Additional Yeti LED DRLs

To my eyes the Yeti looks a bit naked in the chin department since there are no fog lights there. But going off road I think it is perhaps best there is nothing there. But having seen those silver bits you can retro-fit over the two outer lower grilles, I've always though that is exactly the place to fit some LED DRL strips.

And low and behold a Frenchman has done just that:

00112.jpg

00210.jpg

00513.jpg

00412.jpg

I think it looks great!

• Like 1

Yes I kinda like them myself. Wonder how he got them fitted ?? I have no idea what the DRL regs might be if introduced, ie about visibility, height etc so maybe some of our esteemed knowledgeable folks on here could say whther they would count as a legal DRL or not ??

Must admit they do look nice fitted into that bare slot on the bumper tho

:yes:

Had similar thoughts I must admit and the location seems to be the only and obvious choice. However, the Yeti already has DRLs (although non LED) within the foglight housing. I don't think it will be long though before some accessories/tuning company comes out with a kit to do this.

Skoda do equip their Superb with LED DRLs so maybe they will find their way onto the Yeti soon.

I really like the Yeti DRL's, and dislike the various eyebrow AUDI LED's. I am looking forward to the day when someone makes an LED replacement for the 21W - or whatever they are called - DRL bulbs, as they could do with a little more light.

A combination of the straight - Porsche style - LED bar in the fake front vents and the regular LED's don't look 'arf bad B)

Adds visibility without spoiling the very recognizeable Yeti look.

Edited by Agerbundsen

Yes I kinda like them myself. Wonder how he got them fitted ?? I have no idea what the DRL regs might be if introduced, ie about visibility, height etc so maybe some of our esteemed knowledgeable folks on here could say whther they would count as a legal DRL or not ??

Must admit they do look nice fitted into that bare slot on the bumper tho

emoticon-0144-nod.gif

Lots of cars have them there - look at any new Mercedes E-class: they have them as either round ones on lower models or hocky stick ones on higher models in the lower bumper. And Audis on the other hand have them higher up in the headlights themselves. So as to height they vary from low to headlight height and these on the Yeti are somewhere inbetween since the Yeti sits higher of the ground. So they should be totally legal.

And look at these images to see some of the kits you get these days to do just this conversion.

I was thinking Bling Bling Christmas Tree when reading the thread title.

But they actually look quite good and something that Skoda could even do themselves on a Yeti mark 2.

They do look good because they are subtle and not too "in your face" like Audi's "chip shop window" look are, and are far sexier I think

emoticon-0148-yes.gif

AND there is already a horizontal feature line just there on the standard car. So you won't be adding new lines and bling to the car in doing it. I wonder if he disconnected the standard upper ones (if indeed his spec had any)? I'd do that. Disconnect them and just have these as the DRLs and then the round fog lamps are just that: fog lamps.

Not being a car mechanic minded person myself, how would they be wired into the cars existing system which I understand has the existing ones switched on via the maxidot display, so would these be turned on from the same source ??

Apologies if the remarks seem dumb but I know nowt about how cars work lol !!

:rofl:

Ah I found this one the web:

diagram.jpg

Not sure that is the legal viewpoint on these things or just the suggested placement.

Not being a car mechanic minded person myself, how would they be wired into the cars existing system which I understand has the existing ones switched on via the maxidot display, so would these be turned on from the same source ??

Apologies if the remarks seem dumb but I know nowt about how cars work lol !!

emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Click on this link: http://www.carbulbsdirect.com/product_detail.asp?prod=162 and then on "Download our installation guide for more details on installing your Daylight Running Lamps. " This should explain to you how these are fitted to the car.

Johaan,

that is the same diagram I basically got from another site, so it suggests they are the correct dimensions.

Pauly,

easiest way would be to put a junction in the fitted wiring.

Lo and behold in my shed I have a set of very suitable stick on LED DRL's just like those........................... B)

Lo and behold in my shed I have a set of very suitable stick on LED DRL's just like those........................... emoticon-0103-cool.gif

And there I was thinking Davecarter was going to be the first to fit some DRLs!

