1.6 CR nnnnnooooooooooooo

I had a test drive in the 1.6 CR hatch today, all I can say is after the 3 hour test is Skoda forget it, the engine is far to small for the size of car, or as we say in Scotland as flat as a skitter

You have to give it far more welly in every gear just to get the thing moving, up to normal traffic speed, I took it on the M8 for 20 miles and it did not feel safe for over taking, and driving in the city was a nightmare

When I got back into my 1.9 105 octy estate it felt like a rocket

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a test drive in the 1.6 CR hatch today, all I can say is after the 3 hour test is Skoda forget it, the engine is far to small for the size of car, or as we say in Scotland as flat as a skitter

You have to give it far more welly in every gear just to get the thing moving, up to normal traffic speed, I took it on the M8 for 20 miles and it did not feel safe for over taking, and driving in the city was a nightmare

Are you referring to the 1.6 superb estate? Skoda Norway told me the factory producing the 1.6 cr engine didn`t even open before late september, how can it be that you already have test-driven one? Have they lied to me about the factory? :S

i dont understand why a 1.6 Diesel would be a good idea in the superb - if anything, its just dangerous! - We've got 115 BHP in my Wife's Cee'd from a 1.6 CRDi engine, and that's just fine and dandy, but less horses in a MUCH bigger car? no thanks!

If a 3.0 Diesel was available, as per Audi A6, that would have been the model i would have ordered...

Hmmm, not good as my company is restricting the car we can choose based on CO2 emmisions...This will be the only Superb I can have if I want one...Funny that it felt that slow though, given that the figures are the same as the old 1.9 thats been in the car up to now

Hmmm, not good as my company is restricting the car we can choose based on CO2 emmisions...This will be the only Superb I can have if I want one...Funny that it felt that slow though, given that the figures are the same as the old 1.9 thats been in the car up to now

I am in the same boat with my company car. Our company aims to get all company car drivers into a diesel car producing no more than 150g/km. My current Superb is officially 151g/km, however, on my tax return it is listed as 150g/km.

In 2 and a bit years I'll be replacing my Superb, possibly with a 1.6Tdi Octy or Superb. On a company car tax basis they make a lot of sense, saving around £24 per month (£1,152 over 4 years). In addition, there is a potential fuel saving.

A colleague has just taken delivery of a Octy estate with the 1.6Tdi engine and DSG. This combination may be better than the manual option. I aim to have a drive once he's put on a few thousand miles.

If I opted for a 1.6Tdi I'd get it mapped as soon as possible. I'm sure this would improve the driveability.

Alternatively, a Superb or Octy with the 2.0 Tdi CR would be slightly more economical than my exisiting 1.9Tdi, with lower emissions, quieter and with the potential to remap to 170bhp. This engine would also have the benefit of a 6 speed gearbox.

The latest edition of Superb brochure seems to suggest that the 1,6 CR TDI is not fitted with a DPF. This may be an option for a leisurely driver who does not require the power and does not want to worry about the DPF issues.

Skoda UK indicates that the earliest delivery of the 1.6 CR TDI will take place somewhere in Jan 2011. You already have the 1.6 CR TDI Superb in Scotland in early Oct - that's marvellous.

Thats a strange conclusion that you found it slow, your 1.9 tdi has almost identical bhp/torque. 103bhp/184lb/ft compared to the 1.6cr 103bhp/185lb/ft. Its probably because as said previously the engine is new and not run in as i very much doubt there would be much of a difference if any except the 1.6cr would be quieter.

Thats a strange conclusion that you found it slow, your 1.9 tdi has almost identical bhp/torque. 103bhp/184lb/ft compared to the 1.6cr 103bhp/185lb/ft. Its probably because as said previously the engine is new and not run in as i very much doubt there would be much of a difference if any except the 1.6cr would be quieter.

In the current absence of a 1.6 CR TDI Superb, perhaps the best gauge of this small-ish engine's capaibilities can be inferred from a Passat 1.6 CR TDI with the same torque & power output and similar vehicular weight. Anyone has experience with the 1.6 TDI Passat?

In the current absence of a 1.6 CR TDI Superb, perhaps the best gauge of this small-ish engine's capaibilities can be inferred from a Passat 1.6 CR TDI with the same torque & power output and similar vehicular weight. Anyone has experience with the 1.6 TDI Passat?

Hi

One of the guys at work has a new golf estate 1.6tdi bluemotion

which he says is fine and when you look at the facts

golf estate weight 1400kg 0-60 11.9

superb combi weight 1539kg 0-60 12.5

and my collouge carries about 250kg of payload

he used to have a 1.8tdci mondeo and reckons the golf feels quicker although he did say that in 6th on the motorway at 60+ if you need to accelerate best to drop a gear

hope this helps

Andy

Skoda UK indicates that the earliest delivery of the 1.6 CR TDI will take place somewhere in Jan 2011. You already have the 1.6 CR TDI Superb in Scotland in early Oct - that's marvellous.

