Scout purchasing advice please

Quick background: I'm a Brit who moved to Christchurch, New Zealand 13 years ago. In that time we've owned 4 Subaru Outbacks, which are as common as Fords out here, for good reason as they tick so many boxes for the way many people live and work. Our other car has been until very recent a gorgeous Mazda MX-5. We've decided we can't justify 2 cars any more, so the MX-5 was sold last week :( . Our Outback is 9 years old and we're ready to trade up into a new car that provides some basic off-road capability, can cart a ton of gear 400kms up and down to Otago University in Dunedin where we have 2 daughters studying, yet most of the time provide good comfortable civilized car behaviour when driven on the roads around Christchurch. We did NOT want an SUV and our budget was ~NZ$50,000 (around 23,000 Sterling). At that price point, only 2 cars came to mind: another Subaru Outback and an Octavia Scout.

The Subaru is the safe option here. There are thousands of them on the road, readily available ex-stock. Trouble is, I just can't get excited about the latest incarnation. To my mind, it's just got a bit big and bloated and the Premium 2.5CVT model that we've looked at (we can't afford the diesel and didn't like it much anyway) just doesn't excite me. Sure, it's a classy interior and it will no doubt do everything very competently. It's got great ground clearance of 213mm and arguably the best AWD system out there. Nevertheless it has left me feeling that while it's the sensible buy, it's just a bit boring.

So, out of left field comes the Skoda Octavia Scout 2.0 diesel. These cars are as rare as hen's teeth here. Right now, there are 2 demonstrators in the country and 3 other cars on order, due late September. The brand has, until very recently, had no profile in New Zealand. Virtually everyone I mention Skoda to smiles and tries to remember a Skoda joke. But I get the feeling this is all about to change. There's a big advertising push for the Superb Combi and even today there was an article in the paper reporting on Which magazine's decision to award the Skoda car brand of the year (or something like that).

So, we have driven both cars several times and my heart tells me to buy the Skoda. I need you guys to convince me that's the right thing to do :D . The Skoda dealer has come to the party and offered what I think is a very sharp price on a new factory-ordered Scout in the colour of my choice (I'm thinking Cappucino - any thoughts on this?) with electric front seats, heated seats, front parking sensors (rear are standard here), daytime lights, VAG towbar. Are there any other options you would add to this list if it were your car you were specifiying? I've heard mixed reports on Alcantra leather seats over the standard trim (an expensive NZ$3,300 option), so again comments on this would be appreciated. The sunroof adds a further NZ$2,000 so is very had to justify. Xenon lights are another NZ$2,000, so again hard to justify. What's the false floor option (NZ$350) all about? Likewise the hill hold option @ NZ$180?

Given this is a factory order, I wonder if there are other options that I could specify, that the NZ dealer doesn't even know about?

Any comments/thoughts on all of the above would be much appreciated before we commit to one car or the other.

Many thanks,

Simon

Hi Simon,

Will try to answer some of your questions from my perspective.

I've had a new Scout for 5 weeks now, the 2.0 PD variant (you may wish to do a thread search on the new CR engine that is being fitted to all Scouts shortly) and to be fair I'm delighted with the car. I've never owned a Skoda before and it was quite a wrench to move to a lesser known brand, but I'm now glad I did.

My Scout is in Anthracite and after 1200 miles is steadily improving its economy as the engine runs in, but has still achieved 42.2 overall to date. I only have a requirement for light off road use and up to now had always gone for a full blown 4x4, the Scout still allows the off road bit but drives like a car and the handling difference is startling.

In terms of extras, the two that really do it for me are the Xenons and GSMIII with MFSW. I wouldn't have believed how much better the light coverage is with these headlights and the handsfree phone kit combined with the MFSW is excellent.

The hill hold function you mention is standard on UK cars I believe and to be honest does nothing for me, in fact I find it a bit of a nuisance.

Variable boot floor is a double boot floor, where you have another hard cover for boot which opens for you to hide and keep small stuff and it also leves the boot floor with the boot lip. I took it off last week as I traveled with a lot of kids stuff and it's easy to remove if you want even more boot space. If you load flat pack stuff it's a big help as it makes the boot flat.

AFS Xenons and curved fog lights are very good, and i tryed them a few days ago on very twisty mountain roads and they were superb.

Hill hold is good if you drive and stop on traffic on steep roads. It keeps the car 2-3 seconds so it doesn't roll backwards. I like it as i have many traffic light stops on steep roads on my way home.

