when the car has been stood for a few hours.

Its not just a small squeaky grind either, its a sound that would make double decker buses cringe.

I also noticed when the windows are down, closely passing parked cars at around 20-25, I can hear the sound reflection of my car of a metalic sound that sounds like a spoon stirring round a metal bowl (sorry for the bad descriptions!). Might not be related, but cant say Ive noticed it before. But as with all things like this, when something goes wrong, suddenly every rattle and clunk becomes much louder!

It was in the garage a couple of weeks ago, they checked and said the brakes were fine, and then not long after, this noise developed.

Could they have done something that led to this?

Is it likely to be a stuck stone/grit/etc?

Stuck Brakes?

Anything else I can try? Keeping in mind Im not a master mechanic, but I dont mind having a go at something. ;)

The brakes work fine btw.

Any help appreciated

Edited by Rhoobarb

If a garage said the brakes were fine a few weeks back, it's unlikely to be anything other than a stone under a disc shield.

To shift those, working one corner at a time, jack up the car and support on an axle stand. Remove the road wheel, and slide the biggest screwdriver you own that can fit into the arch undr the the shield. Lever the shield away from the disc so it flexes but doesn't actually bend. Keep working round the disc until you've finished, or a small stone drops out.

When the stone drops, that should be job jobbed, but you may want to have a garage check the discs that end for scoring.

• 3 weeks later...

I used the nice weather to try and take my time getting this right but am now pulling my hair out. I went round each wheel, took it off, had a big dig all round the area between disc and shield with a big screwdriver. After each wheel was done I tested for the noise. Still there.

I listened closely for the sound and it sounds like the rear brakes make a loud squeak when braking in reverse and the fronts both squeak when braking forwards. The noise is only there during medium braking, light braking just makes a small 'grinding' noise and hard braking doesnt make any sound.

I guess its the pads gone, but thats only a guess but no warning light from the car.

Anyone have any ideas on anything else I can try?

If the pads have gone that fast, I'd question the professional competence of your garage.

It's not impossible that that the stone is still stuck, or wore a score in a disc then fell out. Equally, it's not totally impossible that you've got a loose pad (sticky-backs; no safety issue, just noisy) or a backplate needs greasing (conventional pads). Or it could be a wheel bearing, try driving round in tight circles and see it you can get it to make more or less noise turning one way than the other.

If the pads have gone that fast, I'd question the professional competence of your garage.

It's not impossible that that the stone is still stuck, or wore a score in a disc then fell out. Equally, it's not totally impossible that you've got a loose pad (sticky-backs; no safety issue, just noisy) or a backplate needs greasing (conventional pads). Or it could be a wheel bearing, try driving round in tight circles and see it you can get it to make more or less noise turning one way than the other.

Right, I took it to my local tyre & brake place who said they would take a quick look FOC. Thankfully it made the noises for them and the guy said he was pretty sure it was dirt between the pads and discs. He gave the fronts a squirt with brake cleaner and said to give it a go and if the problem persisted to come back and they would take the wheels off, dismantle and clean the brakes for 20 quid.

The first set of lights, brakes on, noise on.

Guess its back to them tomorrow to get them cleaned properly.

Heres hoping thats all it is.....

Although for some reason I now need 4 new tyres because they are all starting to split round the edges, tread separation in tyres less than 6k? I swear someones out to get me so I cant have a nice car..

Edited by Rhoobarb

Success!! Well at least so far.....

After £4 on a 7mm allen key (why 7??) and a bottle of meths, my brakes are now clean and silent. I decided to take the plunge and do it myself.

If I had known how easy it was I would have done it sooner. Guess its one of those brakes/safety/novice type theories.

The pads were a nice chocolate brown colour (volcanic dust maybe??), after meths, soapy water and meths again they are a much better flecked grey.

Small potatoes to most on here, but am chuffed anyway lol.

Thanks very much Ken, big help ;)

Tyres next *sigh*

Edited by Rhoobarb

• 2 years later...

** Thread Revival - Save making a new thread **

I've noticed just recently that my brakes are squeaking (from the front of the car), when I'm at speeds < 15mph, coming to a stop or just gently pressing the brakes. I've had a read about and it sounds like I might need some new discs / pads?

Is there a way to check whether this is correct, without taking the actual wheel off or incurring costs at a dealer to check it?

Edited by Wardy-

I have been driven crazy by this same problem .It started about a year ago, had it in a couple of garages they said there was no problem plenty of life left in the pads etc.

Ithen took itto another garage who stripped them down found that the pads crumbled into bits when removed , so I bit the bullet and replaced pads and discs ,problem solved no noise and the brakes had much more feel and bite .

Now a year later same problem brakes feel crap ,grinding noise and the outer inch of the discs are 'wrinkled ' its like to or three lines running right round the discs . Had it back in the garage the machanic says it because the pads these days have bits of metal running through them sounds like a lot of **** to me !

I changed my front discs and pads last year and the noise is horendous! Clicking,clunking and grinding! But I did use Eicher for under £70 so I have nobody to blame but myself! All is good with the operation it's passed three taxi MOT's. Maybe you also have cheap parts fitted?

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

thanks for the replies guys.

I've got a mate coming to look at it tonight to see if he diagnose it. Will keep you posted with what he says!

To add to my original post above.... this only happens when the brakes are warm/hot. Couldn't replicate the issue with a cold start.

Looks like my back discs are a bit worn. Possible this or maybe a build up of dust.

Going to take them off this weekend and have a proper check

good luck with that one mate, it's not impossible but you need some good 'tooling'

good luck with that one mate, it's not impossible but you need some good 'tooling'

Sorry misleading message I put there! I meant I'll be taking the wheels off to have a better look :giggle:

Sorry misleading message I put there! I meant I'll be taking the wheels off to have a better look :giggle:

ah right a much easier job lol get yourself a can of brake cleaner, see if that helps.