She's a Rattler!

octy888

I'm just wondering whether any of my coherts on Saturday would like to comment about any rattles they noted on the 20+ miles of off-roading, as that surely was a good test.

(ignoring the rattle from the bottle of Lady P's Pimms!)

Hi Llanigraham,

Pat was quite with the exception of the occasional thump from the front suspension and the odd large stone hitting the under-body protection. Dash noises did not reappear until the infamous A166 between Fridaythorpe and Driffield.

About time the council did a proper resurface job rather than tar & chippings every year, which then gets ripped up in the winter :S

Regards,

TP

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<snip>. I think that it is going a little far to suggest that Volkswagen group will deliberately lower the build standard of Skodas to create distance between the brands. They will perhaps make the cars more basic or have a cheaper feeling trim than the VWs but they are not about to get the British Leyland boys in to build them.

<snip>

There was a previous thread on this forum raising this very point but unfortunately I cannot trace it and do a link.

Here's a summary.....

Direct Competition

The real reason for Jung's departure is that the Czech VW subsidiary is no longer performing the function it was meant to perform within the VW Group, which was to sell inexpensive, entry-level cars. Instead, Skoda models are increasingly competing directly with their sister autos from VW. Even worse, in some cases the Skoda models are winning out over their German counterparts.

VW CEO Martin Winterkorn was furious when the Skoda Superb large family car won a comparison test against VW's Passat in the influential German automotive magazine Auto Bild. The magazine wrote that the Superb "simply offers more for the money -- a lot more features, and even more space." And when it came to quality, the testers found that there was "hardly any difference" between the Skoda and VW models. This isn't surprising. Skoda uses VW technology, but it also equips its models with classy details such as 17-inch instead of 16-inch wheels, as well as leather, wood and chrome-plated fixtures in its interiors.

Full article Skoda spells trouble for parent company Volkswagen

Edited by Y4YETI

I seriously doubt that the Skoda guys will deliberately degrade the brand to make other VAG managers looks better. Also, do not forget that these public announcements of management changes do have a strong political (=BS) component and do not often reveal the real reasons for the change.

Rather, I think the Skoda successes will be used to improve the other brands to get further ahead. Note that the upcoming Passat later this year will have larger emphasis on cabin luxury and quality - probably more aimed at having the road warriors stay with Passat Combi's in competition with MBW 5 sseries and Audi A 4 Avants.

There was a previous thread on this forum raising this very point but unfortunately I cannot trace it and do a link.

Here's a summary.....

Full article Skoda spells trouble for parent company Volkswagen

I have heard tell that Freelander dealers are seriously worried about expanding Yeti sales B) eating into their sales figures :giggle:

Now Y4YETI I don't think you have your Yeti any more do you?

I believe you now have a FREELANDER like Worldlife too!!!

Strange :angel: how you both seem so keen to continue negative Yeti discussions in such an aggressive manner once again...history repeating itself...I for one am BORED (once again!) with your rhetoric and wonder :wonder: if any Freelander dealers could possibly be offering incentives to Freelander owners to diss on the Yeti....No NO surely NOT...what a thought: :sweat:

Who's up for a visit to the Freelander forum then :rofl::rofl:

Lady Penelope

Who's up for a visit to the Freelander forum then emoticon-0140-rofl.gifemoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Lady Penelope

Lady P let us not lower our standards to theirs. Their constant visiting and bleating does come across extremely childish. Let the children be.

I'm just wondering whether any of my coherts on Saturday would like to comment about any rattles they noted on the 20+ miles of off-roading, as that surely was a good test.

(ignoring the rattle from the bottle of Lady P's Pimms!)

In response to the above I can say that I was most satisfied with my cars performance including a rough road from hell.

And in talking build quality and rubber seals, despite the sometimes incredible choking dust thrown up by the dirt track, not one bit found it's way into the cabin, and very little into the engine compartment.

