Winter Tyres and Insurance

Del B

I've now had a full response from Skoda UK on the 16" vs 17" wheel issue. I must give some credit to the SUK Case Manager (Ian) who has been very responsive and pursued the issue with his Technical Department over the past 3 weeks. That said (and I'm only the messenger :S ) SUK's response is not at all helpful - their position is that every part on the vehicle, including the wheels, has a PR Code and they cannot endorse ANY change that represents a departure from a particular vehicle's PR coding as this may have warranty and performance implications. They accept that changing from 17" to 16" wheels on a Yeti SE would be unlikely to produce any serious issues but it is NOT something they could approve.

In my reply to SUK I have included the following statements:

"It is slightly irksome that in other parts of Europe the 16" wheel option is offered across the entire Yeti range and the Continental contributors to the Skoda forums can't understand why we're making a fuss in the UK about fitting wheels to cars that are standard fit in their countries. ......To be safe I'm going to order another set of identical Dolomite alloys and fit winter tyres to them although I believe this is sub-optimal in terms of cost, tyre availability and performance........ May I suggest you feedback to your technical/commercial departments that there is a great deal of interest in this subject amongst Skoda owners as evidenced by the feedback on Briskoda forum (for all models) .............. One of the contributors to the Briskoda forum today mentioned that BMW and Suzuki are offering winter wheel and tyres packages - I really think this is something Skoda would find there's a significant demand for."

I think I've taken this as far as possible (even to Honest John :thumbup: ) and I will now take Agerbundsen's advice and move on, albeit with an extra set 17" alloys and whatever Winter tyres I can get to fit them!

Thanks to all who have contributed to this post.

Cheers

DelB

Thanks for the update :thumbup:

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we get one thing straight.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING IN THE UK AS A SUMMER TYRE!!

All tyres sold in the UK are capable of dealing with all the seasons we have

While that was once true, maybe 30+ years ago, it really is no longer the case.

'Normal' cars have been getting bigger and heavier. Wheels have been getting bigger and wider. Tyres are wider and have a much lower profile. Tyre compounds and tread patterns have been optimised to provide more grip in warm conditions, channel water away more efficiently, while at the same time being durable enough to give an acceptably long life.

The situation today is that the majority of tyres fitted to cars are less appropriate to icy winter conditions compared to the tyres commonly in use some decades ago.

their position is that every part on the vehicle, including the wheels, has a PR Code and they cannot endorse ANY change that represents a departure from a particular vehicle's PR coding as this may have warranty and performance implications. They accept that changing from 17" to 16" wheels on a Yeti SE would be unlikely to produce any serious issues but it is NOT something they could approve.

Out of curiousity, what tyre sizes are mentioned on the label on the inside of the fuel flap?

Secondly, isn't it the case that any vehicle approved for use in other European countries is also approved for use on British roads? Meaning, specifically, that 16" wheels approved for use in other countries must also be approved for use in the UK?

Finally, looking at the Skoda UK approved Yeti accessories, it seems you can buy 7.0J x 16" Spectrum alloys to use with 215/60R16 tyres. I wouldn't be surprised if the Skoda parts database also included some 16" steel wheels as well - the easiest way to track them down might be to ask one of the European contributors to find the part number for different wheels in their country, and then ask a Skoda dealer how much those items would cost here ...

Am I missing something fundamental here?

Edited by AnotherGareth

The situation today is that the majority of tyres fitted to cars are less appropriate to icy winter conditions compared to the tyres commonly in use some decades ago.

Agreed, but they are not SUMMER tyres. I have checked with my local tyre dealer about this and he can find NO such tyres in his catalogues.

From the New Zealand Yeti accessories catalogue:

* Alloy wheel 7.0J x 16" Spectrum for tyre 215/60 R16 (CCR 800 001)

* Alloy wheel 7.0J x 16" Moon for tyre 215/60 R16 (CCR 800 005)

* Hub cover Rif for wheel 7.0J x 16", 4-piece set (CDB 800 001)

* Hub cover Cold for wheel 6.0J x 16", 4-piece set (CDB 630 001)

I think the last two are just wheel covers, but that surely implies that steel wheels in those sizes are also available.

Agreed, but they are not SUMMER tyres. I have checked with my local tyre dealer about this and he can find NO such tyres in his catalogues.

You're just nit-picking. Look up the same 'not summer' tyres in, for example, Germany and they'll be listed as summer tyres.

No I am not "nit picking" I am being accurate about the UK, where I live.

I have checked, and there are NO summer tyres listed by a tyre manufacturer for the UK market.

If it was the case then ALL car manufacturers who fitted such tyres would be required under C & U Regs to notify all owners by some method that they would need to change their tyres when temperatures reached a certain temperature, or the government would have to say after so-and-so date you must remove your summer tyres and fitted your winter tyres.

What I will agree on is that the modern trend to fit wide low profile tyres is not helpful if and when we get snow and ice. I would also say that the problem is aggrevated by the inability of the majority of drivers to recognise the problem and to drive accordingly. Perhaps before we start shouting about legislation we ought to think about education. It was certainly something we in the 4x4 Rersponse network found useful last year. The number of drivers we had to "instruct" about not using first and foot to the floor was crazy. Once told that second and gentle worked better often resulted in them not having to be towed!!

