101 members have voted

1. 1. How many miles do you get on a tank

• Under 350
    • 350 - 400
    • 400 - 450
    • 450 - 500
    • 500 - 550
    • Over 550

Can you not find a nice guy in your area who can do this with VCDS ( Vagcom ) ??

I didn't realise that was possible!

It's going to Skoda again on Monday, will see what the outcome is.

If it the economy doesn't improve then it's going back to them until it does!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never used anything except fuel. 44k miles and averaging 47mpg on number 2 avergae consumption meter. Injection cleaner is a total waste of money on modern fuel systems. Try not using it and get a better cost per mile!

My normal avergae is around 550 per tank, but regularly over that. However my overall average is lower due to some high speed, use of low gears, high acceleration and braking runs. These are not everyday, but keep the running average down, form what, when on holiday for 3 weeks, got above 49mpg. It had just reset when I started the leave period. During that time I also got over 600 miles on a tank. So the main cause of lower tank duration and miles per gallon? Driving techniques. DO NOT WASTE money on any silly fuel additives, honestly you could simply give the money to charity and get the same consumption - and feel better!

All

Thanks for this info, am looking forward to arrival of the silver streak soon, despite some of your disappointments, i hope my tale can put this into perspective for you .

As some of you can see I currently have a Fiat 500 Diesel which I deliberately purchased for economy ( also Skoda didnt do another Fabia vRS diesel when my other came time for changing). Claims of 68 mpg i thought were a bit optimistic, but i set my expectations to 58-60 mpg when run in ( btw i was getting 52 in a remapped Fabia vRS).

Now here is the rub, this so called economical car is reluctant to return over 50 mpg unless you drive like a 75 yr old, change up at spot on 2000rpm & get to 5th asap and run at this gear only changing down when the car judders trying to accelerate. Oh & if you use the brakes as little as possible, do NSL except on motorway only doing 60mph, then you will get over 60mpg - I did this for a tank of fuel & never again, it is the worst & prob the most dangerous way to drive.

My normal driving style is returning 49mpg, Furby was returning 52mpg, & it looks like i can expect around 50 - 52 from the Octy when its run in which I will be very happy with, & knowing i will also have the torque to overtake ( i wont do this in the 500 unless i can see at least 1/2 mile clear ahead).

Next time you see these small diesels that are being claimed as economical ( 60+mpg ) you can be smug knowng that these claim are completely false unless the driver is over 70,& will never want to overtake - For me that style of driving removes any pleasure from it.

Keep up the good work posing your mpg emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Skoda looked at the car today and apparently the DPF needs regenerating as there's a 'large ash mass'.

This strikes me as odd as the car does 60 miles a day on the motorway at exactly the right kind of speed to regenerate.

Last week the DPF light came on but after a 50 mile round trip was still on so it seems there is some kind of problem, the light went off overnight but it seems that a regen never happened.

Any advice/tips welcome.

I had similar issue, turned out to be exhaust pressure sensor, replaced under warranty

I had similar issue, turned out to be exhaust pressure sensor, replaced under warranty

Thanks.

The car was put on the diagnostic computer last week and no faults were found.

Would a faulty sensor throw a fault code or not?

I reckon the 550 milers are either telling porkies or drive everywhere at a constant 56mph. I have tried driving as economically as possible - enough to make me question my sanity and I simply could not get any better than 51mpg on the motorway. As soon as I even thought about changing lanes etc it drops to 46 ish.

Car has been checked twice and no fault found. Basically the fule economy of the CR is ****e compared to other diesels. Yeah the car is quite heavy but its not a Volvo so that doesn't account for it in my book.

I used to see 55+ from a re-mapped Punto HGT and my father sees 60+ from a re-mapped Panda Sporting 1.3 Mutijet.

Edited by wardth

Panda? You're comparing MPG figures with a Panda?

IMO and TBH if normal driving doesn't yield 47-50 in a CR and you are really THAT bothered.. why are you driving a vRS :rofl:

Been driving with a sensible right foot for the past 3 weeks on my 21 mile each way commute to work to see if i could hit the magical 600 miles to a tank. Onto the main Aberdeen to Peterhead road and into cruise at approx 60 miles an hour. 428 mile for 40 litres of diesel or 48 miles to the gallon approx when I filled up today Think 600 miles is achievable.

Panda? You're comparing MPG figures with a Panda?

Nope I wasn't comparing MPG figures just providing some info. I reckon that s a great figure!

