Bulb Failure warning light

For some time now the bulb failure light has been coming on and off. If i switch the engine off and remove the key it will sometimes reset the warning light but sometimes it wont.

Its been to the dealer for a software update, that worked for a while. I've checked the bulbs ive replaced and there all secure so no loose connections. Went back to the they said its not showing a fault on their machine.

Anyone any ideas? :S

For some time now the bulb failure light has been coming on and off. If i switch the engine off and remove the key it will sometimes reset the warning light but sometimes it wont.

Its been to the dealer for a software update, that worked for a while. I've checked the bulbs ive replaced and there all secure so no loose connections. Went back to the they said its not showing a fault on their machine.

Sorry, I don't know - but it would be ironic if the bulb of the bulb failure warning light is faulty...

• Like 1

It may not be relevant, but some years ago, before bulb failure lights, I had a headlight that worked intermittently. I checked the bulb and it seemed ok. As I didn't have a spare bulb readily available to swop over, I checked the circuit which also seemed ok. I eventually changed the bulb which solved the problem.

When I more closely examined the old bulb, I could see that the filament was blackened at one end. It was explained to me by someone who knew about these things that what had happened was that one end of the filament had become detached and then with vibration it would move around until it hit the terminal and re-welded itself there. This weld lasted for a time before the contact broke and the process started again. Such an intermittant contact could be the cause of your problems, but as the warning circuits do not necessarily identify individual bulbs, you may have some difficulty find out if it is the problem.

Have the same problem with my front left DRL at the moment, the light keeps going out and then i get a bulb failure warning, its very intermittent, and the car is less than one month old! :(

• 3 weeks later...

My bulb failure warning told me the right hand rear fog light had failed but in fact it was the left hand one. Guess it can't tell its left from its right! Or maybe it thinks its a left hand drive car?

I've read about a very similar problem on here before - maybe its a common problem - the car not knowing left from right?

Or maybe it thinks its a left hand drive car?

It may well do, but left is left and right is right.

It could confuse if it said "Nearside" and "Offside," as these would differ from the UK in Europe, but right and left are as seen when seated, facing forward.

Ray

Took the car back to Henrys was in for a few hours they told me they checked all the bulbs in the car and they found 2 faulty bulbs, they were both fluctuating in wattage so they replaced them both and charged me £14

On Sunday the bulb warning light came on again checked all the bulbs all were found to be working.

Today i called Skoda UK and said to them Henrys replaced 2 bulbs and charged me £14 but the light is still coming on and asked the girl should this not be under warranty? She didnt know and told me to contact my dealer again.

it sounds like a software problem more than anything, either a bulb works or it doesn't.

Sounds like a warranty repair to me. If the bulbs are working, then there's something inherently wrong for the warning light to still be coming on.

I use Henrys too (have done for years) and have found them to be very reliable and sensible. I hope you get it sorted soon.

Edited by JB.

I had the same problem. Intermittent bulb failure warning.

Apparently the ECU records the resistance of the bulb...... to predict impending failures of bulbs.

That's what my local agent tells me in Singapore.

A quick change of the troublesome bulb resolved my problem.

I used to use DRL's, which on the 'S' is the headlights. This resulted in plenty of bulb failures over the past 1.5 years (estimated 4 bulbs replaced), so that I no longer use the DRL's, but instead use the sidelights. Since adopting use of the sidelights I have not experienced another bulb failure.

I used to use DRL's, which on the 'S' is the headlights. This resulted in plenty of bulb failures over the past 1.5 years (estimated 4 bulbs replaced), so that I no longer use the DRL's, but instead use the sidelights. Since adopting use of the sidelights I have not experienced another bulb failure.

When you used the DRL`s did the front and rear lights come on or only the front?

When you used the DRL`s did the front and rear lights come on or only the front?

You can choose in Maxidot.

1) Front dipped headlights only

2) Front dipped headlights, tail lights and number plate lights

The front and rear lights came on at the same time. I was unaware you could just select the front lights.

• 4 years later...

Did this ever get resolved?

I'm getting this on my Superb almost every other day, sometimes several times a day.  Sometimes it points to front left headlight, some time left brake light.

I did check brake light and it was off, gave it a flick and it came back on.

It had been to Skoda Letchworth but looks like I'll have to take it back.

If the brake light was indeed off and hitting the cluster made it come back on then it seems the blown-bulb warning system is doing it's job.

I'd be looking to replace the brake light and a pair of dipped headlight bulbs.

See post #3.

Gonna add myself to this list

Having the same issue with a DRL bulb, shows warning that bulb has blown so I check and its fine?

Happened a few times and I am not convinced changing the bulb resolves it?

Got a service at Letchworth soon so will get them to check it out

Thanks 

• 3 months later...