Cornering Fogs? Any benefit?

rob_e

For cornering fogs you need a 23byte Central Electrics control module. Generally found on 57 plate cars onwards (although some late 07 plates have the controller).

Using fog lights as a cornering light is not illegal due and looking at cars which have it as standard I can't see any difference in the lenses on them to mine. They only work under about 20mph and if you pick adaptive this is IMHO better. This means say for example you are going around a roundabout your right hand light will be on. However if you indicate left it cancels the one on the right and illuminates the left light.

I find it really useful especially on some of the dark narrow unlit roads near where I work. Has stopped me hitting a few potholes that otherwise I probably would have missed.

Each to their own I suppose. :)

Good memory! :giggle:

• 3 weeks later...

hi guys, i can find the box to tick to activatre the lights to work, but where do I activate the MFD in the vag to be able to switch them on or off from the MFD??

Kris

As I understand it, you can't. The only maxidot option relating to 'cornering' lights is for the adaptive OEM xenon headlights.

I have a 2010 FL vRS 170

I did not order xenon lights.

I asked my dealer about this option and they said only available on Superb and Octy with xenons.

So you say I can enable it then?

Must give my buddy a shot that has the vagcom emoticon-0148-yes.gif

thanks

Dealer is a tit.

Cornering fogs to them are the mechanical units in the Superb and Octy with Xenons

All you want is the care coded to enable them. Sure you dont have the mechanical ones but this does not mean you cant code them to have a very simliar function. My dealer said they would do it, then when it was delivered to me they said they could not - was peeved as i said i could provide them the coding if needed.

Idiots - Watford BTW

Anyway - got a third party to enable it for me.

:)

• 8 years later...
10 hours ago, Adam26 said:

Would any one be able to help, I’m in Oxfordshire  and if any one who has vagcom or vcds . Can they activate fog lamp ? 

There is a list and a map of people willing to help with VCDS by going to the home page and then following the sections below:-

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Adam26 said:

Hi I have brought a Carista how can this be done on the app? 

Plug your diagnostics unit into the diagnostic port (on the right side, almost hidden, on the underside of the dashboard trim near the bonnet handle) and connect to the app with wifi or Bluetooth as appropriate for the diagnostic unit you bought.

Tell the app the make and model of car etc and open the changes page and make your choices.

Cornering lights are available on face-lift models but may not be there for earlier cars.

What age is your car?

11 minutes ago, Adam26 said:

It’s a 2012 model.

So is mine, so you can do it.

Carista App used to add: activate DRL [no need to on Vrs];  tear wipe on front and rear wipers after wash; rear wiper activates if in reverse and front wiper is switched on manually or automatically; cornering lights using front fogs; lane change indicators changed to 5 secs on time; coming home lights enabled on dip beam.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Adam26 said:

Can I add digital mph with Carista? 

Unfortunately no. Once you are connected through the diagnostic port, you will see the full range of options. 

9 hours ago, pikpilot said:

So is mine, so you can do it.

Carista App used to add: activate DRL [no need to on Vrs];  tear wipe on front and rear wipers after wash; rear wiper activates if in reverse and front wiper is switched on manually or automatically; cornering lights using front fogs; lane change indicators changed to 5 secs on time; coming home lights enabled on dip beam.

I have got a Carista for my 2007 model which will arrive in a couple of days. Will let you know if I can do cornering fog lights on that one also.

Are there any other good/useful functions that we can active? A sort of "must"?

48 minutes ago, kris_kristofferson said:

I have got a Carista for my 2007 model which will arrive in a couple of days. Will let you know if I can do cornering fog lights on that one also.

Are there any other good/useful functions that we can active? A sort of "must"?

The features are a bit Marmite. I love cornering lights (especially the fact that both fogs are switched on when reversing) as I live in a dark  place with no street lights) but others think cornering lights are pointless. Same with the tear drop wipe and auto rear wiper. You just have to try them and make up your own mind. Let us know what you end up with.

From the Carista page after putting in your model year, the features list is shown below, however from what others have said I believe some features may not work on pre-facelift. :

EDIT. The list does not show up on some browsers. You may have to swipe to see. 

So here is the alternative:

https://caristaapp.com/vehicles/skoda/octavia/mk2

Doors / Windows / Remote

Auto-lock doors when moving

Yes / No

Auto-unlock doors when key is taken out of ignition

Yes / No

Pop trunk via remote

Enabled / Disabled

Beep when locking with remote

Yes / No

Beep when unlocking with remote

Yes / No

Blink turn signals when locking with remote

Yes / No

Blink turn signals when unlocking with remote

Yes / No

Beep when locking with key

Yes / No

Beep when unlocking with key

Yes / No

Close windows via long-press on remote

Yes / No

Yes / No

Blink turn signals when locking with key

Yes / No

Blink turn signals when unlocking with key

Yes / No

Unlock doors via remote

Driver's door on 1st press, all on 2nd / All doors on 1st press

Enable settings for opening/closing windows and sunroof

Yes / No

Open/close windows and sunroof via long-press on remote

Yes / No

Open windows via long-press on remote
Open sunroof via long-press on remote

Yes / No

Close sunroof via long-press on remote

Yes / No

Open/close windows and sunroof by turning and holding key in driver-side door lock