[<snip>

I believe you now have a FREELANDER like Worldlife too!!![/color]

Strange :angel: how you both seem so keen to continue negative Yeti discussions in such an aggressive manner once again...history repeating itself...I for one am BORED (once again!) with your rhetoric and wonder :wonder: if any Freelander dealers could possibly be offering incentives to Freelander owners to diss on the Yeti....No NO surely NOT...what a thought: :sweat:

<snip>

Lady Penelope[/color]

Strange too that you regard as "aggressive" objective input that disturbs infatuation.

I was looking forward to another high quality excellent value vehicle from Skoda and for me it was sad, and a little expensive, that the Yeti failed to meet the standards set by previous Skoda vehicles

Others have disagreed with my post here but I have accepted their comments as constructive, valuable and friendly input into helping Skoda become aware of customer concerns (as well as love affairs :) )

You may recall in one of my earlier threads I raised the issue of the shoddily fitted linings between the wheel arches and wheels.

On the rear wheels the linings were loose with an obvious and moving gap between the lining and body. If I recall correctly someone suggested that the space was to ensure the body panels did not receive direct sound transmission of road debris hitting this protective layer. I would suggest that badly sized and fitted wheel linings could well give rise to some rattles. On the front wheels the arch lining was fixed slightly mismatched to the actual wheel arch. This was certainly below the standard of workmanship for other Skodas we have owned.

Strange too that you regard as "aggressive" objective input that disturbs infatuation.

Automotive Forums are all about objective input as they are about discussing the niggles, complaints and problems members have with their vehicle but, like Lady P, I have always had the firm impression your input has been designed to offer destructive rather than constructive criticism by the sheer time, effort and research you've apparently put in to bringing up largely irrelevant topics for the majority of Yeti owners like the use of Snow Chains in EU "member state" countries (has anyone had a problem regarding this yet?), DSG gearbox recalls on other VAG models and other such criticisms that you, personally, and us, for the most part, were far removed from. We have another criticism about the standard of workmanship but this is now offered up from yourself as a Land Rover Freelander owner.

I think I'm fairly assured of the general reaction I'd get from the BMW X3 owners community if, as a current Land Rover Freelander owner, I started taking a swipe at the standard of their cars on their forums without any solid personal reference to back my criticisms up. I'd probably be accused of being a troll and told to f*** off to my own forums.

I find it strange that you don't seem to be aware of that too.

Edited by davecarter

<snip>I think I'm fairly assured of the general reaction I'd get from the BMW X3 owners community if, as a current Land Rover Freelander owner, I started taking a swipe at the standard of their cars on their forums without any solid personal reference to back my criticisms up. I'd probably be accused of being a troll and told to f*** off to my own forums. <snip>

We were very satisfied Skoda owners hence the reason for opting for a Yeti.

Our expeience is that the Yeti does not appear to offer value for money and quality in comparison with our previous Skodas including a Superb.

Our Superb compared quite favourably with the Freelander for price, quality, overall noise levels , comfort and value for money.

Instead of knocking me you should be knocking Skoda to ensure the Yeti meets the expectations of long standing Skoda customers.

It seems obvious to me that the lining of the wheel arches should fit accurately and neatly and not have excessive play that could give rise to problems described in this forum - are you suggesting I did not observe this correctly during my ownership of a Yeti?.

Oh........FFS STOP!!!!

I personally can see both viewpoints. Theres nothing wrong with Y4YETI's views and he makes valid points. It does however strike me that if you no longer own a Skoda...why frequent its forums.

But at the same time if he wants to make a point let him make it, read and take it as you will. The simple fact is the Yeti is far from perfect and I think everyone can agree its quality is not up to normal Skoda standards right now, unless you have been lucky enough to get a good one.......which i accept is the MAJORITY of owners.

Edited by octy888

We were very satisfied Skoda owners hence the reason for opting for a Yeti.

Our expeience is that the Yeti does not appear to offer value for money and quality in comparison with our previous Skodas including a Superb.

