BEST OIL FOR 1.9TDI ENGINE

Could I humply suggest a search be carried out on the forum for "oil" as in conjunction with many other subjects there has been considerable discussion regarding this.

Oil for 1.9 PD engines is 5W 40 fully syntetic vw spec 505.01 (fixed service)

5W 30 fully synthetic 507.00 (variable service)

And the halfords oils are acutally just rebranded Comma products so they should be fine, although I tend to stick to castrol :thumbup:

Hope this helps :D

Could I humply suggest a search be carried out on the forum for "oil" as in conjunction with many other subjects there has been considerable discussion regarding this.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR ADVICE,I HAVE ,,

Oil for 1.9 PD engines is 5W 40 fully syntetic vw spec 505.01 (fixed service)

5W 30 fully synthetic 507.00 (variable service)

And the halfords oils are acutally just rebranded Comma products so they should be fine, although I tend to stick to castrol :thumbup:

Hope this helps :D

GREAT, THANK YOU,I WAS NOT SURE WITH SO MANY TYPES OUT THEIR,THANKS AGAIN,,,,

Also suggest you learn what the caps lock key is!

For a 1.9 PD, any VW505.1 oil (fixed) VW506.1 oil (variable) or VW507.0

If you have a DPF VW507.0 oil for everything.

The variable oils can be used for fixed servicing also.

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE ,,GETTING TO LEARN ALL ABOUT SKODA CARS ,,THANKS AGAIN,,,,,,,,,

use my 07 1.9tdi as a private hire down in new forest,have done own oil changes,used comma's 5/30 black label on container,designed for vw/audi/skodas.

even doing local journeys,upto 150 miles a day,still gettting 42-45 mpg and 60 on a run.

changed every 10k miles.

so far have put 13000 on car since first wk of feb.

use my 07 1.9tdi as a private hire down in new forest,have done own oil changes,used comma's 5/30 black label on container,designed for vw/audi/skodas.

even doing local journeys,upto 150 miles a day,still gettting 42-45 mpg and 60 on a run.

changed every 10k miles.

so far have put 13000 on car since first wk of feb.

Did your oil have the correct VAG spec(s) printed on the container label ? If it did not it's NOT approved .

Edited by vwcabriolet1971

• 1 month later...

asda do a fully synthetic oil for £18 for 5 litres which is what i am next going to use

I doubt if this is the correct oil for a PD diesel but could be wrong unless ASDA has got it's prices wrong . Does it have VW spec 505.01 or 506.01 ( or 507) on the container label ? . If it doesn't it’s not the correct oil . The Mobil #1 "esp" 5W-30 long life oil spec 507 is £32 for 5 liters at ASDA. Has been this price for some considerable time to my knowledge. You should always buy oil for a PD diesel by spec number not the generic maker’s oil description. Just because it’s a full synthetic oil does not make suitable for a PD Diesel. See below :-

The lowest grade oil you should use on a PD diesel is VW spec 505.01. If the container does not have this spec number on the label its not suitable. This oil (505.01) is commonly called "PD" oil and the only grade I'm aware of is SAE 5W-40. This is the spec with the high shear strength specially developed to deal with the high camshaft loading imposed by the unit injectors. You could also use the long life version 506.01 or the new 507 spec. But why use anything but the later spec oil when they are all about the same price ? On no account use anything other than these 3 grades or you risk excessive camshaft wear. If you check your manual for the car you will find this same information.

Spec 507 is fully downwards compatible with all PD & CR engines and is the oil which VW dealers would use for your PD engine irrespective if has DPF or not or whether it is on Fixed interval or variable service interval. I have this confirmed by my local dealer who I trust and have dealt with for many years.They put the higher spec level in all vehicles as that way they can't make a mistake & it simplifes stocking just one oil instead of 4 or more. As above this 507 spec can be bought for £32 for 5 liters at ASDA & 5 liters will leave enough left for top up purposes after an oil change on most 4 cylinder engines.

505 oil spec is only suitable for pre Aug 1999 Diesels without PD injectors. This was the grade I used in my old early ( march) '99 Golf GTTDI for 145,000 miles.

Edited by vwcabriolet1971