Ah I found this one the web:

diagram.jpg

Not sure that is the legal viewpoint on these things or just the suggested placement.

It looks to me like the EU regulation for the positionong of DRL's.

And there I was thinking Davecarter was going to be the first to fit some DRLs!

lol... If I do get any fitted, it certainly won't be the chav and tacky LED strips available at any local Halfords store. They'll be the proper jobbies!

(Just waiting for them to become available emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif )

lol... If I do get any fitted, it certainly won't be the chav and tacky LED strips available at any local Halfords store. They'll be the proper jobbies!

(Just waiting for them to become available emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif )

Same here. Though I do like those Phillips ones I posted earlier. Phillips is a good make in my view - relative to all the £9,99 LED strips you see on eBay anyway. What make would you go for then Dave? Hella?

Same here. Though I do like those Phillips ones I posted earlier. Phillips is a good make in my view - relative to all the £9,99 LED strips you see on eBay anyway. What make would you go for then Dave? Hella?

Ring Automotive do some nice LED products. Check their site out... http://www.ringautom...cat2=8&cat3=207 but I think Hella would be the best bet as the curved housing would probably fit better.

Edited by davecarter

Ring Automotive do some nice LED products. Check their site out... http://www.ringautom...cat2=8&cat3=207

If you check the Ring ones' prices out you see they are very cheap. Up to only about £55/pair. So I'd still wager the Phillips or Hella ones are much better.

If I'd ever do this the light also has to be slim and nearly as long as the horizontal feature of this grille. AND I don't want the lights to look yellow when they are not on. In a lot of these you can see the yellow LEDs when the lights are off. You don't see that on an OE DRL.

Edit: Fatfinger

Edited by 900000

Ring Automotive do some nice LED products. Check their site out... http://www.ringautom...cat2=8&cat3=207 but I think Hella would be the best bet as the curved housing would probably fit better.

We now expect you to go for it, Dave - and do a nice little write up on how you did it. Then several I can think of will follow.

Come to think of it, why not add a couple of Xenon spotlights while you are at it? B)

We now expect you to go for it, Dave - and do a nice little write up on how you did it. Then several I can think of will follow.

Come to think of it, why not add a couple of Xenon spotlights while you are at it? emoticon-0103-cool.gif

Oh! So I'm the guinea pig now am I? lol emoticon-0124-worried.gif What I did do with the Audi TT is replace the DRL bulbs (only the standard ones) with high intensity white light ones from Powerbulbs. It was a straight swap with no other adjustment and they were far better. I'm hoping a similar bulb will come out for the Yeti soon.

I'm toying with the idea of getting a Stage I remap done next year so I just might get think about the Hella DRL LEDs at the same time.

Oh! So I'm the guinea pig now am I? lol emoticon-0124-worried.gif What I did do with the Audi TT is replace the DRL bulbs (only the standard ones) with high intensity white light ones from Powerbulbs. It was a straight swap with no other adjustment and they were far better. I'm hoping a similar bulb will come out for the Yeti soon.

I'm toying with the idea of getting a Stage I remap done next year so I just might get think about the Hella DRL LEDs at the same time.

Guineapig, no way! Think more i terms of Pioneer, Explorer (no reference to Ford) Trendsetter or Avant Garde Bling Guru. :giggle:

You lead and the great unwashed masses will follow.

Guineapig, no way! Think more i terms of Pioneer, Explorer (no reference to Ford) Trendsetter or Avant Garde Bling Guru. emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

You lead and the great unwashed masses will follow.

Indeed!

One advantage of an older car with a thriving owner's club is that there are tons of handy guides on how to do anything on your car. I fitted a different aero wiper, rear cupholders, a spare wheel mount and all sorts of OE Audi bits to the A2 using some handy guides other members made.

So for the Yeti I'm waiting for:

The guide to show how to get power fold mirrors

The guide to show how to install MDI

The guide to show how to install DRLs

The guide to show how to fit the dog guard's brackets yourself

The guide to show how to fit the twin sunvisors

And I'm sure many other things will follow.