Parking sensors are very good, alcantara/sunroof thats up to your budget. GSM Premium is a big help as it's so easy to work with without taking your eyes from the road or hands.

So for me it would be: Xenon, GSM, Parking sensors. All others as budget affords.

AFS Xenons and curved fog lights are very good, and i tryed them a few days ago on very twisty mountain roads and they were superb.

Are curved fog lights different to the ordinary fog lights that I think are installed as standard here? Are they part of the Xenon package i.e. you order the Xenons, you get the curved fog lights as well?

Thanks,

Simon

Ask the dealer to make sure, as every market has a different package of options as standard.

Ask for this part number:

PWG - Front fog lights with CORNER functionality

PK8 - Xenon headlights and AFS II, dynamic angle control and telescopic. front headlight washers

Mine was an option not related to Xenon.

Mines due for delivery in late August early September although it will be the 1.8Tsi.

Current car is an Octavia Elegance Estate.

Dont know what your NZ Scouts will come with as standard but I have gone pretty much for what I had on my Elegance.

Xenons - Must have. I'll never have a car without them if I can help it.

Curtain Airbags - Extra protection for the little 'un

Maxidot - Just makes the dash look classy and also lets you change some options.

Variable Boot Floor - Very handy for hiding bits away. Dead easy to take out if extra space needed. Also makes the boot floor flat so dead easy for everyday loading of stuff.

Heated front Seats - Nice for that just wet yourself feeling in the Winter.

Full sized spare - Worth the extra £50.

LED Daylights instead of fogs - Think they are a good idea.

Stuff I was not bothered about.

Sunroof - Cant see the point when the car has Climate

Hill Start - I know the car will come with it as standard but I've never had a problem starting on a hill and I guess it may be a pain in the arse.

Auto Wipers - Comes on standard UK but still not convinced after 3 years.

Self dipping mirror - Std in UK. Very good.

Tunnel lights - Std in UK. Worth the extra few quid. Been handy on hols when the place we were staying had a pitch black driveway.

Edited by Nick_H

Xenons - Must have. I'll never have a car without them if I can help it.

Curtain Airbags - Extra protection for the little 'un

Maxidot - Just makes the dash look classy and also lets you change some options.

Variable Boot Floor - Very handy for hiding bits away. Dead easy to take out if extra space needed. Also makes the boot floor flat so dead easy for everyday loading of stuff.

Heated front Seats - Nice for that just wet yourself feeling in the Winter.

Full sized spare - Worth the extra £50.

LED Daylights instead of fogs - Think they are a good idea.

Stuff I was not bothered about.

Sunroof - Cant see the point when the car has Climate

Hill Start - I know the car will come with it as standard but I've never had a problem starting on a hill and I guess it may be a pain in the arse.

Auto Wipers - Comes on standard UK but still not convinced after 3 years.

Self dipping mirror - Std in UK. Very good.

Tunnel lights - Std in UK. Worth the extra few quid. Been handy on hols when the place we were staying had a pitch black driveway.

Sounds like Xenons are a worthwhile option then? Close to equivalent of 900 quid option here. By the way, what on earth are tunnel lights?

Curtain airbags, maxidot, full size spare, auto wipers, self dipping mirror all standard in NZ spec.

Do I understand you right that you can have fogs or LED daylights, but not both?

So, I think I will go for Xenons, electric and heated seats, front park sensor (rears are standard), false boot floor.

As my car has not been ordered (and presumably therefore not yet built) can someone confirm it will definitely come with the common rail diesel?

Again, many thanks to everyone for their responses. I'll be placing my order in the next couple of days.

Sounds like Xenons are a worthwhile option then? Close to equivalent of 900 quid option here. By the way, what on earth are tunnel lights?

Curtain airbags, maxidot, full size spare, auto wipers, self dipping mirror all standard in NZ spec.

Do I understand you right that you can have fogs or LED daylights, but not both?

So, I think I will go for Xenons, electric and heated seats, front park sensor (rears are standard), false boot floor.

As my car has not been ordered (and presumably therefore not yet built) can someone confirm it will definitely come with the common rail diesel?

Again, many thanks to everyone for their responses. I'll be placing my order in the next couple of days.

Good spec. Mmm... Xenons are expensive in NZ.... Worth it though imo.

Tunnel lights are the auto light option. Just another name for it I guess.

Yes on the Scout it's either LED's or Fogs. Not both. I've used the fogs twice in 6 years so i'll not be losing sleep over not having them.

