Octavia II (54) Blown! Turbo £1,900 replacement!

After 85K miles of trouble free motoring from new, my 54 1.9TDI (105 bhp) Octavia decided to lose power and emit a high pitch whine. :(

A tow to the nearest Skoda dealer and a friendly chat with the chap on the service desk 1 hour later and I was given a quote of £1900 for a replacement turbo to cure my motoring woes! Is this for real? Apparently so. A call to my local dealer managed to reduce the quote to £1,680, but with the £150 to tow to the car to my local dealer does not really make this worthwhile. Are recon turbos available for this engine? If so how much should I expect to pay? I was not being offered any by the dealer.

My turbo went on my Octavia PD 105 at 55k and I was offered a pattern Garrett turbo for £1200 fitted which was better but the prices youve been quoted arent unusual unfortunately! :thumbdown: :'(

Grahame

After 85K miles of trouble free motoring from new, my 54 1.9TDI (105 bhp) Octavia decided to lose power and emit a high pitch whine. :(

A tow to the nearest Skoda dealer and a friendly chat with the chap on the service desk 1 hour later and I was given a quote of £1900 for a replacement turbo to cure my motoring woes! Is this for real? Apparently so. A call to my local dealer managed to reduce the quote to £1,680, but with the £150 to tow to the car to my local dealer does not really make this worthwhile. Are recon turbos available for this engine? If so how much should I expect to pay? I was not being offered any by the dealer.

Recon or even s/hand is the way to go

No way you should consider paying anything like that

When my Mk1 blew a turbo many years ago (3 year old & current model at the time) I got one from a scrappy for under £200

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Worth talking to Turbo Dynamics, Turbo Technics and AET Turbos about a direct replacement. Then talk to a good independent about fitting. Your profile doesn't say whereabouts you are, so we can't help on that score.

Steve

Pretty sure I paid no more than £800 for a fitted recon turbo from turbo technics, using an indy garage. That was on a PD 140 engine but can't believe it would be much different on the 1.9. My father just paid £1700 at VW on a PD 140, but was able to negotiate a £500 goodwill gesture from VW.

• 4 years later...

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Worth talking to Turbo Dynamics, Turbo Technics and AET Turbos about a direct replacement. Then talk to a good independent about fitting. Your profile doesn't say whereabouts you are, so we can't help on that score.

Steve

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but out of those 3,which would you prefer?!