Great video link. Have just ordered a Yeti with (no doubt) summer tires. Live in London but concerned that for past 2 years, roads have been shut down during winter in my area and want to make sure I can get my pregnant girlfriend to hospital in a few weeks time. Looks like changing to winter tires might be way forward although am sure I'll get a shock with the cost...

so much for those who say that winter tyres offer no improvement on icy roads.

John

No I am not "nit picking" I am being accurate about the UK, where I live.

I have checked, and there are NO summer tyres listed by a tyre manufacturer for the UK market.

Looking at the Continental website for car tyres and they are categorised as Standard and Winter.

Looking at the Dunlop UK webpages, tyres are Summer, All Season, Winter, Nordic Winter, ...

Looking at the Goodyear UK website under car tyres, the choices are categorised as Summer, Winter, All Season, ...

Looking at the Michelin UK website, tyre choices are Summer, Winter and Track.

Looking at the Pirelli UK website under car tyres, the choices are Summer, All Season and Winter.

Perhaps you need to get a bit better at looking?

From the New Zealand Yeti accessories catalogue:

* Alloy wheel 7.0J x 16" Spectrum for tyre 215/60 R16 (CCR 800 001)

* Alloy wheel 7.0J x 16" Moon for tyre 215/60 R16 (CCR 800 005)

* Hub cover Rif for wheel 7.0J x 16", 4-piece set (CDB 800 001)

* Hub cover Cold for wheel 6.0J x 16", 4-piece set (CDB 630 001)

I think the last two are just wheel covers, but that surely implies that steel wheels in those sizes are also available.

Yes steel wheels and certainly the Rif covers are available here and yes I've run them on my 140 SE. At this moment in time Moon alloys are not available in the UK but I belive with the introduction of the GreenLine 1.6 TDI they will be at least on the dealer parts list at last.

Have harangued Skoda UK a number of times regard their dogmatic position on offering purchasers of low spec models the option to spec larger wheel/tyres sizes but not the other way round, if you go for a higher spec like the SE or Elegance.

Regard a comment on the cars build codes then yes my SE has the option code HW6 which = Tires 225/50 R17 94W, so it's factory built with settings and tolerances for this wheel/tyre size, hence Skodas reluctance to authorise or approve anything else.

However as the handbook clearly states that the vehicle can be fitted with smaller wheels for winter tyre use, then this is what I have done. Returning back to the factory set-up at the end of the winter period as is the case in many European countries. As my Yeti was not built for 215/60 R16 tyres (plus they cost more) I've followed the book and used 7J x16 rims with 205/55 R16 tyres as my winter option.

Currently pursuing whether I can factory option my new Monster Elegance spec with the 215/60 R16 tyres but I don't hold out much hope as SUK don't currently allow it, even though there is no technical reason preventing it that I'm aware of. I would have thought that it would be a case of SUK asking the factory to make what ever code it is for the 215/60 wheel/tyre available with the build code for an Elegance spec TDI 110 4x4. This might be a to simplistic view point but I continue to polity harangued them anyway :giggle:

Regards,

TP

Out of curiousity, what tyre sizes are mentioned on the label on the inside of the fuel flap?

Secondly, isn't it the case that any vehicle approved for use in other European countries is also approved for use on British roads? Meaning, specifically, that 16" wheels approved for use in other countries must also be approved for use in the UK?

Finally, looking at the Skoda UK approved Yeti accessories, it seems you can buy 7.0J x 16" Spectrum alloys to use with 215/60R16 tyres. I wouldn't be surprised if the Skoda parts database also included some 16" steel wheels as well - the easiest way to track them down might be to ask one of the European contributors to find the part number for different wheels in their country, and then ask a Skoda dealer how much those items would cost here ...

"I wouldn't be surprised if the Skoda parts database also included some 16" steel wheels as well"..............

A Local Skoda dealer quoted me yesterday as follows.......

(1) Steel wheels, 6J x 16H2 ET50 5/112 £61 inc Vat. These were shown on his computer as "Winter rims"

(2) Steel Wheels, 7J x 16H2 ET45 5/112 £45.79 inc Vat. These were not, evidently, shown as Winter Rims, but that in itself may not count for much and could just be an omission on the listing.

Both available the following day.

(1) Steel wheels, 6J x 16H2 ET50 5/112 £61 inc Vat. These were shown on his computer as "Winter rims"

I think the narrower wheels (with recommended narrower tyres) are to provide enough clearance to allow snow chains to be the fitted.

May I seek the attention of The Plumber.

You will have seen that I have phoned SUK Cust. Service from my earlier post.

I believe myself to be on the verge of ordering a 1.2 DSG "SE". Little bit of price comparison going on at the moment. I would be happy to add weight to your own personal endeavours re. tyre sizing on your new Elegance by requesting 16" wheels on my own new order. Is it simply SUK Cust. Service to whom you have been addressing your enquiries?