99.5% sure that if you order now it will have the CR unit.

Simon

Only saw your post today - I'm an Aussie who switched an 04 Outback for a Scout and have no regrets, especially with the new Subaru being taller (height and ground clearance) and significantly uglier). Only two downsides to the Scout for me - rear legroom isn't as good as the new Outback (although about the same as the old), and there aren't many dealers.

Our Aussie Scouts are pretty heavily specced, but I don't know about the Kiwi ones - leather and Xenons are the main things missing. Oh, front sensors too.

Good to see another Scout chooser!

Kent

Simon

Only saw your post today - I'm an Aussie who switched an 04 Outback for a Scout and have no regrets, especially with the new Subaru being taller (height and ground clearance) and significantly uglier). Only two downsides to the Scout for me - rear legroom isn't as good as the new Outback (although about the same as the old), and there aren't many dealers.

Our Aussie Scouts are pretty heavily specced, but I don't know about the Kiwi ones - leather and Xenons are the main things missing. Oh, front sensors too.

Good to see another Scout chooser!

Kent

Hi Kent, thanks for your reply. I'm really torn between the Scout and the new Outback. My head says "Outback" for the after-sales support, proven track record in this part of the world, ready supply of spare parts, strong second-hand demand. Against the Outback is its exterior looks, which in my opinion are now a little too big and bloated, although the interior is very spacious compared to the Scout. I also worry about the ground clearance of the Scout (170mm) versus the Outback (213mm) - quite a difference. We are not serious off-roaders, but do use our current Outback for light off-roading. I've driven the new Outback several times in past couple of weeks and it's perfectly competent, but IMHO a bit boring (and quite gutless in the 2.5 CVT we'd be looking at). The standard seat fabric is a pretty gross velour type finish which is another turn off.

So, putting my head to one side (wow, that hurt :smirk: ) my gut feeling is that the Scout will be the way to go. If I order now, I think I'll get the MY 2011 spec car because it is now beyond week 22, which seems to be the key cut-over date mentioned elsewhere on these forums. That I think will mean the car will be fitted with the new CR diesel motor, which I've read is more economical, but less punchy (the latter would be a shame if true, because that's one of the things I most like about the engine in the demonstrator Scout I've driven - it is surprisingly quick off the mark, very eager to pull from low down). Anyone care to comment on the relative merits of the old and new engines?

Simon - I've used the Scout a couple of times on forestry tracks, and clearance hasn't been an issue - I though the Aussie Scout was 180mm? They increased the Outback by about 20mm for this model - I've no idea why, as it was plenty on the old model.

There is no comparison between the Subaru and the Scout engines - the diesel torque is addictive, and the Subaru 2.5 wasn't great for either power or torque anyway. The Suby is a touch lighter, so the diesel comparison is a bit tighter.

As for after sales service, it and resale were the largest contributors to sleep loss after purchase. But, given the VAG backnig, I decided it couldn't be too bad, and I'd just go for it.

Oh well, too late now, I've done the deed this afternoon and placed an order for a Scout in Cappuccino, base price NZ$49,990 + NZ$1,200 on road costs. For non-New Zealanders (i.e. just about everyone here apart from me :smirk: ) everything below is included in the standard spec in New Zealand, apart from the items listed as cost options at the bottom of the list. I've struck through the options I did not select:

Safety & Security

Activation of Warning Lights During Panic Braking

Airbags - Curtain Front and Rear

Airbags - Driver and Passenger Front and Side

ASR Traction Control

Anti Theft Alarm

Driver Seatbelt Warning

EBV (Electronic Braking Effect Distribution incl ABS)

ESP (Electronic Stability Programme)

Headrest Safety System

Isofix Front Passenger Seat (incl. airbag deactivation)

Isofix Rear Seats (x 2)

Light Assist

Remote Central Locking

Three Rear Headrests

Vehicle Immobiliser

Exterior Specification

Body Colour Door Handles and Mirrors

Entry Area Illumination in Mirrors

Front and Rear Sump Guards

Front Fog Lights

Electric, Heated, Folding, Auto Dimming Mirrors with Boarding Spots

Metallic Paint

Parking Aid - Rear

Protective Strips on Sills and Mudguards in Black

Rain Sensing Wipers

Rear Window Wiper

Robust Front and Rear Black Bumpers

Roof Rails

Interior Specification

Aluminium Design Pedals

Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror

Auxiliary Input into Stereo for MP3 Players (i.e. for iPod)