Our Superb compared quite favourably with the Freelander for price, quality, overall noise levels , comfort and value for money.

Instead of knocking me you should be knocking Skoda to ensure the Yeti meets the expectations of long standing Skoda customers.

It seems obvious to me that the lining of the wheel arches should fit accurately and neatly and not have excessive play that could give rise to problems described in this forum - are you suggesting I did not observe this correctly during my ownership of a Yeti?.

On point 1 - Yes, a natural thing to do.

On point 2 - That is your opinion from personal experience which the regular members of this forum are all very aware of and have been for some time - fair enough. My point here is, why do you continue to emphasise this and express your views even now you are no longer a Skoda owner and you must now be fully aware your comments will be seen as negative and derogatory by a section of this community. It rather smells of antagonism, does it not?

On point 3 - I think a fair proportion of owners (myself included) would say their Yeti fared rather better in terms of price, quality, overall noise levels, comfort and (most definitely) value for money against a Freelander.

On point 4 - Why would I want to start knocking Skoda as a very satisfied new customer? I sympathise with those who have problems but don't ALL car manufacturers have problems experienced by owners of one sort or another? I'm not going to start rubbishing Skoda just because Joe Bloggs from Newcastle isn't satisfied. If any one particular problem is experienced by a large percentage of owners then it might justify a formal complaint and some due criticism. I am not aware that any such "global" problem has beset Yeti owners thus far.

On point 5 - Who am I to argue what you observed but you are rather missing my overall point that I was trying to get across to you in my previous response (or ignoring it) which would confirm my suspicions raised about antagonism or, would you rather me spell it out to you... (omitting the 4 letter expletives, of course!)

Oh........FFS STOP!!!!

I personally can see both viewpoints. Theres nothing wrong with Y4YETI's views and he makes valid points. It does however strike me that if you no longer own a Skoda...why frequent its forums.

But at the same time if he wants to make a point let him make it, read and take it as you will. The simple fact is the Yeti is far from perfect and I think everyone can agree its quality is not up to normal Skoda standards right now, unless you have been lucky enough to get a good one.......which i accept is the MAJORITY of owners.

I'm sorry Octy888 but, whether Y4Yeti makes valid points or not, this kind of incessant and deliberate antagonism really gets my goat! What other reason can there be for continuing on a forum for a car you no longer own? OK! Maybe I shouldn't let it get to me but IT DOES and, because of that, I'd be quite happy to slug it out with the guy.

No, the Skoda Yeti isn't perfect. Do any car manufacturers produce perfect cars? No, and I can quite happily accept most people's rants when they are unfortunate enough to be the beholder of an imperfect car - when the attitude and intentions are in the right place, which they clearly aren't with Y4Yeti.

I've made my point so I'll stop, I have no desire to fall out with you.

As a current Freelander owner who frequents the 4x4 and Land Rover forums too much (according to SWMABO) I can honestly say that I have only seen the Yeti mentioned on 2 of them, and that was because I did it!! Sorry to say that most of those forums are as singular as here.

Y4Yeti, are you on any of the Freelander/ LR forums? I haven't noticed if you are.

And if people want to know why I'm here; it's because I am going to replace my Freelander this year, and the Yeti was one of the 3 vehicles I was interested in. (Freelander 2/ Sportage/ Yeti) I investigated all 3 thoroughly and came to the conclusion that the Yeti gave me best value and practicallity.

As a current Freelander owner who frequents the 4x4 and Land Rover forums too much (according to SWMABO) I can honestly say that I have only seen the Yeti mentioned on 2 of them, and that was because I did it!! Sorry to say that most of those forums are as singular as here.

Y4Yeti, are you on any of the Freelander/ LR forums? I haven't noticed if you are.

And if people want to know why I'm here; it's because I am going to replace my Freelander this year, and the Yeti was one of the 3 vehicles I was interested in. (Freelander 2/ Sportage/ Yeti) I investigated all 3 thoroughly and came to the conclusion that the Yeti gave me best value and practicallity.

