De-Wiper the rear

This has never been a Mod that i have looked into.... but recently someone has pointed me to a place that does a blanking gromet which replecated the glass.......

The question is:

How hard is this to do? is it a case of remove the rear wiper, remove the motor/arm and plug gap?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The shape of the Fabia means that the rear window gets completely filthy even in moderate weather. This means the rear wiper is one of the more useful pieces of equipment on the car. You would have to be rather dull to remove this from the car if you intend to drive it on any sort of regualr basis hence the lack of information on the subject.

The shape of the Fabia means that the rear window gets completely filthy even in moderate weather. This means the rear wiper is one of the more useful pieces of equipment on the car. You would have to be rather dull to remove this from the car if you intend to drive it on any sort of regualr basis hence the lack of information on the subject.

Lets just say in this instance i am rather Dull :giggle:

I understand all the reasoning not to

- its a diesel and the rear gets covered in soot

- shape of the car means the rain does not flow off

- these reasons will reduce my rear visability

but still................. how do you do it?

I think your spot on with what you think needs doing. I think the hardest bit will be not to damage clips holding the inside boot trim on so it'll go back ok without rattling.

Regards Chris

Will have a dig through the book of lies tonight..... see what they say about how it is laid out, becasue there is the rear washer jet to 'redirect'

Hold on..........

if i am removing the rear wiper and say the back of the car gets mukky, if i rain-x the rear screen (keeping it topped up) and just reloocate the the rear jet so it still sprays the rear screen (to make some atempt to clear it.....)

kind of hide it in the spoiler or something?

I think the rain x is a good idea but I think the washer jet would take a huge effort for not much reward. I'd block the pipe and unplug the wires going to the motor on the washer bottle.

Lets just say in this instance i am rather Dull :giggle:

I understand all the reasoning not to

- its a diesel and the rear gets covered in soot

- shape of the car means the rain does not flow off

- these reasons will reduce my rear visability

but still................. how do you do it?

Strip it all out and blank the hole. Plug the washer hose and hope you don't accidentally push the stalk the wrong way.

While your looking for more information see if you can find a guide on removing the doors. I hear it's a really popular mod in Mexico.

I did it a few last year when my wiper motor failed and was looking for a new one. I used an old wine bottle cork stopper thing to plug the hole. I put the washer pipe in an old coke bottle and was able to fit it inside the boot lid, (I had the cover off).

2hwhgth.jpg

2enaqn7.jpg

I thought it looked quite good. B):D

Link for grommet = saved

I keep thinking of removing it myself... I've owned about 10 VWs up until now and every one was de-wipered (except the Beetles - they had no wiper :))

In fact, the rear wiper makes the window look dirtier by attracting attention to the surrounding dirt... Sitting there with its nice clean 'rainbow' in the middle... :D

I got a glass gromet from here

http://www.venommotorsport.com/product_details.php?id=1008&manufacturer=Speedtech&category=Bodystyling

looks really clean when done, held in with black glass bonding glue.

Little tip... dont be shy with the glue you want a nice tight seal once complete and once dry the excess glue easily rubs off your glass!!

I got a glass gromet from here

http://www.venommotorsport.com/product_details.php?id=1008&manufacturer=Speedtech&category=Bodystyling

looks really clean when done, held in with black glass bonding glue.

Little tip... dont be shy with the glue you want a nice tight seal once complete and once dry the excess glue easily rubs off your glass!!

Do you get the black silicone glue with the blank or do you buy it separately. If so where do you get it from?

I used 2 coats of aquapel on my rear screen when I de-wipered (Kind of forced into it by broken motor and me not bothering to fix it) and I've never had a problem with rear visibility in heavy rain. Sure it isn't crystal but it is easily sufficient for me to see. Did the same with the wing mirrors which also keep very clean of water due to the "slipperiness" of the glass and I guess wind turbulence around the mirror. Thankfully I don't suffer with soot on the rear due to my unique exhaust :D and as already mentioned, it encourages you to clean the car more often. ;)