Correct Tyre Load Index

Hi,

My Superb has just had new tyres fitted by my dealer (it was going for it's first service and they matched some very competitive prices). However, the original tyres fitted at the factory were Pirelli P Zero Rosso 225/45/17 94 W, and the dealer have fitted 225/45/17 91 Y; the speed rating is not a concern but the load rating is obviously lower than the OE tyres. This doesn't really bother me too much but I understand that it might bother an insurance company.

Where can I find the correct load rating for a Superb? The Owners Manual is useless!

Thanks,

Justin.

the speed rating is not a concern but the load rating is obviously lower than the OE tyres. This doesn't really bother me too much but I understand that it might bother an insurance company.

Where can I find the correct load rating for a Superb? The Owners Manual is useless!

You say the rating dosn't bother you much... I assume therefore that you never carry equipment or passengers?

The permitted load for a superbo is typically about 550kg (Varies depending on equipment and model)

Now I weigh 103kg (yes I know I'm overweight - but not much more than typical for a UK 30-something.

You put 4 adults, plus a full tank of diesel into a car plus suitcases and you could very easily exceed the 550kg limit. - on a trip to the Pub on a friday lunch time with a full car load of men I could easily be getting close to a 500kg load. - and that's assuming there's nothing in the boot & that I took the roof-rack off.

A quick searck on this forum for ELK TEST will show a video of what can happen if you overload your tyres. - Scary!!!

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/165833-superb-combi-with-18-looses-front-tyre-in-elk-test/page__p__2023951__hl__%20tyre%20review__fromsearch__1entry2023951

Your Tyres are your life! - They're all that sit between the road and your braking and steering systems. - they're the single most important safety feature of your car.

I would have the same question about finding the correct Tyre Pressures. - I'm used to finding it on a plate on the drivers door or inside the Fuel Cap I cant' find it anywhere.

Edited by AnRuaRI

You say the rating dosn't bother you much... I assume therefore that you never carry equipment or passengers?

The permitted load for a superbo is typically about 550kg (Varies depending on equipment and model)

Now I weigh 103kg (yes I know I'm overweight - but not much more than typical for a UK 30-something.

You put 4 adults, plus a full tank of diesel into a car plus suitcases and you could very easily exceed the 550kg limit. - on a trip to the Pub on a friday lunch time with a full car load of men I could easily be getting close to a 500kg load. - and that's assuming there's nothing in the boot & that I took the roof-rack off.

I understand this; I weigh 136kg, and have often thought that if my car contained the tight five we would be over the payload of many motor cars. A 91 rated tyre would still theoretically be able to support the max permissible weight of the car, but if it is not to the correct Skoda specifications then I will obviously return to the dealer; if you can't get a dealer to fit the correct tyres to a car then who can? And why can't I find this information easily in my manual or on a Skoda website?

I have also wondered if the slightly softer sidewalls of the 91 rated tyre will improve the ride slightly. The new tyres are Bridgestones, so can't be directly compared to the OE Pirelli, but so far can detect no discernible decrease in precision or turn in.

Justin.

And why can't I find this information easily in my manual or on a Skoda website?

It is on the German Skoda site. The approved tyre dimensions are in a document called "Serienbereifung". You can find it here. Scroll down to Superb 3T and it shows that for most dimensions you need the 94 load index.

Furthermore, every dealer and tyre center can supply those tyres with higher load index, but the problem is that they usually have the 91 rated tyres in stock, and they make more money by selling you stock tyres than tyres that have to be specially ordered for you.

• 2 years later...

Apologies for resurrecting this old thread, I have been searching for a while to get a definitive answer to the correct load index for a 2009 Superb II Hatch DSG Elegence 170ps, because I want to fit winter tyres (205/55 R16).

I think I've found an answer, it's a little bit complicated, but bear with me........I have read in lots of places that these tyres should be rated 94 and for the ContiWinterContact TS850 tyre this may also come with an XL rating and speed rating V, however these are difficult to find and more expensive than the 91 rating speed rating H, which is a much more common tyre.

The handbook doesn't provide a load index at all, just recommended tyre and wheel sizes, I have gone for 7J x 16 wheels and the 205/55 16 combo.

The handbook and online Skoda site provides a kerbweight of 1497Kg and a maximum weight of 2135Kg providing a payload of 638Kg, divide the max weight by 4 wheels and you have a load on each wheel of 533.75Kg (I am not sure if the load on each axle is evenly distributed when unladen).

The Elegance OE tyres are rated 92Y for 18inch tyres (from the website) which suggests 630Kg per wheel, looking at specs for other trim levels of the Superb, the 16inch tyres are rated at 91H OE, I believe that dropping to the 91 tyres (615Kg per wheel) will still be within spec for the vehicle, and that's what I am thinking of doing.

Whilst a 91 load rating and a drop to H speed rating might be perfectly safe for the vehicle specs (and is listed for other trim levels of the Superb), I'm not sure what the position would be with the insurance?

Edited by Guest

Can't remember the exact source and details, but when I replaced my 18" tyres a few months ago I was DEFINITELY pointed to a 92 load rating. It might have been one of those sites where you enter your registration number and they come up with the suitable tyres. It was so clear that from that point on I only searched for 92 rating and, of course, eventually bought 92 rating.

This was for a 1.8TSi manual Elegance saloon; I would imagine that for a diesel, an estate or a 4X4 the requirement would be even more firmly established.

Might be different for 16" and 17", of course.

Edited by Ned Brickley

Yes for 18" wheels or whatever the oem for the vehicle then sticking with the recommended load rating or higher is the way to go, 18" on the superb has oem 92Y so that or higher is the way to go.

I fitted 94Hand confirmed with the insurer (Skoda) that they are happy with this solution. They only requirment was, that wheels are to be fitted by a garage :notme: .

However I have a question - on front axel I have "uncovered" hub (or whatever it is called :makeup: ). Should I put there any cap or wheel covers will be fine?