Intercooler fitted

Well after 2 days of p***ng about tryin to get my ebay special fitted, its finally on. However, i've noticed the car only boosts to 1 bar now not 1.5 :no: and theres also a strange sound like air escaping but i've made sure that all the joints are as tight as they can be. I took the car out yesterday and heard an almighty pop as one of the pipes came off from the turbo, it was quite scary, it was like the car was running on 3 cylinders, spluttering on. I could only do 10mph. So tightened that up and went again. Another pop. different pipe. I was getting quite scared because if this were to happen when your overtaking it would quite easily cause a crash :S. im very weary of it, so tomorrow i will be raking it everywhere to make sure the joints are good.

01082010050.jpg

01082010049.jpg

01082010048.jpg

01082010047.jpg

01082010046.jpg

02082010051.jpg

Them clamps dont look like the right size to me....they look too small ???

When they are tightened down you only want a small gap between the two ends of the clamps otherwise they will leak under pressure.

These clamps are great......and are used lots on the HGV's I work on, but you would be better off with a std screw type hose clamp than one of these clamps thats the wrong size.

Also, if it were mine I'd be fitting support brackets for the pipes.

Bill.

Them clamps dont look like the right size to me....they look too small ???

When they are tightened down you only want a small gap between the two ends of the clamps otherwise they will leak under pressure.

These clamps are great......and are used lots on the HGV's I work on, but you would be better off with a std screw type hose clamp than one of these clamps thats the wrong size.

Also, if it were mine I'd be fitting support brackets for the pipes.

Bill.

non of the clamps were done up in these pics, this was when i was trial fitting it, sorry should have mentioned that. they tighten up fine and they've got loads of thread on them. I think there T clamps???

This is the kit i baught.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/98-04-FMIC-SKODA-OCTAVIA-1-8T-INTERCOOLER-KIT-/350374116186?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5193ecbb5a

Guest westallc

now do some temp logs and im sure you might be dissapointed in comparisson to a standard oem sidemount :wonder:

i seen one of these kits on golf at r-tech and i was not impressed they must suffer really bad with heat soak, different size pipein ,joints dnt fit properly , sorry bud nothin against you but not my cuppa of tea .................. if i was you looking at your pics the pipe to the right looked about spot on before you attached it to the crash bar maybe lower it down a tad get better air flow too

:o Omg apart from the missing engine cover that's exactly the same as my engine bay!!! Got the same intercooler and your cai with the darker blue hosing!!

Got no problems with my intercooler seems to work fine and makes the front end look better lol

While you've got the front end apart check the alternator wiring to the fuse box, can't wait to fix it and get back on the road!!

Edited by Raf_75

If you are having problems with pipes popping off try some hairspray onto the metal before connecting and tightening as it will help to stop any slip, also make sure the inside of the hoses are completely clean and dry, it only needs a small amount of oil to reduce the friction allowing them to slip. I had a problem with an alloy joiner that I had to cut down (bought one that was too long) when I got rid of the stupid join on the turbo to pancake pipe. I sort of flared the end and used a bit of hairspray and it hasn't popped off since (peak boost at about 20psi) HTH. :D

That I/C looks tiny.......!!! The physical surface area can't be any more than the standard side mount I/C...... I appreciated cosmetically it looks far better than OEM, but in practical terms I doubt it actually is!

Would however be interesting to see the data/results on this particular cooler.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Steevie Wonder

Guest westallc

you say its bigger but look how many cooling veins it has compared tot he standard item!!!!!

and then you got to think has it been flow tested to ensure that its allowing it to cool enough before it gets through

rob go do some logging on temp

• 7 months later...

Hi

bringing up an old thread here but im in the process of fitting a fmic which although is not the same make as yours is very similar.

theres 2 hoses running from the old intercooler pipe, 1 goes to the dv and the other to the n75. my new pipe only has the fitment for the dv and looking at the kit you have fitted on the toyosport website yours only has fitment for the same hose to the dv

if this is the case what did you do with the n75 pipe?

The pipe has both the DV and N75 valve on it, you just cant see it in those pictures. you could get a weld on n75 connector made up if you know a place that can weld aluminium.