2.0TSI tuning stages and outputs

ah hello there Mr hurdy fancy seeingyou here. thank for that link. ill have a read of that....................................

in all seriousness though, can the TSI engine handle 380Ibft of torque. The BWA certainly wouldnt

I guess we will have to wait and see. The TSi engine is definitely an unknown quantity when it boils down to power limitations. My guess is that the GolfR and the SciroccoR wouldn't have the TFSi engine if the TSi engine was a better option for power upgrades ;)

OK here we go:

Exhaust flange is slightly different to the FSI but most aftermarket exhaust manufacturers simply make a flange that fits both. I can confirm Blue Flame does and a few others as well. Ask before you buy. Downpipe is a bitch to change on the TSI as the new heatshield makes it very hard to access one of the bolts..

Fuel system is much higher capacity than FSI, the new TSI can handle a K04 upgrade without changing fueling hardware. Remap figures for the TSI are much higher than the FSI mainly due to this.

AWE Tuning in the US sell a full K04 upgrade kit using OEM parts for $2000, You'll need a custom remap to make it work. 350+ hp.

Intake does make a BIG difference. I could not see the restrictions in the stock system, especially after the MAF, but many people have reported 5-8 hp gains on a stock car, and 10-12 hp on a remapped car.

Turbo outlet pipe supposedly helps. AWE Tuning make one.

Just a note: I am not a representative of AWE Tuning nor have I bought anything from them (yet)

As far as numbers go, supposedly a remap gets you 50 or so hp more, a downpipe and intake should add another 15-20. Other miscellaneous bits like an intercooler, turbo outlet pipe, throttle pipe should help with top end and throttle response.

All in all the TSI is a much better engine than the FSI. I wouldn't go aywhere above 350hp without connecting rods at least.

Edited by haithamali

So out of all the info we've got so far, what are the most sensible tuning steps to take for this engine?

Entry level (~£500):

Main improvements: Power & Torque.

- Stage 1 remap from reputable supplier

- optional: catch can or vent to atmosphere

- optional: top notch tyres

Intermediate level (~£550 + entry level fee):

Main improvements: Torque, some more power

- Custom 2.5-3inch de-cat downpipe £200 locally (or £350 mail order, brand name)

- ITG intake (£250)

- Stage 2 map (£TBC ~£100 upgrade)

Intermediate+ level (~£650 + intermediate + entry):

Main improvements: Holding power for longer, less heat soak issues etc. Some more power

- Intercooler (£500)

- Boost & intercooler pipes (£150)

Advanced level (~£2k):

- k04 conversion

- Stage 3 map

?

So out of all the info we've got so far, what are the most sensible tuning steps to take for this engine?

Entry level (~£500):

Main improvements: Power & Torque.

- Stage 1 remap from reputable supplier

- optional: catch can or vent to atmosphere

- optional: top notch tyres

Intermediate level (~£550 + entry level fee):

Main improvements: Torque, some more power

- Custom 2.5-3inch de-cat downpipe £200 locally (or £350 mail order, brand name)

- ITG intake (£250)

- Stage 2 map (£TBC ~£100 upgrade)

Intermediate+ level (~£650 + intermediate + entry):

Main improvements: Holding power for longer, less heat soak issues etc. Some more power

- Intercooler (£500)

- Boost & intercooler pipes (£150)

Advanced level (~£2k):

- k04 conversion

- Stage 3 map

?

I'd say catch tank is not optional. I had the intake out on my car which has less than 4,000 miles and it had a lot of oil inside..

I'd say catch tank is not optional. I had the intake out on my car which has less than 4,000 miles and it had a lot of oil inside..

I've still not fitted a catch can yet and i'm up to 3.5k miles :thumbdown: keep meaning to do it. First oil change coming up soon, i'll do it then :thumbup:

Dog bone mount, it must be worth doing too but probably not going to make much difference until you're up to intermediate+ on that list above. Having said that it's cheap and there would be some value in it even at stage 1

I've still not fitted a catch can yet and i'm up to 3.5k miles :thumbdown: keep meaning to do it. First oil change coming up soon, i'll do it then :thumbup:

Dog bone mount, it must be worth doing too but probably not going to make much difference until you're up to intermediate+ on that list above. Having said that it's cheap and there would be some value in it even at stage 1

reduce wheel hop and transmission slop though, so worthwhile

No need to buy the full mount kits, just the insert, bolt and washer will do. I installed one on a customer's '08 Leon Cupra last week. and the difference was night and day. I tested with standard map/fuel pump and also stage 2 map and HPFP and the difference was noticeable in both cases.

My car is a DSG and while I don't really feel the slop similar to a manual car I'm installing one for longevity.

• 1 year later...

Yea good read this and planning to start tuning my tsi in the near future so interested in what people recommend :). My plan so far is downpipe with decat and stage 2 (have bsh induction kit to turbo fitted now). Gonna be worth investing in a catch can aswell though and dog bone mount (have eibach arbs and pro springs and also s3 front rear wishbone bushes already). About 280bhp and 310 torque will do me nicely but want power delivery to be as smooth as possible.