In stark contrast to the other Freelander owners who have "contributed" to this thread LLanigraham, I am sure I speak for the majority in saying you are a most welcome and valued member of this forum. Of course, by their very nature, these types of forum will always be singular and, more often than not, strongly supportive of their particular marque regardless of the issues, complaints, problems, etc. that are discussed on them. Owners of other cars will only bother to frequent these pages if they are looking to make a purchase such as yourself and as I did prior to mine.

I researched every small 4x4 SUV on the market for 6 months before taking sight of the Yeti and it was only this that ticked all the boxes for me. So far, I am most pleased with my decision and hope you are too. emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Like davecarter I spent many months looking and test driving various alternatives to the Yeti - due end June - nothing matched the 'bang for the bucks' and the ride was the very best.

I have previously owned a Freelander TD4 - my experience of it's reliability and the service from the dealer means I would never buy another - just my experiance.

ernieb

I'm sure that I also speak for the majority of people on this forum when I say that Y4Yeti has every right to voice his opinion of the Yeti having owned one and been less than pleased with it. He is doing every potential owner a favour by being honest about his vehicles shortcomings. Or is this just a fan club?

I'm sure that I also speak for the majority of people on this forum when I say that Y4Yeti has every right to voice his opinion of the Yeti having owned one and been less than pleased with it. He is doing every potential owner a favour by being honest about his vehicles shortcomings. Or is this just a fan club?

a "Yeti-fan" but also a defender-of-the-Y4Yeti-man to speak his mind.

All the postings have been extremely moderate and to "his" point, and NEVER personal so I agree.

Keep it up - even if it is dissing our YETI... ... ...!!!!!

I think that my Yeti represents outstanding value. I paid significantly less than £14k for a well equipped, refined, safe, comfortable and, from my experience, high quality car. A Yeti 1.2 S, not to mention the E model, is cheaper than a basic Focus or Astra and offers so much more. If the Yeti is nothing else it is great value.

Having given my car a thorough clean today I cannot fault the wheel arch linings on the front or back. I am sad enough to clean them when I wash my car and so know them quite intimately now!

well my point of view is, im coming from a £16k ford focus'....and that squeaks,rattles like my first £200 car from 25 years ago'...i should imagine most cars these days have certain squeaks'..turn the cd up is what id say, as for the yeti, im still waiting for mine as u know, but the 2 that ive demo'd have been seriously quiet''...i was an avid skoda owner of 15 years having owned various skoda models, until i owned a bad felicia and said id never have another...that is until i saw a yeti and knowing that my current car a ford focus never made me happy( bought new in 2007)..i cant honestly wait for mine to arrive' so what if it has a squeak/rattle, the roads round here dont lend to good quiet driving anyways..yorkshire is one big pothole !!!.....so my point is let the ex yeti owners post there views, for every disgruntled owner, there will be 9 happy ones!!...heck freelanders aint without there own problems, and im sure we WILL hear about them soon :rofl: ......UP THE YETI B)

a "Yeti-fan" but also a defender-of-the-Y4Yeti-man to speak his mind.

All the postings have been extremely moderate and to "his" point, and NEVER personal so I agree.

Keep it up - even if it is dissing our YETI... ... ...!!!!!

OK! I give in (last word... honest!). This is a public forum and everyone does have a right to speak their mind. Maybe I'm the only one who sees undertones of antagonism in Y4Yeti's post and questions his motives but I would hardly describe his crusade about the Snow Chains as "extremely moderate", particularly as I would hazard a good guess that the number of times Mr Y4Yeti has made trips (or is about to make) to EU Member countries that have required him to fit snow chains to his nice new Freelander quite possibly number "zero".

