FL Fabia windscreen

In the spirit of discovery I was wondering about the line in the windscreen of our new Fabia. It is in the centre of the screen and runs vertically down almost two thirds of the way. It appears to be embedded - rather like a heating element of some kind. The dealer and workshop manager of the garage where we bought the car from are puzzled and I've had no reply from Skoda as yet.

Could it be something to do with the alarm? Perhaps windscreen wipers? Any ideas drop a line.

:think:

i've just had a reply from Skoda. The line in the front windscreen is an antenna (aerial) for the 'dual tuner' (radio?).

That's that problem sorted!

:nerd:

• 2 weeks later...

My FL Fabia has the line as well, weird. Also onthe bottom corners where it meets the bottom trim it has two small strips of rubber that stick up, sure my pre fl one didnt have that. Car also has wind noise as well. Looks like the factory have not lined the seals up properly. Pushed them In and under the strip of rubber at the side of the windscreen and now the noise has gone! Anyone else got this? checked a pr fl model along the road and it had it as well.

• 3 months later...

We got our brand new Fabia today. It has the thin black line down the middle of the windscreen as well. The Dealer had no idea what it was. He thought it was a fault in the lamination! We then found this post on this forum and realised he was mistaken. We asked him to check - he returned with a revised diagnosis - he said it was an antenna as part of the preparation all the cars now have in case you want to have the Skoda Factory Fit Telephone Preparation Kit added to the car. The brochure says this kit is only available for Fabia SE and above. I wonder if this means that the black line isn't present on Skoda entry models such as the Fabia S ?

Also, the windscreen is supposed to be tinted on the Fabia SE, but it looks rather clear to me - it was the same story years ago with the Fabia Ambiente - couldn't see the tint in that either! Perhaps I need an optician! Can anyone else see the tinting please?

Oh, and by the way, I also have the little flappy rubber bits in the bottom corners of the windscreen which look like they need tucking in - Is this recommended please?

According to my dealer is an additional antenna for the radio as well to reduce signal drop-off when you go through long tunnels and such!

Think the Superb has a much better rear arial than the Fabia, but it has a massive spike in the back of an otherwise quite stylish BMW style "Shark`s fin" assembly.

• 3 months later...

Oh, and by the way, I also have the little flappy rubber bits in the bottom corners of the windscreen which look like they need tucking in - Is this recommended please?

I too noticed this on my Fabia vRS. Can't see why they would need to be stuck out and all they seem to do is create a bit of wind noise.

I've tucked both flappy rubber bits under the rubber strips they previously stuck out from and the wind noise, although only slight beforehand, seems to have gone.

Anyone else done this and are there any potential problems by doing so?

Edited by scottpcs

• 1 year later...

i've just had a reply from Skoda. The line in the front windscreen is an antenna (aerial) for the 'dual tuner' (radio?).

That's that problem sorted!

:nerd:

Thanks for this post as Auto Glass has just arrived to fit a new screen on Fabia 1.6 TDI Elegance, although I had told them about this line when ordering the screen they arrived with did not have it, after 20mins of phone calls by fitter they were still not sure so he pulled back headlining and sure enough there is a connector there, 2nd try in a couple of days Doh. They had 3 screens on my last Honda before they got it right which of course took 4 days!!!!. :(

I recently had my screen changed in my Monte & always wondered what that line was! My new screen hasn't got it, & I know it sounds crazy but I thought my radio signal wasn't good anymore, now I've just read this I know why!!

Greeeeaaat :-s