Well,

I have a steel spare for my vRS that is a 6.5J x 16" 5x112 et.50 with a 205/55/16 91V tyre on it - the same spec as the steel rims I have ordered for my winter tyres...

One of two things will happen when I have a flat

1) I can change the tyre and be insured it;s a full size spare so expect no restrictions,.

2) I'm not insured if I change the tyre unless I phone and notify my insurers...

Hmm interesting posiiton..

Simes

May I seek the attention of The Plumber.

You will have seen that I have phoned SUK Cust. Service from my earlier post.

I believe myself to be on the verge of ordering a 1.2 DSG "SE". Little bit of price comparison going on at the moment. I would be happy to add weight to your own personal endeavours re. tyre sizing on your new Elegance by requesting 16" wheels on my own new order. Is it simply SUK Cust. Service to whom you have been addressing your enquiries?

Hi oldstan,

I have asked James at Allams to look into the issue, although I genuinely believe his hands are very much tied by SUK.

I have also e-mailed SUK customer services again and reminded them that they promised to look into it last time I contacted them on the issue and further reminded them of how I nearly wrote PAT off at a month old due to the rubbish standard size wheels. I also asked them why European drivers can opt for 16" rims but we cannot on higher spec trim levels.

While I was at it I also gave them a broadside re the lack of information on the new RRP, despite probably three months to do something about it.

So a flood of complaints from the SMOC would be most excellent; be really nice if all three hundred people who voted on the engine & spec pole also sent a broadside to SUK re wheels or anything else they feel like venting off about even if it's re her in doors :giggle::rofl:

Regards as always,

TP

Edited by The Plumber

Hi oldstan,

I have asked James at Allams to look into the issue, although I genuinely believe his hands are very much tied by SUK.

I have also e-mailed SUK customer services again and reminded them that they promised to look into it last time I contacted them on the issue and further reminded them of how I nearly wrote PAT off at a month old due to the rubbish standard size wheels. I also asked them why European drivers can opt for 16" rims but we cannot on higher spec trim levels.

While I was at it I also gave them a broadside re the lack of information on the new RRP, despite probably three months to do something about it.

So a flood of complaints from the SMOC would be most excellent; be really nice if all three hundred people who voted on the engine & spec pole also sent a broadside to SUK re wheels or anything else they feel like venting off about even if it's re her in doors :giggle::rofl:

Regards as always,

TP

Done. Thanks. Rgds.

Hi all

I contacted both Skoda UK and Skoda Auto Cz about tyre sizes and got "refer to dealer" from both.

Have brought up my strong preference for 16 inch rims with the dealer (Allams) more than once, when ordering my SE and since, but I fear there is little they can do since Skoda UK seem imovable.

What gripes me is that the 1.2 is the lightest and least powerful of the range. Why on earth does it need the same wide tyres as 2L 170 bhp 4X4 (assuming they are justified on that)?

Like the idea of a mass approach to Skoda UK and HQ to get access to options available in Europe.

Currently complaining about the apparent change in the RRP, and its probably too late to change the rims on a week 47 build now, even if it became possible.

Fred

I don't think you're missing anything!

It was my dealer who mentioned the tyre sizes in the filler cap in an email as follows:

"If you look at the fuel filler cap on your car, it gives tyre pressure information for the present size of your tyres but it also gives the pressure for 215/60 R16, which is the correct size if you were to fit winter tyres. I’ve also been out to our demonstrator which also gives 2 different sizes for all engine sizes, so even if you had a 2.0TDi 170bhp 4x4 you have the pressure information for the 16†wheels. To me, and this is my opinion only , the implication is you can fit the smaller wheels as Skoda give the information for the 2 tyre sizes all the way through the range regardless of the engine size."

You make an excellent point about the latest SUK Acccessories brochure listing the 16" alloys - on page 2 it states "All products in this brochure have been approved by Skoda UK for fitment to right hand drive vehicles" Nowhere does it state that the 16" wheels are not suitable for SE and Elegance models - in other words if you were to go to a dealer and order them for your SE they would gladly sell them to you and fit them to your vehicle which is something SUK told me they couldn't approve and might give rise to warranty issues.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just taken out insurance via Skoda's 7 days free insurance and said that it was being collected shod with winter tyres and they said, as above, no problem no extra cost.

They also seem very competitive, not that I have a quote from anybody else yet, and when I get the car remapped, the extra will not be much so I may well end up going with them.

Mike

Mike it is worth shopping around, I too took out the free (Aviva) 7 day insurance that started yesterday - for a car I have yet to see emoticon-0106-crying.gif.

However Skoda's own insurance provided by Allianz was £60 cheaper for me, with a much lower excess and windscreen replacement cost, and going direct through Allianz cost an extra £16.

I will check, as always, but of prime concern is a company who won't rip me off when I tell them my CR140 DSG has in fact 185/190bhpemoticon-0136-giggle.gif.

I use the extra torque to improve economy, which as we know from Johann is only 26mpgemoticon-0106-crying.gif so If I can get an extra 3-5mpg I will be pleased.

It won't be done until my SM is run in though.

Mike