PDI...

Northener

Hello all.

After a wait as long as most, and probably shorter than some, got very excited (bit like new toy at Christmas 30 years ago) as Yeti arrived this w/e to garage, to be detailed and picked up midweek. 140 SE TDi 4 x 4 in steel grey metallic, with OR button, heated front windscreen and spare tyre for the spec afficionados amongst you all.

So myself and other half dropped by garage to check if it had actually arrived (a few false starts and two previous delivery dates have come and gone so seeing is believing and stuff) and to our dismay discovered that although actually there and still "wrapped" from transit it has a dent and scrape in the OS rear quarter paned corner at junction of window and ail light assembly. Looks like something has swung and hit it.

Now this dent is by no means huge, but by its location it won't be possible to "vacuum" it out as it's very close to top corner of panel and having politely collared salesman (not sure how I did the polite thing but it wasn't his fault and we are British after all) he agreed that panel would probably need removed, sorted and refitted. Neither of us are repair / paintshop workers so not entirely clear yet.

Salesperson who is actually responsible for us on holiday so couldn't start proper decision-making, but could do with a bit of a heads up from anyone with a bit of knowledge out there as to what we should ask for: I have issues around:

1. Brand new car will have to be repaired before / if we drive it away

2. Will it be as perfect as factory car post repair? Well, objectively surely no: Reverse engineering and reassembly / respray cannot possibly be perfect, so

3. What to do? What recompense could we expect? Should we walk away? Should we get completely new un-fiddled with car? Would you drive off in a car that you knew had already had rear quarter taken apart and put back together again? Current car is Px so garage won't want 20 week further depreciation on its value against new car

So annoying, but as with most I'm sure you don't spend around £20K to drive away a repaired car! Couldn't stand another 20 week wait though.

Advice for a newbie greatly appreciated. I have no idea how "flexible" garage is as never dealt with them before.

Cheers. :|

Ho, POO!!

What a dizzy.

However, and I'm no expert at all, my own reaction would be to grit teeth, kick a few boulders about, then tell them to get on and fix it as soon as possible.

My experience of repaired cars, certainly in the VAG network has been that they are, actually, as good as new afterwards.

Over the years, having had emplyees and partners with VWs and Audis that have needed varying degrees of repair, I have been really pleasantly surprised by the quality of work undertaken. And remember the YETI will be completely covered by the warranty as it is new.

Frustration, yes, a longer wait, probably, but a 100% great car when you get it - YES.

So - sod it, and get on with it!! Good luck, and enjoy it when it comes.

For what its worth here is a new vehicle checklist I pulled together earlier this year from VW websites (I was looking at a Tiguan but now the Yeti is coming to Oz) that I plan to use given the few drama stories people have reported when they didn't check everything.

The stuff I have read says that you must check everything and get all defects recorded in writing with the dealer and agreed to be fixed/replaced before you drive off - else they may not be recognised/honoured. Recomendation is to still shot even video (with still shot camera) whats not working, and get the dealer to agree to fix it by a defined date/service.

I am going to feel weird doing it and worse asking stuff to be documented but its a HUGE financial commitment for me so I want to get it right. Especially if it means I cant drive away in my new car because of serious repairs or wrong build (it apparently happens).

Internal

Keys - plastic key tag with serial number for ordering replacement key

Odometer reading

Fuel level

Examine all upholstery (marks, stains, damage, fading)

Test everything

lights

air conditioning / hot/cold

boot release

bonnet release

central locking

all windows

radio / CD player (TAKE CD)

MDI Iphone / iPod / USB - test and CABLE present

RVC (?)

Bluetooth connection works (streaming / phone)

front and rear seat belts

fold down seats

glove box / driversside box

seats up and down

steering column (in/out up/down)

12 Volt work

Windows - run down, double click up and make sure close

Manual / Papers in wallet - service book filled / VIN physical and car

Radio security code

Wheel nuts / locking nut adapter in kit

Spare wheel / jack etc

External

Too much tire black? (wipe off or will spray car)

Paint in sun (Scratches, spots, marks, OPEN ALL DOORS)

Gaps in doors / split seals

Stone chips (fog and head lights)

Broken / Missing things

Check springs for transport blocks

Engine compartment clean

Fog lamps cornering works

Tyre pressure ok

Drive

Drive (squeaks, rattles)

Drive (Drive - Sports - Triptronic)

MDI Display readings

CHECK VAG codes are for your vehicle...

Post Pickup

Get Wheel Alignment / Tyre Pressure

Remove Card Dealer stickers and numberplate surround

This happens more than you think and very few people are any the wiser. Agree to have it repaired and that you will decide once inspected if you want to take the car or not. But I suspect you won't even notice a difference.

And to add to the check list: never accept a wet car - it was indoors but just washed they told me. I checked it and only when it was dry found something that looked like a rain drop was in fact a huge blemish in the paint.

Edited by 900000

A difficult decision and position to find yourself in. You've just ordered a new car at substantial expense and want it to be right. My gut instinct would be to reject it unless the dealer was to offer a reasonable refund (£500 - £1000) off and vehicle repaired to a satisfactory standard.

You need to ask yourself what would you be happy with?

A new car undamaged, or a new car repaired but at a too good to miss price?

My SM should be delivered very shortly (Build next week). I intend holding onto my money until I am completely satisfied with the purchase. I realize that damage in transit can occur but I wouldn't want to part with my hard earned cash for something I wasn't completely happy with.

Sorry to hear of your ordeal, I know having waited a considerable time for delivery you want to drive the vehicle away and enjoy, but ask yourself how you will feel in a months time when the novelty of a new vehicle has disappeared and you are left knowing that it has had a substantial repair?

Not an easy decision I wish you luck.

as has already been said, this is more common than u realise,...quite a few on here have probably got a car that has had a slight bump scratch dealt with before handover without knowing...my late father often told me of new cars he sold that had been in the bodyshop straight off the transporter :o apparently it is a common occurance in most dealers

If the paint hasn't cracked and the dent is small I suspect that the first thing the dealer will do is get one of the franchise dent removal companies in. Even in panel corners these people seem to be able to work miracles, especially if they can get internal access.

I would be talking to the dealer sales manager now, saying that you will not do final sign-off until you have seen the repair, but you MIGHT be willing to discuss a discount.

Do you really want to wait another 20 or more weeks?

And yes, it is a lot more common than most buyers think!

Edited by Llanigraham

You will be suprised how many cars are damaged in transport, and how many owners are driving around in cars blisfully unaware that it had spent time in the bodyshop before it was even registered.

If you had not gone to take a look, you will have picked it up as scheduled and all will have been tickety boo. The dent/scratch will be sorted, you will be suprised at what can be done these days without replacing a single thing. Look at the used cars on their forcourt, no supermarket dinks as they are really easy to remove.

Speak to the salesmen and see what he has to say.

Thanks for all replies: stuff to think about...

Think middle ground might be best approach. Initially thought of walking away, but indeed cannot face another 20 week wait for what seems by all (all!) accounts to be a brilliant car, particularly with winter approaching and us being up a Scottish moor (Honda Civic + snow + moor = toboggan: wheeeee!).

Any more experiences of this sort of thing out there?