Do you honestly want more to read from Y4Yeti about the issue of Snow Chains, DSG recalls (which haven't affected the Yeti) and so on??? Mmmmmmm!!!! emoticon-0110-tongueout.gif

In an effort to cure my creaky rubber rear door seals I have been visiting forums for other manufacturers and have found endless threads with people going on about creaks and rattles. I have been looking at BMW, Renault, Saab, Mercedes, Alfa, Nissan and Audi. Believe me, the forums for the other manufacturers are bursting with people talking about rattles. Have to say that most posts that I have read are very good natured and people don't seem to take a dislike to their cars on the other forums because of a rattle; they just look for answers.

I wonder if some people (not singling anyone out here, just a thought) who condemn the Yeti because of a fault that they found are really angry with themselves for buying a car that was not really for them and venting their frustration on the car? It seems odd for someone to say my dash rattles ergo the car is junk. I have a door seal creak issue that I am determined to resolve but the virtues of the Yeti shine through this and don't lead me to doubt the car as a complete product.

I have picked up some very good tips for curing door seal creaks and will post the solution when I have the answer. Incidentally, Mrs Shrub's little smart has creaky door seals and so I am led to believe that it is a chemical in the cleaning products that I use that have contributed to this.

I agree, all cars make the odd noise. Our other car does it but its acceptable.

However the rattles in our Yeti are far from acceptable, being numerous and annoying and occurring at such a low mileage. I agree a single rattle wouldn't make me dislike a car, but when you get 5 (minimum - they are hard to count) that can be somewhat tiresome and give the impression that the car is in fact junk.

I don't hate our Yeti, its the right vehicle for us. Its just a pity Skoda didn't build it properly.

Shrub you talk about people being angry with themselves - the anger I'm sure is towards Skoda, certainly is for me. I'd love you to drive my Yeti (I know you're not too far away) and get your reaction as to whether it is 'junk' or not.

And for those who are new to Yeti ownership - let me say ours was silent for the first 1000 miles or so........something for you guys to look forwards to maybe!

Well our piece of junk (great car it is otherwise) is at the dealer Monday, D-day, will let you all know how we get on.

Edited by octy888

<snip>

I don't hate our Yeti, its the right vehicle for us. Its just a pity Skoda didn't build it properly.

Shrub you talk about people being angry with themselves - the anger I'm sure is towards Skoda, certainly is for me. I'd love you to drive my Yeti (I know you're not too far away) and get your reaction as to whether it is 'junk' or not.

<snip>

I too confirm my anger was directed towards Skoda and I am sorry if anyone on this forum felt this anger was misdirected.

I appreciate the understanding of those who feel there is clearly a need for "free speech" so as to ensure the forum is not just a fan club but a means of pressing Skoda to improve production and testing standards. Instructions were revised to allow snow chains to be fitted on the standard 17" wheels fitted to Elegance models (you can fit them to the rear wheels where the arch clearance is greater)

My real anger and final decision to get rid of the Yeti was based on a near accident caused by a lighting failure. The headlights suddenly went off on a curved slip road off a motorway leaving the road ahead unlit and emergency braking was needed.

So thanks to those who believe this forum should not just be a fan club for the Yeti but an objective feedback to ensure Skoda standards are maintained.

Maybe some of the problem here is the tremendous difference in price between the basic and top of the range models.

Those of us who have owned previous Skoda's have come to expect £30,000 plus standards of luxury cars at just over £20,000 and this standard seems to have been downgraded in the Yeti. Merc owner friends were jealous of the comfort, ride and quietness of the Skoda Superb and of course the economy of the diesel model.

Is it possible that those purchasing the base models are indeed getting a better quality than equivalent models from other manufacturers and thus feel that they are getting value for money?

Good luck Octy and remember ...... "The Esso Sign Means Happy Motoring"

...My real anger and final decision to get rid of the Yeti was based on a near accident caused by a lighting failure. The headlights suddenly went off on a curved slip road off a motorway leaving the road ahead unlit and emergency braking was needed...

I was wondering when this topic was going to re-appear:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/158617-should-light-failure-indicator-be-a-recall-issue/

Just so eveyone knows what Y4YETI is referring to :thumbup:

best wishes

Lady Penelope