Hill Hold on DSG 7speed auto SuperbTSI 1.8 petrol

cavalier

Having ordered a Superb 1.8 petrol TSI delivered in May 2010 I chose Hill Hold as one of my factory extras.

It was pointed out to me by the Skoda Salesman that I didn't need to pay for the extra because it was a standard fitting on the 1.8 TSI so I was very pleased.

I have tried for over one month to make the hill hold function in various situations I came to the conclusion that my car did have Hill Start Assist but did not have Hill Hold

Iam currently struggling to get my Main Dealer to accept this problem and have now stated to discuss with Skoda Customer Care,

Any ideas on how best to proceed?? has anyone else got this problem//

What should the difference be between Hill Start Assist and Hill Hold Control.

Hill Start Assist is described in the Superb Handbook as the ability to hold the car for two seconds on a hill to give time to move the foot from the brake to the accelerator and on the third second actually drives the car forward slowly. This is an excellent facility but it is not Hill Hold.

Hill Hold is not Described in the Superb handbook but previous automatics owned by me allow the driver to remove both feet from the two pedals and the car really holds itself stationary on any incline until the accelerator is depressed. This is a very useful facility.

Hill Start Assist is described in the Superb Handbook as the ability to hold the car for two seconds on a hill to give time to move the foot from the brake to the accelerator and on the third second actually drives the car forward slowly. This is an excellent facility but it is not Hill Hold.

Hill Hold is not Described in the Superb handbook but previous automatics owned by me allow the driver to remove both feet from the two pedals and the car really holds itself stationary on any incline until the accelerator is depressed. This is a very useful facility.

What you describe as hill assist is what Skoda term hill hold control.

Since the DSG gearbox is not a conventional automatic, removing your foot from the brake will result in the car rolling backwards since it has no torque converter. The 7 speed dsg box uses 2 dry manual clutches which are not brought totally together until you press the accelerator pedal, to do otherwise would lead to the clutches dying very quickly. Think of the DSG box as a computer controlled manual gearbox.

:rofl: I took delivery of a 3.6 V6 Superb Estate on the 25th May. It was supposed to have had HHC on it as standard. It didn't! Trading Standards took up my case and I was given a goodwill gesture by Skoda UK for which I asked along with a warning triangle( also supposedly standard! ) and a proper owners' manual for the Estate.

You do have the HHC on your vehicle and it seems to be working perfectly! :thumbup: I think somehow you've misunderstood the function.

:rofl: I took delivery of a 3.6 V6 Superb Estate on the 25th May. It was supposed to have had HHC on it as standard. It didn't! Trading Standards took up my case and I was given a goodwill gesture by Skoda UK for which I asked along with a warning triangle( also supposedly standard! ) and a proper owners' manual for the Estate.

You do have the HHC on your vehicle and it seems to be working perfectly! :thumbup: I think somehow you've misunderstood the function.

Thanks for coming back........I have had an automatic for the past fifteen years and hill hold means what it says i.e it holds the car on a hill without human intervention for as long as you want. The hill start asist which I do have simply holds the car for two seconds and then drives forward into the car in front when queueing on a hill !! Furthemore a dab on the brake causes you to roll back onto the car behind!! It's lethal and certainly not hill HOLD but it is very useful when you want to pull away whilst on an incline ( which is why it's called hil start assist and not hill hold)

By the way my Superb owners' manual is pretty poor in terms of translation and litres per kilometre etc not mpg. What have you managed to obtain?

................. and then drives forward into the car in front when queueing on a hill ( which is why it's called hil start assist and not hill hold)

The vehicle shouldn't move forward unless you make it move forward ie, accelerate.......

In the brochure it is actually called Hill hold control. Are you getting it mixed up with " Uphill start assist " which is on the Yeti and can be enabled with the Off-road button?