Bluetooth Phone Prep II

CD - 6 Disc in-Dash Touch Screen Stereo with SD card reader (Bolero)

Chilled Glovebox and Cool Box (in armrest)

Cruise Control

Cupholders - Jumbo Size in Front Doors (1 litre bottle)

Cupholders - Standard Size in Centre Console

Digital Equaliser, Amplifier and 12 Speakers

Dual-Zone Climatronic Air Conditioning

Electric Windows Front and Rear

Floor Mats

Glasses Holder

Grab Handle for Front Seat Passenger

Height Adjustable Front Seats

Hooks for Bags in Luggage Compartment

Leather Steering Wheel

Luggage Compartment Cover

Maxi Dot Information Display

Multi Function Double Trip Computer

Multi Function Steering Wheel

Net Programme incl. Tie-Down Hoops in Luggage Compartment

Partition Net Screen

Rear Armrest (with storage and luggage compartment access)

Split Folding Rear Seats (1/3 and 2/3)

Storage Tray On Dash and Under Passenger Seat

Ticket Holder in Front Window

Upholstery

Scout Cloth

Alloy Wheels

17" Proteus Alloys with 225/50 tyres

Optional Equipment

Alcantara upholstery PLI $3,300

Columbus Navigation PNC $4,200

Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver and Mirrors PWD & PW4 $1,850

Electric Two-Way Sunroof PH0 $2,000

False Floor with Storage in Luggage Compartment PK3 $350

Heated Front Seats PW0 $450

Hill Hold Control PFB $180

LED Driving Lights 8WV $200

Mobile Device Interface (Requires Genuine Accessory Cable) UF6 $300

Parking Aid - Front 7X2 $700

Roof Rails Painted Silver PG1 $340

SunSet - Tinted Rear Windows PH7 $350

Xenon Headlights with AFS and Washer Jets PK9 $2,000

VAG-approved tow-bar/wiring $1,800

So, the total value of my package is NZ$58,450 and I managed to negotiate a discount down to $52,300 (10.5%). The total driveaway price converted to Sterling is £24,000 or €29,000. I wonder how that compares what I would have paid if I'd bought the car in Europe?

I'm assured that my car will be a model year 2011 vehicle with the common rail diesel engine. ETA for delivery to New Zealand is the end of September. All very exciting :D .

Great choice. We got ours 2 weeks ago & love it. Its our 4th Skoda & Ive also had an Impreza. Skodas were all great cars with no reliability problems, its an Audi after all.

Only thing I might have added as we did was the Alcantara trim, it includes the heated seats & just looks more durable, if you have second thoughts it may not be to late, we added xenons 2 weeks after we ordered the car without any problems.

Also re tow bars in the Uk aftermarket ones are around half the price of the Skoda ones, Installers seem to be able to sort out all the wiring / parking sensor issuers without needing the Skoda ractory fit wiring but with few Skodas in NZ this may not have be an option

I think you will be very happy, its a great car & Im already finding can be driven in quite a spirited manner despite it being a little talller than the average road car

Edited by Stuart_J

Been a Subaru owner since A451 FLR (sad or what).

Had Foresters. Imprezers, 'L' series (1.8 turbo suicide!) and the top of the range Legacy. All good reliable cars , but as others have said, the looks have gone down hill.

Changed to a 4x4 1.8 FSI octavia last year, only a a Scout actually turned up. I would prefer the shape of the Octavia Estate rather than the Scout - but, there you are.

Had the raised floor to level the back as I use it either for business with all my tools etc in the back or towing the caravan otherwise as standard.

Likes - Auto lights and wipers; pulls caravan like a tank and performance just like my beloved 'L' series. Economy - caravan = 21/22 mph; trundling around 38/39 mph but only just done 5000 miles and the performance is still improving.

Dislikes - No automatic version!!!!! The ride is not has good as the Subaru self levelling hydraulic I am used to but they don't do it any more anyway!

Personally, I think the Subaru dealers in this country have lost the plot (or don't like cash buyers!).

Why did I change to Skoda? Value and I got what I expected (and more!) for the money compared with subaru.

Only thing I might have added as we did was the Alcantara trim, it includes the heated seats & just looks more durable, if you have second thoughts it may not be to late, we added xenons 2 weeks after we ordered the car without any problems.