Yes / No

Open/close windows and sunroof by turning and holding key in passenger-side door lock

Yes / No

Open/close windows and sunroof by turning and holding key in trunk lock

Yes / No

Open windows by turning and holding key in door lock

Yes / No

Close windows by turning and holding key in door lock

Yes / No

Open sunroof by turning and holding key in door lock

Yes / No

Close sunroof by turning and holding key in door lock

Yes / No

Sunroof action when opening via remote

Slide / Tilt

Alarm system

Enabled / Disabled

Alarm system disarming

Via remote or key / Via remote only

Re-lock doors automatically if you unlock, but don't open a door

Yes / No

Enable remote control buttons when ignition is on

Yes / No

Delay alarm activation

Yes / No

Instruments / Display / Dings

Instrument cluster language

Chinese / Czech / English / French / German / Italian / Portuguese / Spanish / Symbols (no text)

Instrument cluster region (affects ext. lights too)

Germany / Europe / USA / Canada / Great Britain / Japan / Saudi Arabia / Australia

Seat belt warning

Enabled / Disabled

Lane-change turn signal auto-flasher

Enabled / Disabled

Lights

Daytime running lights

Off / All lights / Headlights only

Use fog lights as daytime running lights

Yes / No

Side marker brightness

0 - 100 %

Daytime running lights (DRL) brightness

0 - 100 %

Front parking light brightness

0 - 100 %

Rear parking light brightness

0 - 100 %

Rear brake lights as parking light brightness

0 - 100 %

Rear fogs as parking light brightness

0 - 100 %

Disable US side marker lights (US models only)

Yes / No

Coming-home lights

Enabled / Disabled

Leaving-home lights

Enabled / Disabled

Coming-home lights mode

Based on personalization / Automatic

Ambient light threshold for leaving-home lights

0 / 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7

Additional high beam with bi-xenon

Yes / No

Turn off front fog lights when high beams are on

Yes / No

Rear fog lights

Enabled / Disabled

Cornering lights

Enabled / Disabled

Cornering lights use…

Disabled / Fog lights / High beams / Xenon lights

Flash brake lights in emergency stopping

Yes / No

Other

TSC (Torque Steering Compensation)

Enabled / Disabled

Lower passenger-side mirror when in reverse gear (req. memory seats)

Yes / No

Additional 'tear' wipe after windshield washer use

Yes / No

Additional 'tear' wipe after rear window washer use

Yes / No

Auto-enable rear wiper when front wipers on (interval) and reverse gear engaged

Yes / No

Auto-enable rear wiper when front wipers on (continuous) and reverse gear engaged

Yes / No

•  
Edited by pikpilot
Added direct link

1 hour ago, kris_kristofferson said:

As a feedback, in my 2007 prefacelift I cannot program the fog lights to act as cornering lights with Carista. Just tried.

My earlier replies were to Adam with his 2012 model. DRLs, cornering lights etc were included in face lift models. However, the Carista information shows that cornering lights are possible on pre face lift model cars as shown in the link. It also says fogs can be used as drls.

I suspect the sample information for pre facelift cars may be wrong, in which you case you should be able to get your money back.

In case anyone looks at this thread with a later car fitted with drls, it is a two step process. First you have to activate the drls with Carista, VCDC or other software and then switch on the drls  using the left hand stalk as shown in the handbook. These steps only need to be done once.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all. Quick update.

carista arrived and for £15

its enabled digital speedo as I have maxi dot.

enabled fog lamps when turning left and right and few more worth the £15 and does a few other tricks worth it in my own opinion.

• 2 months later...

I have done coding described in this forum to activate cornering lights on Octavia MY16, and it worked.

But cornering light work only when lowbeam is on, not when DRL is on (DRL bulb is located in inner part of headlight).

Does CL works along with DRL?

If so, can it be activated?

24 minutes ago, dejan011 said:

I have done coding described in this forum to activate cornering lights on Octavia MY16, and it worked.

But cornering light work only when lowbeam is on, not when DRL is on (DRL bulb is located in inner part of headlight).

Does CL works along with DRL?

If so, can it be activated?

That's the correct behaviour...

You don't need cornering lights during daylight hours ;)

1 hour ago, langers2k said:

That's the correct behaviour...

You don't need cornering lights during daylight hours ;)

Thanks for such a prompt reply :)

Seems I have another logic, so I was trying to "hack" software to make them run with DRLs.

If there is someone with same logic and more skills in VCDS than me, let me know :)