Supermarket fuel...

DanBoy

Was just wondering if anyone has had any issues with Supermarket fuel killing lambda sensors?

Basically my EML light came on yesterday and I left the car at the garage today and I've just rung them and they said it needed a new lambda sensor, possibly caused by supermarket fuel, now the nearest petrol station to me is Tescos so I've been using their 99 stuff as I only use super unleaded in it.

I'll try avoiding the supermarket fuel if this is the case, was just wondering if anyone else has had this??

Edited by DanBoy

i think its a myth. i really can't see that tobesco's have there own special watered down fuel. i say your nearest posh brand station has the very same supplier.

Thats what I thought, seemed odd, I've only had the car a couple of weeks and only had 2 tanks of Tesco's 99, so can't see that I've done anything to kill the lambda sensor lol.

Edited by DanBoy

I've been running on tesco 99 for ages, and nothing has gone wrong.

What mileage does the car have?

Its on 108k, I was due to get the car back tonight, but they've fitted a new wheel bearing to it but the ball joint is spining, so won't get it back till tomorrow now :(

Its on 108k, I was due to get the car back tonight, but they've fitted a new wheel bearing to it but the ball joint is spining, so won't get it back till tomorrow now :(

Been running Tesco 99 (now "Momentum") for 2 1/2 years with no problems at all. Only time I had an issue was with BPs old 99, which even with 2 tanks ran like a tortoise with 2 legs.. ;)

I'm on a 110k and car is running sweet. Wouldn;t use anything else TBH...

Carry on using Momentum - nothing to worry about ! :)

Edited by gm2112

Thanks for all the input, just wanted to be 100% sure :)

Hi notice you are local to me. I have just started using tesco 99 from Mereway tesco maybe me but car flew yesterday. You using there or tesco weston favell?

Hi notice you are local to me. I have just started using tesco 99 from Mereway tesco maybe me but car flew yesterday. You using there or tesco weston favell?

I use Weston Favell as I'm over in Ecton Brook :)

Well I had the car back less than 24 hours and the engine light has come back on :(

Does the VRS have one or two lambda's?? think I need to see someone who has VAGCOM and see whats coming up and then go and moan at the garage again lol, had the car 3 weeks and they've had it in twice for stuff so far lol.

Edited by DanBoy

Well I had the car back less than 24 hours and the engine light has come back on :(

Does the VRS have one or two lambda's?? think I need to see someone who has VAGCOM and see whats coming up and then go and moan at the garage again lol, had the car 3 weeks and they've had it in twice for stuff so far lol.

Iirc.the octy has a.pre and post cat sensor on the downpipe, the post cat being the most expensive.

Had to change this on my first vrs. Hope this helps.