Iphone 4 jailbreak released

roo

I don't know if anyone is interested but an iPhone 4 jailbreak was released today. It uses an exploit in safari and is done all by t'interweb. You need to open up safari and point it to http://www.jailbreakme.com and follow the instructions.

http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-iphone-4-3gs-3g-on-ios-4-4.0.1-and-ipad-on-ios-3.2.1-with-jailbreakme/

edit: how to guide with video - http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-ios-4.0.1-on-iphone-4-3gs-new-bootrom-with-jailbreakme-2.0-star-how-to-guide-video/

apparently there are issues with facetime and mms and http://www.redmondpie.com/fix-facetime-and-mms-problem-on-iphone-4-after-jailbreaking-using-jailbreakme-2.0/ shows how to fix it.

Apparenlty an unlock using ultrasn0w is coming out in the next few days too.

Edited by roo

it works on old iphones and the ipad too. There is a list of what it works with on one of the weblinks I posted.

EDIT: copied from the first redmond pie link:

full list of supported devices is as follows

iPod 1G on 3.1.2

iPod 1G on 3.1.3

iPod 2G on 3.1.2

iPod 2G on 3.1.3

iPod 2G on 4.0

iPod 3G on 3.1.2

iPod 3G on 3.1.3

iPod 3G on 4.0

iPad on 3.2

iPad on 3.2.1

iPhone 3G on 3.1.2

iPhone 3G on 3.1.3

iPhone 3G on 4.0

iPhone 3G on 4.0.1

iPhone 3G on 3.1.2

iPhone 3G on 3.1.3

iPhone 3G on 4.0

iPhone 3G on 4.0.1

iPhone 4 on 4.0

iPhone 4 on 4.0.1

Edited by roo

Hmmmm gonna keep an eye on this one.... Never been able to jailbreak my 3GS but will keep watching this and maybe take the plunge some time soon. :thumbup:

Cheers

Dave.

just in the process of jail breaking my 3gs with ios 4.0.1 software as we speak. on your phone enter jailbreakme.com into safari and it comes up with slide to jailbreak.

once cydia is installed onto your home page click user (graphical only) and browse away :thumbup:

sorry if you already know or have done it :giggle:

Edited by sivrs

once cydia has downloaded click on manage then sources, at the top click edit and type in cydia.hackulo.us then add source once done click on hackulous in the souce page. go to installous click it and install.

installous should now be on your home page, click on there and browse away, free tom tom etc :thumbup:

my bro is a bit of a whizz and anymore info he passes on i will put up :thumbup:

Edited by sivrs

Just another case of the apple reality distortion field at work... considering this jailbreak is based on a browser vunrebility... and its a fecking BIG one too... allowing root access!.. mental! - Apple should be hung for it!

once cydia has downloaded click on manage then sources, at the top click edit and type in cydia.hackulo.us then add source once done click on hackulous in the souce page. go to installous click it and install.

installous should now be on your home page, click on there and browse away, free tom tom etc :thumbup:

my bro is a bit of a whizz and anymore info he passes on i will put up :thumbup:

You Sir, are a star! Jailbroke mine a few days ago with Cydia - but all I could find were loads of apps all priced in dollars looking for payments via Paypal.

If you know of any more sources for good free stuff then keep posting!

if there was a 'Thanks' button I'd be clicking it!!

You Sir, are a star! Jailbroke mine a few days ago with Cydia - but all I could find were loads of apps all priced in dollars looking for payments via Paypal.

If you know of any more sources for good free stuff then keep posting!

if there was a 'Thanks' button I'd be clicking it!!

i cant take all the credit my bro is very into tech stuff and it was him that talked me through it :giggle:

but i'm glad it was of service and enjoy. i have been doing since i did it yesterday :thumbup:

ringtones, msg tones, themes, free sat nav with a dif app for all the countries makes the iphone what it should be IMO B)

Is it confirmed that it can be put back to normal via iTunes?? I'm assuming it would be a case of performing a restore as I've still got a few months left on my 12 month warranty yet so would want to be able to revert to normal if possible.

Also as it's based on a security flaw in the browser could it be that Apple close the flaw??

Cheers

Dave.

Edited by WaveyDavey

Is it confirmed that it can be put back to normal via iTunes?? I'm assuming it would be a case of performing a restore as I've still got a few months left on my 12 month warranty yet so would want to be able to revert to normal if possible.

Also as it's based on a security flaw in the browser could it be that Apple close the flaw??

Cheers

Dave.

thats what my bro said yesterday as itunes performs a back up when you update the software you just do a restore and it's back to normal :thumbup:

a handy couple of apps once jailbroke, use cydia to download them!

biteme sms allows you to recieve and text without having to close what your doing.

killsigncarbonblue allows you to use music as ringtones and different msg tones, also change your background themes. will show on home screen as winterboard.

HTH

Edited by sivrs

Ok i just jailbroke my 3GS with new bootrom.

I have a question....... i did a back-up before hand just in case.... Am i right in thinking that iTunes just overwrites the back-up each time you connect your phone?? If so when it says the jailbreak is reversible via a restore does that mean i can't let iTunes do a back-up of my phone again????

Or does iTunes keep all the back-ups that it does..... i.e. if i connect everyday for a week will i have 7 different back-ups to pick from???

I tend to connect the phone and do a back-up at least once a month in case the phone ever gets nicked or damaged etc..... and i didn't want to overwrite this back-up i just did where i can remove the jailbreak etc.....

Cheers

Dave.

Edited by WaveyDavey

I think i might have got the wrong end of the stick regarding the back-ups...... Is it right that tyhe back-up is just things like your SMS's, contacts etc.... and not anything to do with the jailbreak?

Cheers

Dave.

It won't back up the jailbreak as that is written to a different part of the memory. It'll back up contacts, email accounts, apps, pictures, notes, etc...

When you do a restore, you wipe the bootrom (where the jailbreak happens) and put it back to the standard apple one.

I did it on my 3gs so I could upgrade to ios4 and lost no data at all, just the jailbreak.

iOS4.0.2 has been released and stops the ability to jailbreak via this method. So if you wanna keep the jailbreak keep with 4.0.1..... Looks like the 4.0.2 update only fixes the pdf vulnerability that this jailbreak uses.

Cheers

Dave.

Also if you're Jailbroken on 4.0.1 check Cydia for Saurik's patch fixing the PDF vulnerability, before we get a nice collection of trojans coming in through it.

• 2 weeks later...

easy way to jailbreak is via a website called jailbreakme.com. Just perform a backup in iTunes prior to it and your sorted. It takes a couple of minutes can do it over 3G but best over WIFI. It installs cydia and away you go.

JailBreakMe.com this is the FAQ to answer all your questions :-) if you do it from an apple device it just says slide to Jailbreak. Ive done it to my iphone4 and ipad.

For FREE applications and games i'd add in a source called http://cydia.hackulous.us

Its great for most appliations and games and did i mention its FREE!

Ryan