g60/vr6 clutch conversion

vRShafz

Well after my clutch started slipping a couple of months ago...i thought it would be the perfect opportunity to change to the g60 flywheel and vr6 clutch kit

Firstly massive thanks to unit18 for fitting the above and also doing the tracking on my car which i had trouble getting down as i have zero arch gap! They quoted the BEST price and was worth the 50 mile drive to them :)

Secondly thanks to Bodge for supply the info needed (parts and part numbers required)

Got to says WOW.....car feels totality different. Fallen back in love with the vRS. Just need to get used to a softer clutch pedal and the fact it shoots forward as soon as it bites haha

Now just the buggering 17705 error code to solve ( which rears its ugly head as soon as i start the car...which im told could be throttle body? done a leak test and all seems well then)

A few pics that i took

a8c5eaab.jpg

f99fb267.jpg

8ba42e97.jpg

I had this done on the wifes Golf MK4 turbo and it made a massive difference, noticeablely more free revving and a much quicker motorway speed pick up in 5th (only 150bhp model so any difference is noticable)

Will be doing this myself once my clutch is dead!

Nice one Shafz. Same clutch kit as me there. You'll find getting off the line is a lot quicker and easier now!

Defo, clutch takes a little getting used to as soon as it bites it just wants to fly forwards

Boost gauge needle goes made haha....seems to boost to around 14-15psi...is that about right for a remapped car?

Anyone know the procedure for a throttle body reset?

Edited by vRShafz

Any price on this? My clutch has started shuddering at bite point? Could a 'normal' garage do this?

£20 for the bolts

£30 for g60 flywheel (i just put a used one in as it was in very good condition..otherwise its £100-£130 for dealers)

£80 something for a LUK clutch kit for a vr6

£120 for fitting it

I got mine done at unit 18 (site traders) and was very pleased with the service

a normal garage could do it

Euro Car Parts stock a complete uprgrade kit with everything brand new in the box, £229 off the shelf, thats where I got mine from,

Think if you look on their website theres a link on there somewhere if you search for it.

is that the Valeo Solid Flywheel Conversion Kit?

i seen that but was unsure what it would be like so went with the same setup as everyone else (tried and tested)

is that the Valeo Solid Flywheel Conversion Kit?

i seen that but was unsure what it would be like so went with the same setup as everyone else (tried and tested)

The Valeo kits seem fine. It's the Transmech ones you need to avoid.

Three of my mates went with the Transmech kit based on price. They were for older cars so they took the view that even if they didn't last as long as the Valeo, the Transmech ones should still outlive the car.

Two of them failed within six weeks. Asking around, some of the VW Golf guys have had problems with Transmech too.

They were bought from Euro Car Parts so to keep life simple, they upgraded to the Valeo kits that ECP also sell. Both got their money back for the Transmech kits, but only after ECP had sent them back to the manufacturer.

I guess you get what you pay for.

Now just the buggering 17705 error code to solve ( which rears its ugly head as soon as i start the car...which im told could be throttle body? done a leak test and all seems well then)

I had this on my Mk4 Golf Anniversary, & it turned out to be a problem with the remap (Generic).

Chased my tail looking for a boost or vacuum leak for weeks & £££££'s. Car would throw 17705 on cold start up & go into limp mode.

Finally had the Revo trial loaded in & hey presto no code. Had the car Revo'd a week or two later, & never saw the dreaded 17705 code again.

There's a long thread on uk-mkiv.net about 17705.

I had this on my Mk4 Golf Anniversary, & it turned out to be a problem with the remap (Generic).

Chased my tail looking for a boost or vacuum leak for weeks & £££££'s. Car would throw 17705 on cold start up & go into limp mode.

Finally had the Revo trial loaded in & hey presto no code. Had the car Revo'd a week or two later, & never saw the dreaded 17705 code again.

There's a long thread on uk-mkiv.net about 17705.

yup i read that epic long thread and the ones on this forum

Going to try a throttle body reset and see if it makes any difference

yup i read that epic long thread and the ones on this forum

Going to try a throttle body reset and see if it makes any difference

I'd be absolutely amazed if resetting the throttle body would solve this.