Standard Fabia VRS...

Hi,

I am going to be purchasing a Fabia VRS within the next month as I need to get Diesel Car due to now having to commute 50 miles per day.

Just a few questions,

I wont be modifying the car at all, just completely standard. What sort of MPG return should I see from the car? I'll be doing mostly A & B road driving with a couple of miles town driving.

Are there any common faults with the car, anything I should be aware of?

Finally, what is servicing like? How often does the car need servicing and what is the average cost?

Thanks,

Grant

Common problems I had with my Fabia vRS were leaky rear door seals, fuses blown on the wipers in the winter (make sure to keep the screenwash topped up) apart from that it was a fantastic car, I was getting about 42MPG in town and on longer runs about 55-57mpg.

i've averaged around 60mpg over 3000 miles of owning one.

In your dreams. That might be what the trip computer says, but it bears no resemblance to reality. I've only ever once got over 60mpg (calculated rather than from the trip computer) and that involved driving motorways at 60mph all the way. The earlier, higher geared cars may be marginally better. 50mpg would be a more likely figure to expect, although even that depends on your driving style.

In your dreams. That might be what the trip computer says, but it bears no resemblance to reality. I've only ever once got over 60mpg (calculated rather than from the trip computer) and that involved driving motorways at 60mph all the way. The earlier, higher geared cars may be marginally better. 50mpg would be a more likely figure to expect, although even that depends on your driving style.

Do you know how i drive?

Do you know what sort of driving i do?

NO! So you can't comment on it then.

Skoda's official fuel consumption figures for the EU4 engine are:

Urban - 6.9ltr/100km (40.94mpg)

Non-urban - 4.4ltr/100km (64.20mpg)

Combined - 5.3ltr/100km (53.30mpg)

I keep a detailed log of fuel bought and mileage. Over the past 23253 miles my 2007 Fabia vRS has averaged 46.47mpg. The car is driven gently most of the time and average journeys are 25+ miles including dual carriageway and motorway. I have found that I need to reduce the indicated trip fuel consumption figure by 25% to arrive at a realistic figure in line with my fuel log.

Guest BigJase88

mines is the best i've ever had this week at 38mpg combined!!

LOL

not so good, i'd bet the newer common rail diesels do miles more mpg....

on a run taking it easy on a mix of roads im talking 45mpg or there abouts :thumbup:

Edited by BigJase88

i've averaged around 60mpg over 3000 miles of owning one.

Is that a calculated figure? I've averaged just over 50mpg with the previous car over 64,500 miles

servicing is every 10,000/1 year at £89 and £117

Those figures are very low - my yearly services have been between about £180 and £240 at Skoda dealers

Unless you continually drive by free-falling down a cliff you will not have a real 60mpg. end of.

Ha Ha, I agree. Unless you drove like a total poof, there is no way you can 'average' 60 mpg.

I have had my car for over 6 months now

Fuel up £30 a week I get in return on average 250 Miles with the fuel prices at £1.14 a litre from my local shell station

Im getting approx 48-50MPG -Thats driving sensibly and allowing the car to warm up keeping the car serviced every 6 months & thats mainly motorway miles

On a recent trip from Manchester to London I did manage to get 55 MPG +

The trip computer the highest I have seen is 65MPG I too would say its way out

In reality the Fabia returns 50-55MPG on a steady run & if you thrash it about 40-50MPG

Its still good compared to most cars cant complain

Remapped cars usualy see a gain of MPG from listening to owners having who have them mapped

I was hoping for better, my mildly modified VR6 will do 37 mpg on a motorway run but that's sticking to the speed limit. It's got a schrick though so I rarely drive it out of it's torque band. 209bhp + 210lbft

Not so good in the urban figures though. :no:

Run a 2005 Fabia VRS, does about 10 miles per litre or 45 MPG overall, that's running brimful to brimful, noting mileage. emoticon-0148-yes.gif

On board computer makes me laugh, if depressed will switch it on and see all the wonderful fuel usage figures, about as reliable as a chocolate fire-guard.emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Edited by giandougl

I have had my '07 VRS for 10 months and have covered over 16000 miles in that time. My daily commute is 100 miles (50 each way), mostly motorway. I check my fuel economy each week, having driven between 400 and 500 miles. My weekly fuel economy at the moment is coming in at 60 mpg. The best I've had over a week of commuting is 63mpg. These figures are calculated and accurate. By the way, at the end of each one-way commute, my trip computer reads anywhere between 75 and 85 mpg (if only this was accurate !).

So, 60 mpg is entirely plausible.

out of gear goin downhill?

Please note it's more economical going down hill IN gear. If you go out of gear the engine demands fuel to keep it ticking over, if you stay in gear the engine is turned by the wheels and the fuel supply cuts off...

I have had my '07 VRS for 10 months and have covered over 16000 miles in that time. My daily commute is 100 miles (50 each way), mostly motorway. I check my fuel economy each week, having driven between 400 and 500 miles. My weekly fuel economy at the moment is coming in at 60 mpg. The best I've had over a week of commuting is 63mpg. These figures are calculated and accurate. By the way, at the end of each one-way commute, my trip computer reads anywhere between 75 and 85 mpg (if only this was accurate !).

So, 60 mpg is entirely plausible.

Yes, but the guy has said he'll be doing A and B road driving with some town roads as well. He's not going to average 60mpg doing that and if he's trying to make an informed decision, it's better that the data he gets isn't flawed by people playing the 'my mpg is better than yours' game.

I agree that A&B road driving plus some town driving will not achieve 60mpg. However, my post is still valid as it shows that 60mpg is achievable without 'free-falling down a cliff'.

It's all useful information.

Why don't you post your mpg figures for your Mazda and give us all a laugh...........