Where did you find this quote? Do you have a link?

Cheers!

Its strange how some people treat the small engine in a big car as some sort of affront to their masculinity. I'm sure that when it arrives it will perform more than adequately.

Nothing to do with that, it's called power to weight ratio, and it negates itself most of the time, 2.2 doing an average of 2500 rpm vs 1.6 doing 3200 rpm on average, the fuel ends up the same because one uses less to do the same as the other.

The 1.6 TDI CR Superb hasn't yet arrived in the UK - I assume you drove the Octavia 1.6 TDI?

I've driven the 1.9 TDI 105BHP and the 1.6 TDI 105BHP Octavia Estate back to back, and found it to be a massive improvement over the outgoing PD Engine.

Much quieter, more linear power delivery, smooth set off and take up. Infact - a complete revelation.

Sure, its no 170BHP - but its designed to do a very different job.

2nd biggest estate car on sale in the UK today with just 114g/km is, in my opinion, amazing!

We expect the engine to perform similarly as the volvo 1.6 and that is enough for our drivingstyle. Here in the northern part of Norway there are absolute no highways whatsoever and the speedlimit is 80 km/h in 95% of the country. Further the roads are narrow and winding with hils and mountain-passes, unless you have a REALLY fast car it is very hazardous to overtake on such narrow roads anyway and slower drivers generally let you pass by at the first opportunity, (allthough tourists don`t always apply this MO :thumbdown: )

The cars me and my family drive here are seldom over 2500 RPM and when they do hit 3000 pluss it is mostly on downhill roads to add extra inertia to the car while braking.

Therefore the 1.6 will cover that part of the market where Skoda expects to attract customers who are either interrested in a "greener" ride or who are not interested/ do not have the possibility to drive fast and appreciate/use the car mostly to cruise home from work and at the same time relax while doing so, as it still will be one of the more luxurious cars in its segment of the market.

And that is what it is in my opinion, Skoda offers an engine to people that prefer quieter, "greener" and more relaxed driving and that just have the need for a spacious, luxurious car. When you do your driving mainly on highways, need a car for towing a caravan etc, or just enjoy a more powerfull drive, you get a car with a bigger engine ;) .

Just my two cents...

Edited by Doc Watchtower

We expect the engine to perform similarly as the volvo 1.6 and that is enough for our drivingstyle. Here in the northern part of Norway there are absolute no highways whatsoever and the speedlimit is 80 km/h in 95% of the country. Further the roads are narrow and winding with hils and mountain-passes, unless you have a REALLY fast car it is very hazardous to overtake on such narrow roads anyway and slower drivers generally let you pass by at the first opportunity, (allthough tourists don`t always apply this MO :thumbdown: )

The cars me and my family drive here are seldom over 2500 RPM and when they do hit 3000 pluss it is mostly on downhill roads to add extra inertia to the car while braking.

Therefore the 1.6 will cover that part of the market where Skoda expects to attract customers who are either interrested in a "greener" ride or who are not interested/ do not have the possibility to drive fast and appreciate/use the car mostly to cruise home from work and at the same time relax while doing so, as it still will be one of the more luxurious cars in its segment of the market.

And that is what it is in my opinion, Skoda offers an engine to people that prefer quieter, "greener" and more relaxed driving and that just have the need for a spacious, luxurious car. When you do your driving mainly on highways, need a car for towing a caravan etc, or just enjoy a more powerfull drive, you get a car with a bigger engine ;) .

Just my two cents...

I can see it being a hit on Jersey and the IOW :rofl:

Nope, but I do have a brand new 2.0CR TDI Passat estate - the entry level 110bhp model, which although a 2L is comparable in power and torque., and I've come from a 1.9TDI Octy estate.

What I can tell you is that there is definitely a period of getting used to driving a CR engine having come from a PD TDI. As we all know, the CR engine is smoother and more linear in it's power/torque delivery. As a consequence that makes it "feel" slower as it's missing that kick in the pants sensation you get from the non-linear power surge in a PD TDI. Also, a CR needs to be driven/revved harder, more like a petrol engine, and that also makes it "feel" under-powered. It's just a characteristic of the engine - and that's pretty much what the OP described IMHO. In contrast, in my 1.9TDI Octy I can potter around slowly at 1200rpm, tickling the throttle in a very relaxed manner and still make good progress. They are just very different engines to drive despite being near identical on paper.

