can you remove the roof rails on the Octavia estate?

bass

Hi there,

wondering if you can easily remove the roof rails on an Octavia estate, without making a mess of the roof? ...and then fit the correct bars?

I am guessing not, but im sure someone will have a good understanding of how these are attached.

I would presume both the silver and black bars are 100% identical bar the colour also?

cheers for any advice.

To remove the roof bars you need to drop the headlining to access the bolts.

I don't know for sure but I'm sure I read somewhere that it can be a nightmare as it is glued in place. Its also very difficult to re-fit.

Yes, the silver and black bars share an identical profile and dimensions.

If your car was delivered with black rails and you ordered silver then it shouldn't be too difficult for the dealer to change them over (at their expense) as they are available to order direct from Skoda.

I enquired about some for my Scout but the cost was too much to justify what is essentially a cosmetic enhancement - they do look nice on dark coloured cars though!

thanks for the v. helpful replies. I had mixed feelings about this- obviously not delivered as requested, but dont want to make a mess of an otherwise neat looking brand new car.

Will ask the dealer to replace for free and see what they say..... along with some additional compensation.

alberg, my dealer told me that the headlining needed to be removed.

Where are the three plastic covers located?

If this is the case I may re-look at getting some silver effect ones for my car...

bass, please keep us posted on the outcome!

Mine come out to be painted in grey, like the rims

It´s a 2010 model and it has 3 plastic covers, remove them and unbolt de screws

no roof lining inside was toucht or removed.

1009314q.jpg

They may have cut into your rooflining to access the bolts and put plastic covers there to hide the holes in the rooflining. I haven't seen any estates with these covers.

3 plastic covers marked with black color ( sorry)

Here in Portugal they all como with these, black or silver

1009314u.jpg

Without roofrails, went to paint

1009293.jpg

Doesn´t yours look like these from Superskoda.com

The 3 plastic covers are on the middle

http://www.superskoda.com/images/Oem/LAS620001-5.jpg

las6200015.jpg

Edited by alberg

Agree with alberg, mine are coming off to be painted and so was having a quick glance at them yesterday and the plastic cover cam off the front of the roofrack easily revealing the bolt so wont need to remove the headlining to change.

• 2 months later...

3 plastic covers marked with black color ( sorry)

Here in Portugal they all como with these, black or silver

1009314u.jpg

Without roofrails, went to paint

1009293.jpg

Doesn´t yours look like these from Superskoda.com

The 3 plastic covers are on the middle

http://www.superskoda.com/images/Oem/LAS620001-5.jpg

las6200015.jpg

I want to remove my rails entirely, any ideas what I put in place of the screw holes?

I wish I could find a single slim strip rail, in black to match my black vRS.

I want to remove my rails entirely, any ideas what I put in place of the screw holes?

I wish I could find a single slim strip rail, in black to match my black vRS.

I have seen some earlier models that have no roof rails.

See this white model

http://www.autoscout24.eu/Details.aspx?id=vipkiaxa4o3i&asrc=fa

This confirms that the compulsary introduction of DRL's next year will see front fog lights fitted to the all specs of Octavia, not just Elegance and above.

That stereo looks pretty basic, rear PDC, centre armrest, climate and space spaver, unusual for a base spec.

€15,489 EUR equates to approx. £12,965.

Quite like the look without roof rails!

I have seen some earlier models that have no roof rails.

See this white model

http://www.autoscout24.eu/Details.aspx?id=vipkiaxa4o3i&asrc=fa

Yeah mate, that looks better!

I unscrewed the bars at the weekend and found that the holes beneath are big nasty squared holes with rounded ends!! ****E!

I bought some circular auto body plugs hoping they'd do the trick, but how wrong I was. I have about 5mm either side left to fill.

I think my only option is to talk to my local body shop and see if they can use some filler and spray over the top. PRICEY $$$$

Which leaves me thinking... is it all worth it?

• 3 years later...

You do on the MkII non-vRS Octavia.

No fog lights = no DRL's.

The option of using dipped headlights is via VCDS and not a set-up used by Skoda in the UK.

I think this is the oldest thread I have revived :D

Haha yea this is an old thread, but one thing just incase anyone does stumble soon this for info is that you don't need to drop the headlining to remove the rails. There is a cover on the front middle and rear of the rails and a bolt underneath which is removed externally.

On the other question I didn't know you would buy a Uk Octavia without front fogs tbh.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Most MkII Octavia's (pre FL and FL) never got front fog light's as standard, only the higher spec models (vRS, Scout, Elegance and L&K)...

Most are S, SE and SE Plus with black blanking plates.

Without the front fogs you also lose out on the DRL's...

59681C3AF269A8E8467542494E07B.jpg

• 4 years later...
6 hours ago, parky1949 said:

Do the bars on the 2005 fabia come off in the same way

If the roof bars are a similar design to the mk1 Octavia you need to pull the roof lining to one side to gain access to the bolts that go out through the roof and into the roof rails.  The parts explosion link below tends to support that view but doesn't confirm the fixings.

http://www.oemepc.com/skoda/part_single/catalog/sk/markt/CZ/modell/FAB/year/2005/drive_standart/453/hg_ug/071/subcategory/71080/part_id/2563256/lang/e

A Google{tm} image search on the roof rails part number (LAH420001A) shows a Czech site offering a kit of rails, bolts and washers:

http://www.cc-autodily.cz/stresni-nosic-podelny

Regards, Mike

I've changed mine after one got damaged, I can 100% say that on a MkII all you need to do is unclip the very front & back sloping plastic covers and the cover on the middle strut bit just above the c pillar, then simply unbolt and remove! No need to do anything with the headlining, it's all external.

Piece of the proverbial, 10-15 minute job.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Just found this thread via search engine, as opposed to the search feature in Briskodas forum.  I'm after refurbing my roof bars on my Mk 1 Octy, as they are flaking now.  I've not pulled the front and rear covers off but I just want to clarify with you guys that the headlining doesn't need to come down, is this correct?

Cheers for your help.

Probably best to ask your question again in the Mk 1 forum but the reply from Sticky Mickey above suggests you do need to unclip the roof lining at the sides.

On 30/08/2018 at 23:23, StickyMicky said:

If the roof bars are a similar design to the mk1 Octavia you need to pull the roof lining to one side to gain access to the bolts that go out through the roof and into the roof rails.