What's in a name

Afternoon all,

First post so I thought it may as well be slightly off beat.

Pronunciation, now is it Octarvia or Octayvia?

Oc-tay-vee-ah

Though in some european media it's called Octarvia I think.

Mind, the proper czech pronounciation of Skoda is Sh-koda, and not Skoda

Edited by gorebrush

Oc-tay-vee-ah

Though in some european media it's called Octarvia I think.

Mind, the proper czech pronounciation of Skoda is Sh-koda, and not Skoda

Down in Bristol its called OCTAVIAL. and the smaller one a FABIAL .But then we use to have Ford Cortinals and people here go to holiday in Majorcal and Americal. Tis a lovely areal though you!!

Forgot to say in Bath it would be OCT TAY-VE-AR

Edited by morganic

...And something about the name Octavia vRS (pronounced v-R-S :giggle: )...

Apparently when the Skoda 130 RS trumped opposition in its class on the track in the 1970s, Ford either didn't notice or feel threatened enough to complain, even though they had already claimed rights on 'RS'.

Fast forward just over 20 years and Skoda (now with its VW big brother) tried to reintroduce 'RS' for the most powerful Octavia. Ford was not a happy bunny and Skoda had to choose an alternative.

Don't know why they stuck a 'v' in front of it - perhaps it was a message to Ford with their fingers?

Edited by Cauliflower

Ah, I often wondered - because my local dealer refers to it as Octarvia, and I'd always thought it was Octayvia. I thought it might be a game between the staff to see how many customers they could persuade to pronounce it wrongly...

Down in Bristol its called OCTAVIAL. and the smaller one a FABIAL .But then we use to have Ford Cortinals and people here go to holiday in Majorcal and Americal. Tis a lovely areal though you!!

Forgot to say in Bath it would be OCT TAY-VE-AR

Further North in South Gloucestershire, it's pronounced OCTAYVER. Across the border in plain vanilla Gloucestershire, it's not called anything at all as none of the in-bred half-wits can read. :giggle:

I say Octayvia, but Ive met a lot of people who say Octarvia, not heard anyone say Farbia yet though lol

Tomayto Tomarto

Both Girls names and both pronounced in their country of origin as Octarvia and Farbia - we have both cars and have never considered pronouncing them any differently from this - most people we meet are the same way inclined. I have never heard anyone use the Faybia version though Octayvia is quite common.