Uncomfortable seat

Yetihunter

I have done 1100 miles in my yeti now and seem to have backache through not being able to find a comfortable driving position.

I'm 6ft tall and there is plenty of space but I can't seem to find the ideal seat / steering wheel combo. My SE spec doesn't have lumbar support not sure if this is the issue though.

Have any of you friendly monster owners got any constructive suggestions?

Cheers

Yetihunter

Hi,

found my standard SE seats very comfortable to start with but since trapping a nerve in the back they are now completely the opposite. Like with my previous Golf but slightly worse I can feel the metal bar that runs across the bottom of the upright part of the seat frame emoticon-0101-sadsmile.gif Think the padding has softened slightly with time.

This happened with the Golf particularly in the lumber support system but unfortunately not covered by the warranty as it was classed as wear & tare.

TP

Out of interest is the back ache on one side. I seem to get a dull ache on the left side of my lower back, funnily enough I get it in ALL VAG vehicles - even when sat in the passenger seat of one! :S Work that one out!

Although I have never been uncomfortable in my Yeti, I have constantly adjusted the seat and wheel over the first 1500 miles trying to find a driving position that I am completely happy with. I think that I found it on Saturday though by raising the seat a little higher than I usually have it. No problems with actual seat comfort although they could do with a little more lateral support for those corners.

Hi

Possibly it's down to the fact that the seats and driving position resemble a van rather than a car and your legs dont stretch out in front of you but bend at the knee for the pedals, try raising the seat so that the top half of your leg is fully supported by the seat down to the underside of your knees and position the back of the seat at a reasonable straightish position then move the seat forward or back to be able to fully depress the clutch without stretching.

Hope this helps

Peter

P.s i'm 6.2 and its comfortable for me this way

I have done 1100 miles in my yeti now and seem to have backache through not being able to find a comfortable driving position.

I'm 6ft tall and there is plenty of space but I can't seem to find the ideal seat / steering wheel combo. My SE spec doesn't have lumbar support not sure if this is the issue though.

Have any of you friendly monster owners got any constructive suggestions?

Cheers

Yetihunter

Hi Yeti Hunter, Sorry to hear about your back trouble, I have had a weakness with mine for over 30 years since building a house extension. My monster has lumbar supports and I find the seating position really comfortable. As previously mentioned in another reply your thighs should be horizontal and seat set back so your arms gently push your upper back into the seat.

If your car doesn't have lumbar supports you can try a variety of DIY alternatives.... rolled up towel across the small of your back to help your lordosis or a commercial equivalent called a lumbar roll which is a sort of belt with a sponge sausage at the back or a net back rest which I got from the Pound Shop and used in my previous car.

These suggestions might sound unattractive but don't knock them till you've given them a whirl!

Worth finding out about the lordosis cos that's something common to lots of bad back cases or rather they don't have one, if you see what I mean.

Good luck

Uncomfortable SEAT - thats why we got rid of my Missus' Ibiza :rofl::rofl:

We have no problems with snowmonsters seating in the slightest. Wife and I are both 5 foot 8 ins tall AND the rearview mirror is in the right position for both of us :smirk:

Uncomfortable SEAT - thats why we got rid of my Missus' Ibiza emoticon-0140-rofl.gifemoticon-0140-rofl.gif

We have no problems with snowmonsters seating in the slightest. Wife and I are both 5 foot 8 ins tall AND the rearview mirror is in the right position for both of us emoticon-0143-smirk.gif

One of the reasons why I got rid of the Audi TT... honest! No matter how I adjusted it, it always seemed to dig into my back and never give enough support at the top. I'm convinced this was the primary cause of some serious back problems for 12 months after having the car.

I find the Yeti seats far more comfortable. Not quite as comfortable as the ones I had in my Golf GTI Mk V - they were the best I've ever had.

Jack up the seat to its highest setting, put the seat travel to comfortably reach the pedals so that your legs are as straight as possible and put the seat back upright. Then jiggle with the steering wheel/rake/reach. This has done it for me (also a 6 footer).

I have more trouble with knees and ankles and prefer the more upright position in the Yet.

So far so good, but I've only done 100 miles!i

Thanks for all the tips guys, I've got some serious seat wiggling to do now!

Love my new monster and determined to get my seat position right.

Last car was a golf and i think that spoiled me. My other half has a Fabia with wonderfully comfy seats!

I have raised my seat a little and prefer the seating position that bit higher up. I am six foot and still have at least half a dozen lever pulls of height left above me. How on earth do you really tall drivers manage with your seat all the way up? Do you not knock your heads on the top of the door opening or top of the windscreen? Sitting like this does remind me of driving a LR Discovery though.

Just to add my 5 pence worth - I'm 5' 11" and on my test drive I had the seat quite high (not much adjustment left) and found the position well suited for me. Because of an old back issue I tend to sit 'bus driver style' and find that overall this works for me.

The good thing with the Yeti is there is a wide range of seat and steering wheel adjustment so in the end it's likely to find a combination that suits most people. I've found that very small adjustments made over a week or so are needed to get the perfect position with other cars?

ernieb

I also have a feeling of achy on my left upper arm - not sure if this is the tense of driving to new car or not comfortable seat. Just got the car last Saturday so am trying to get use to it.