As regards miles per gallon the MFD is showing 20.4 since the beginning of June but I've been doing a lot of very short trips! Yours should be a lot better than mine! :thumbup:

2 points

1. You do not have an automatic car, as has been stated previously, you have a DSG, so don't expect it to do what your old automatic car did. That didn't have hil hold either, just a torque converter.

2. Use the HSA as it is designed to be used, for very short stops. If you're stopping on a hill for longer, treat your car as a manual, apply the hand brake and select neutral. Then use the HSA when you're ready to set off again.

The vehicle shouldn't move forward unless you make it move forward ie, accelerate.......

In the brochure it is actually called Hill hold control. Are you getting it mixed up with " Uphill start assist " which is on the Yeti and can be enabled with the Off-road button?

As regards miles per gallon the MFD is showing 20.4 since the beginning of June but I've been doing a lot of very short trips! Yours should be a lot better than mine! :thumbup:

There is a lot of confusion around this subject due to different terms for these systems being used in the various bits of Skoda literature.

This can be compounded be the system manufacturers own terminology for example My link

Mention was made of the Yeti;

in the UK sales brochure the term uphill start assist is used in describing a function of the off-road button but in the owners hand book this function is described as start-off assist (change in accelerator operation plus a max 2500RPM restriction to protect the clutch).

Whereas uphill start assist in the owner handbook describes the function of holding on of the brakes for 2 seconds, which is otherwise known as Hill Hold Control (HHC) within Skoda.

Therefore it's no wonder owners and potential owners get confused.

VW have a function on the Tiguan termed Auto hold which is activated via a button directly behind the electronic park brake lever, this function does keep the brakes on after coming to a halt with the application of the foot brake and does not release until you accelerate away.

TP

Edited by The Plumber

......... That didn't have hil hold either, just a torque converter.

Actually, if he had one of the larger Mercs he would have had a Hold function as they don't have a handbrake, only a foot operated parking brake! The hold function is enabled by pressing down quickly on the brake once coming to a stop. It will hold the brake on electronically until you either press the throttle or the brake again.

Hopefully, the OP won't be even more confused now!

There is a lot of confusion around this subject due to different terms for these systems being used in the various bits of Skoda literature.

This can be compounded be the system manufacturers own terminology for example My link

Mention was made of the Yeti;

in the UK sales brochure the term uphill start assist is used in describing a function of the off-road button but in the owners hand book this function is described as start-off assist (change in accelerator operation plus a max 2500RPM restriction to protect the clutch).

Whereas uphill start assist in the owner handbook describes the function of holding on of the brakes for 2 seconds, which is otherwise known as Hill Hold Control (HHC) within Skoda.

Therefore it's no wonder owners and potential owners get confused.

VW have a function on the Tiguan termed Auto hold which is activated via a button directly behind the electronic park brake lever, this function does keep the brakes on after coming to a halt with the application of the foot brake and does not release until you accelerate away.

TP

Thank you for this useful response.

By the way Volvo automatics have a perfect Hill Hold system giving total control in Drive on an incline without any human intervention

It seems Skoda have a problem with their descriptions both in the sales literature and in the drivers' manuals

Why do Skoda market a product named as Hill Hold in the sales literature without any description of its functionality?

Why do Skoda show a product named as Uphill Start Assist in the Drivers' Manual which makes no reference to Hill Hold in the explanation?

Quoted directly from the inside back page of a Yeti brochure.

HHC: Hill hold control allows for a safe hill start by holding the brake for a small amount of time, reducing the risk of unintentional reversing or roll back.

It would be useful if this info was in the Superb and Octavia brochure too, but your dealer should know this anyway.

Quoted directly from the inside back page of a Yeti brochure.

HHC: Hill hold control allows for a safe hill start by holding the brake for a small amount of time, reducing the risk of unintentional reversing or roll back.

It would be useful if this info was in the Superb and Octavia brochure too, but your dealer should know this anyway.

Agreed!

This is very interesting......so Skoda do define the functionality of hillhold on the Yeti........why is it different on the Superb?i