Internal Bike Holder - Observations & Pics

davecarter

Finally got round to trying out the Internal Bike Holder today so here are a few observations along with some photos.

The bike is a Trek Top Fuel 9 Full Suspension Mountain Bike (17.5" Frame).

Firstly, the bike doesn't fit square on, it's too long and the rear wheel will dig into the rear of the seat. The handlebars are quite wide too so, even fitted in diagonally as shown, the front fork holder had to be adjusted to the rear most setting as the handlebar would protrude too far out preventing the tailgate shutting. After these adjustments, the bike fits in quite easily.

The holder comes with a dual clasp / strap affair that can be attached to the suspension struts either side of the rear wheel (the clasps are rubber lined so won't damage the bike) and clipped onto the rear seat locking bars. The straps are then tightened up making the bike quite rigidly fixed in place.

Once in, there's a fair bit of room to store stuff either side of the bike but I reckon I'll need the roof luggage basket for everything when I go away on holiday.

yibh1.jpg

yibh2.jpg

yibh3.jpg

yibh4.jpg

• Like 1

Hello - what's the advantage of this, when you have to use the roof box as well? Is it just that your bike is stuningly expensive, or do you have problems with height clearance the the bike on top? Fuel economy?

(Sorry for being thick!)

nice trek dave :thumbup: ...will have to have a cannock yeti mtb meetup ( once my knee surgery is sorted)...im now on a merlin SS'...singlespeed is the future :yes:

Thanks for some good pics there dave, I;ll see how I get on with roof mounted bike carriers which I already own for my Accord when I transfer them to the new SM. :yes:

OK. To answer a few of the questions here in one post. My particular reasons for the Internal Bike Holder are as follows;

1.) It is a (relatively) expensive bike - £2,600. If I go away anywhere with the bike, the last thing I want is to leave it in plain sight on the top or back of the vehicle. Being inside is far more secure, I am free to leave it in there and with the tinted windows, it's difficult for anyone to see it in the back.

2.) It's far easier to put inside than on the top of the vehicle and you always have the issue of height clearance, drag and the chance of damaging that nice premium sunroof (or the bike) if you mishandle the thing getting it up or down.

3.) I don't have a towbar and don't particularly want one. There may be tailgate carriers become available for the Yeti at some point but then we're back to point 1 - I don't want to leave the bike outside.

4.) When fixed in place, the bike doesn't touch any of the interior so it isn't going to mess things up too much. I'm a fairweather biker and generally try to steer clear of too much mud so the bike won't probably ever get too filthy anyway.

lee; when you're fully recovered from your knee op, we'll definitely have to arrange a meet-up. We can compare Yetis, Bikes and have a blast around Cannock Chase. emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Oh, and almost forgot to mention, the option costs £199.

Edited by davecarter

My Thule cycle carriers are lockable so our bikes can't get stolen unless the thief has an angle grinder, and 15 minutes of nobody calling 999 on a mobile

My Thule cycle carriers are lockable so our bikes can't get stolen unless the thief has an angle grinder, and 15 minutes of nobody calling 999 on a mobile

The problem is, they are still on show and attract attention, especially nice, expensive full suspension mountain bikes. The first bike I bought when at University got stolen, even with a lockable bike chain around it. I knew someone else who had their bike ruined by thieves trying to steal it as it was locked around steel gating. Bikes were being stolen left right and centre even though they were locked up.

I'd rather not give any opportunist thief a whiff of temptation. They might not get away with your bike but they could damage it or your Yeti in the process.

The problem is, they are still on show and attract attention, especially nice, expensive full suspension mountain bikes. The first bike I bought when at University got stolen, even with a lockable bike chain around it. I knew someone else who had their bike ruined by thieves trying to steal it as it was locked around steel gating. Bikes were being stolen left right and centre even though they were locked up.

I'd rather not give any opportunist thief a whiff of temptation. They might not get away with your bike but they could damage it or your Yeti in the process.

Woe betide them, for I don't take prisoners...................10 years working in Kuwait have taught me to disrespect thugs, thieves and louts :rofl:

Not sure what roof-mount Thule carriers you have - but if the expensive "open jaw" ones - theft seems relatively easy !

I have a pair of these..................

http://www.thule.com/en-GB/GB/Products/BikeCarriers/RoofCarriers/530000.aspx and the local 'ferels' know to avoid me :D

Nice bike, emoticon-0148-yes.gif I assume that you didn't have the spare steel wheel option fitted ?

I ordered the internal carrier only to find that it's not compatible with the spare emoticon-0120-doh.gif

Yes, I almost got caught out with that one. Fortunately, the dealer rang me up to say the two options weren't compatible and which would I rather have. The Bike Holder won.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Dave et al

I'm a bit late coming to this thread as I've only just decided that my midriff needs a reduction - so I am about to acquire a bike, a helmet, lycra shorts (no - I tease!) and a heart attack in that order. I found that in Brecon there's a canal, and a nice level cycle track by it. I can drive up and down the nasty hills from home to take the bike to the level track, get it out - cycle, then when finished, out it back and drive home!!!

Question for Dave. Does the internal bike holder also angle the other way? I.E. with the rear tyre behind the passenger seat? And finally was the carrier easy to fit?

Thanks in advance.

George

PS the bike I'm looking at is a hybrid, suitable, I am assured, for a slightly portly, nearly geriatric novice cyclist!

George, please remember to download your Canal Towpath Cycling Permit.

Here's a link for you:

http://www.waterscap.../cycling/permit

And don't fall in, the Brecon & Monmouth Canal is cold!!

Hey, Graham, many thanks for that. Did not know it existed. Is there anything else I ought to do/have (apart from more life insurance)?

And maybe I'll cycle in my wetsuit (unused since they banned water-ski fun at Llangorse Lake).

George,

take your time and don't go near the edge, and give way to pedestrians AND boats!!

We're hoping to have a short holiday on the B & M next year.

icon1.gifGet the boat up the hill and come and have a cuppa!!!!!icon6.gif

Hi Dave et al

I'm a bit late coming to this thread as I've only just decided that my midriff needs a reduction - so I am about to acquire a bike, a helmet, lycra shorts (no - I tease!) and a heart attack in that order. I found that in Brecon there's a canal, and a nice level cycle track by it. I can drive up and down the nasty hills from home to take the bike to the level track, get it out - cycle, then when finished, out it back and drive home!!!

Question for Dave. Does the internal bike holder also angle the other way? I.E. with the rear tyre behind the passenger seat? And finally was the carrier easy to fit?

Thanks in advance.

George

PS the bike I'm looking at is a hybrid, suitable, I am assured, for a slightly portly, nearly geriatric novice cyclist!

Hi George,

Not very well, is the answer to your first question. The front fork fixing is a set angle but if the bike is simply short enough to fit square on it would be no problem. If the travel on the front handlebars allows, you might be able to get the bike in with the rear behind the passenger seat (doubtful though). You do get two bike holders with the option.

Answer to the second question is yes, the carrier is very easy to fit (provided you don't have the spare wheel fitted as it won't fit at all).