Also re tow bars in the Uk aftermarket ones are around half the price of the Skoda ones, Installers seem to be able to sort out all the wiring / parking sensor issuers without needing the Skoda ractory fit wiring but with few Skodas in NZ this may not have be an option

Ooh you're a bad man, tempting to spend even more money :-). There was no indication from my dealer that the Alcantra included heat. I got the impression I'd be up for paying for both options if I wanted leather and a warm bum. I've read mixed reports on the Alcantra upholstery (vaguely recall a description along the lines of "a combination of suede and PVC", which sounds a bit harsh to me. But I'd appreciate anyone commenting who has seen the standard Scout cloth alongside the Alcantra.

As for towbars, I could have gone aftermarket for a fraction of the price, but they did a good sell job on me convincing me it would be the only way that I could get proper integration with parking sensors and engine management.

The other area I'm totally unclear about still (as was the dealer) is the implementation of Bluetooth (described as Bluetooth Phone Prep II in the paperwork I've been given). I read that there has been a change in MY2011 cars (which mine will be) and it now works with most phones. My phone is a bog standard Vodafone GSM SIM-based BlackBerry, which works fine when I travel back to the UK. Will I need to do anything to the car for it to recognize and integrate with my phone?

I have Alcantara. No doubt the sides and rear faces of the seats are PVC, but the squabs are Alcantara and the side bolsters / headrest face are leather.

i.e. the wear parts are in alcantara or leather.

6 mo. in and it all still looks like new, even baby milk has not marked the alcantara.

Best pic I have is below.

688995201_cwwA3-XL.jpg

688995613_CEBGE-XL.jpg

688996588_otsLh-XL.jpg

I have Alcantara. No doubt the sides and rear faces of the seats are PVC, but the squabs are Alcantara and the side bolsters / headrest face are leather.

i.e. the wear parts are in alcantara or leather.

6 mo. in and it all still looks like new, even baby milk has not marked the alcantara.

Thanks, I thought that whoever described them as PVC was being a bit harsh! Can you confirm that if I went with Alcantra, I wouldn't need to specify heated seats, they would be included automatically for the price of the alcantra upgrade?

Edited by Simon Cobb

I cant confirm squat for NZ.

In the UK Alcantara includes Heated front seats.

My build codes includes:

4A3 = Seat heater for front seats separately controlled

But no code for Alcantara itself.

I'm always so envious when I see foo's alcantara. Looks so much better than mine (also anthracite). Another bonus is the arm rests on the door interiors also appear to be leather. I'm guessing the center one is.

Hi Folks,

I've just brought my 1.8tsi Octy Scout (new in March 2010) back from a trip in Ireland. We've now done 3500 happy miles together. But... isn't there always a 'but'!?

While away, a little light began shining to tell me that the engine oil was low. The dipstick (Yes; the one in the engine, not the one doing the measuring..) indicated mid point.

The warning light goes out after you check the level manually, but comes back on after about 60 miles ish.

As I couldn't find a garage with the recommended Helix Shell oil, I waited until I got home to top 'er off. It took 0.70 lt., to get up to the top of the mark, and the light's out.

So far so good.

But here's the question (s).

1. My old 4x4 Mk1 1.8 t Octy did 117,000 miles and never required a 'tween service oil top up. Has anyone please got any history for the new(er) 1.8tsi engine?

2. Should the warning light interrupt proceedings when the dip stick indicates well above minimum?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

ps Fuel consumption is starting to improve now. Got 40+ mpg from Fishguard coming east down to the start of the dual carriageway at St Clears. Of course then the right foot gets heavy(er)....

I cant confirm squat for NZ.

In the UK Alcantara includes Heated front seats.

Sadly, they are 2 separate items in NZ, totalling NZ$3,750. That's 1700 quid :o . I just can't stretch that far, so it will have to be heated seats only for me.

I have a couple of other questions that members might be able to answer:

1. Is there there a manual online anywhere for the latest model Scout?

2. How does the latest Bluetooth phone prep work? Will my bog standard sim-based Vodafone BlackBerry just pair with the system or will I need to add some other gizmo?

Thanks to everyone who has offered their time, thoughts and photos to help me reach a decision on buying the car. I had a great call this morning from the salesman at the Skoda dealership, who was a thoroughly nice slightly older guy . He had a career change very recently and only started work there a week ago. I was his first new car sale. Needless to say, the Subaru dealership were not happy, but accepted the decision with pretty good grace.

I'm always so envious when I see foo's alcantara. Looks so much better than mine (also anthracite). Another bonus is the arm rests on the door interiors also appear to be leather. I'm guessing the center one is.

Aw shucks. :blush:

The door trim is leather, as is the arm rest.