Additional Yeti LED DRLs

Indeed!

One advantage of an older car with a thriving owner's club is that there are tons of handy guides on how to do anything on your car. I fitted a different aero wiper, rear cupholders, a spare wheel mount and all sorts of OE Audi bits to the A2 using some handy guides other members made.

So for the Yeti I'm waiting for:

The guide to show how to get power fold mirrors

The guide to show how to install MDI

The guide to show how to install DRLs

The guide to show how to fit the dog guard's brackets yourself

The guide to show how to fit the twin sunvisors

And I'm sure many other things will follow.

We need a Haynes Manual ;)

We need a Haynes Manual ;)

A manual certainly would be handy, though Haynes' policy used to be not to start preparing one until a car has been in production for a minimum of 3 years. It also depended on the number of cars sold, so I suspect it may take even longer before a Yeti manual appears. :'(

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have just replaced the standard filiment bulbs with LED,s for the DRL,s

I purchased from http://www.benzinfabrik.de/de/led-tagfahrlicht/tfl-lampen/4w-imax-cob-led-spot-p13w-tagfahrlicht-lampe-weiss/

Like previous experiances in doing this I agree it is not a two minute job. The first one took well over an hour just to remove the standard and fit the LED.

This really anoyed me and I was at the point of abandoning the project. The main problem is getting your hand inside the housing and then being able to apply enough preasure to turn and release or fit the lamp.

I then decided to make a tool to ease the process. I cut a 4" length od wood and the shaped one end to the profile of the P13W lamp socket. With this wedged in place I fitted the second bulb in 5 minutes with no effort.

Fitting the resistors was quite easy and the end result is no lamp error light. The LED#s are really bright and pure xenon white so quite happy

The LED part no. is 74131 and the resitor pack 10390

Without the improvised tool fitting is a nightmare.

Hi there

The said tool is quite simple to make. a piece od wood 1.5 X 2.5 cm and about 10cm long.

I then used a sharp pen knife to shape one end so that it was a tight fit when pushed into the LED bulb.

With the LED now on the end of this stick it is quite easy to locate the three tabs using a small mirror.

When located apply a bit of preasure and the rotate it anti clock to lock in place.

All I can add is that without the tool the first LED took over an hour of messing about and swearing untill I finally made it.

With the tool I located and fitted the second one at the first go.

Let me know if you need more.

Let me know if you need more.

As they say a picture counts for a 1000 words.... So I suggest a photo please. Thanks.

Lights? DLRs? DRLs? LDRs? RDSs?

Eh?

Does it matter - especially when the SUN is shining......

[out in the Beemer, posing, pulling, preening - so no time for blinged-up-Yeti-tarts!!]

I'm sure if you sent the dimensions to Johann he'd do a nice 3D computer CADCAM sketch. :giggle:

Hehehe... Alas my CAD software does things in brick sizes. So if a human hand won't fit a brick won't help with the DRLs either!