At the end of the day, ~100-110bhp is what it is. To me, having recently been driving 10-15 year old cars with 60-70bhp these engines are more than fast enough - I can drive up a steep hill without feeling like I'm going to come to a stop half way up. If I put my foot down I can still accelerate! However, if your point of reference is a 170bhp 2.0CR then of course these engines are going to feel slow in comparison.

At the end of the day I believe these engines are primarily intended for the company car/fleet market where emissions and economy is everything.

FWIW, people have said the same about the 1.6L engines in the latest Volvo V50 and V70 eDrive models.

Nothing to do with that, it's called power to weight ratio, and it negates itself most of the time, 2.2 doing an average of 2500 rpm vs 1.6 doing 3200 rpm on average, the fuel ends up the same because one uses less to do the same as the other.

I would bet the 1.6 is cheaper to buy.

A 1.6 petrol with 100hp/100lbs/ft is perfectly capable of hauling a 1300kg car. The extra torque from a similar size turbo diesel should be more than enough, even for something a bit bigger.

I would bet the 1.6 is cheaper to buy.

A 1.6 petrol with 100hp/100lbs/ft is perfectly capable of hauling a 1300kg car. The extra torque from a similar size turbo diesel should be more than enough, even for something a bit bigger.

Try to find a 1.3 Cavalier, or a 2.2 DTi Omega, take those for a spin and let me know if you still think they were a good idea in car's that size.

I can see the benefit if you live on an island and can now avoid a dpf, or if you are elderly and just potter about, but for a cab, or a repmobile I think it's an epic fail, and I predict they will have lots of turbo trouble with this car also.

Try to find a 1.3 Cavalier, or a 2.2 DTi Omega, take those for a spin and let me know if you still think they were a good idea in car's that size.

I can see the benefit if you live on an island and can now avoid a dpf, or if you are elderly and just potter about, but for a cab, or a repmobile I think it's an epic fail, and I predict they will have lots of turbo trouble with this car also.

Exhibit A: The Octy SDI taxi. They managed ;)

Its fair to say the market for these types of car (best example is the 1.6tdi V70)has been brought about by at least 2 reasons.

1. EU regulation regarding manufacturers emmissions figures across their fleets

2. Tax incentives relating to the first owners of these cars.

So manufacturers just have to make the car available to buy but if there's a market for it then people will manage with those deficiencies providing they save the money with the tax man.

As to their long term reliability prospects? Well, it hasn't stopped Skoda putting a 1.2 turbo petrol in the yeti and octy and a 1.4 turbo petrol in the superb. I would have far fewer qualms about a 1.6 diesel than either of these. IIRC the octy is pretty much as lardy as the superb when it comes to weight.

If a 3.0 Diesel was available, as per Audi A6, that would have been the model i would have ordered...

I wondered about that, but James at Allams - one of that rare breed, a sales executive with excellent product knowledge - told me that quite simply it won't fit. The Audi has an in-line engine installation, the Superb transverse (I think it was that way round!).

Exhibit A: The Octy SDI taxi. They managed ;)

Its fair to say the market for these types of car (best example is the 1.6tdi V70)has been brought about by at least 2 reasons.

1. EU regulation regarding manufacturers emmissions figures across their fleets

2. Tax incentives relating to the first owners of these cars.

So manufacturers just have to make the car available to buy but if there's a market for it then people will manage with those deficiencies providing they save the money with the tax man.

As to their long term reliability prospects? Well, it hasn't stopped Skoda putting a 1.2 turbo petrol in the yeti and octy and a 1.4 turbo petrol in the superb. I would have far fewer qualms about a 1.6 diesel than either of these. IIRC the octy is pretty much as lardy as the superb when it comes to weight.

Just ask any Pug owner with a 1.6 HDi engine what they think, and find one that hasn't had at least one turbo blow yet. :o;)

Just ask any Pug owner with a 1.6 HDi engine what they think, and find one that hasn't had at least one turbo blow yet. :o;)

Fair point. I drove a 110bhp version of this engine in a Mini Cooper and it was a lot of fun and sufficiently powerful. It also had none of the torque steer I experienced when driving a turbocharged 1.6 Cooper S.

My wife's remapped Fiesta 1.6Tdi went well, but did need some revs. It couldn't lug in higher gears at lower revs, however, this is a principal difference between PD and CR engines. It was much quieter though and deceptively fast when wound up.

I'm actually considering test driving a 1.6Tdi Passat to see how well it performs.

Driving in excess of 30,000 miles a year and having to pay for commuting/private mileage there are significant savings in opting for the 1.6Tdi, notably company car tax.

I suppose I should make the most of my PD Superb in the remaining 2 years 4 months before it is due for replacement. Mileage currently standing at 55,600.