IMO and TBH if normal driving doesn't yield 47-50 in a CR and you are really THAT bothered.. why are you driving a vRS emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Hang on a minute! I have every right to expect 50+ from a state of the art modern diesel engine in nromal driving. Other vehicles in use in my company return higher figures regulalry and I'm often on the receiving end of wide eyed suprise when I tell people what I'm getting.

I reckon the CR is below par economy wise.

Edited by wardth

wardth, there is either something wrong with your car, you carry heavy loads, or a full car of people, or your driving style is the problem. On motorway journeys, at a constant 70 I would expect to see 56, or so. I rarely get less than 50 on the way to work, without using the right foot heavily, but not at 56mph at all. If I do drive at that speed then 60mpg is easily achieved. I am not being judgemental but try using quicker gear changes, not going much (if at all) above 2000rpm and get into 6th ASAP. I did do a SAFED (safe and efficient driving) mini-course and was able to get 60mpg on a normal run, with little town driving mainly dual carriageway admittedly and this showed me the importnace of fewer gear changes and watching that right foot.

I would agree with the wide eyed surprise of your colleagues, the VRS CR should give you 50+ in normal driving, mine does and has never failed to do so.

Usually get about 500ish miles per tank, varies depending on whether I do a few long runs in it. Have had 610 displaying as distance to empty on occasions on the maxidot. Calculated average over the last 2700 miles is 44.2mpg (actual, rather than off the trip), best I have managed recently is 430 miles on 40 litres of diesel (48mpg according to my ipod app). I'm pretty happy with that, given the performance on offer when I put my foot down :D

People's driving styles, routes, car occupancy and load carrying all differ greatly, to mention but a few issues. Not to mention time since last service, oil age and condition, tyre pressures...

On a tank of mixed and varied driving, I usually get somewhere around 500 miles before filling up. With the type of routes I drive and my driving style I'm more than happy with that, considering the fact the Octy is fairly large and heavy, and offers pretty decent everyday performance.

It's horses for courses though - each individual will have different expectations about fuel economy. Always going to be the way of it really :yes:

Cheers,

Steve

Thanks.

The car was put on the diagnostic computer last week and no faults were found.

Would a faulty sensor throw a fault code or not?

Sorry, missed this one.

Basically, if a sensor is not responding in an expected manner to the part of the ECU that's responsible for it, then yes - it would be logged as a fault, with an appropriate error code alongside.

Steve

Well, another 350 miles done and the range remaining is down to 15 miles.

Car going back to Skoda on Tuesday as this is just not on.

The problem is that no fault codes are logged so they don't seem to be interested in dong anything.

I get a long term average on the trip computer of 42 mpg - but around home it is more like 38 mpg (its hilly in my part of yorkshire!). Thats on a PDand I tend to be heavy footed - I would expect the CR to do more.

I got 42 mpg around europe this summer - fully loaded and did 3500 mliles. I dont think 42 mpg average is bad for the performance, but your 35 seems low.

The best I have got is 51mpg on a trip to Norwich, where its flat and lots of speed cameras on the road from the A1!

Look at the brochures - it seems the BMW diesels are more economical then the VW diesels on the standard basis - so I am not surprised its that way in reality.

The BMW units aren't really a fair comparison really, as the EfficientDynamics approach includes a lot more stuff than just an efficient diesel unit, such as regenerative braking and full start/stop systems.

Lou, you are getting high 40s or 50s on the run (MFD reading?)in which case you should get 500+ easily on the tank. Do you refill when the guage is on the red, or when the MFD says to refuel? And how much do you put in when you are at 400 miles?

Lou, you are getting high 40s or 50s on the run (MFD reading?)in which case you should get 500+ easily on the tank. Do you refill when the guage is on the red, or when the MFD says to refuel? And how much do you put in when you are at 400 miles?

Lately I've been running the car to 0 miles range remaining.

At that point I put in between 50 and 55L, last time I filled I got 55.9L in, so I'm pretty sure there wasn't much left in!

Lately I've been running the car to 0 miles range remaining.

At that point I put in between 50 and 55L, last time I filled I got 55.9L in, so I'm pretty sure there wasn't much left in!

Took the car in today and, as expected, they've called and said they can't find a fault.

However I did a printout explaining how many miles I've driven and the fuel used and they've accepted that 32MPG from a CR VRS is a problem :)

I suppose it's a question of waiting now, hopefully not too long.

Just did a 413 mile trip 360 miles of this were on the M5. Full tank to tank worked out at 41.67 mpg. Computer said 44.7 mpg

I kept a steady 80 MPH on the sat nav . Not sure whether these are good results or not really.

My car was at the dealer for 2 days this week for investigation and whilst they couldn't find any obvious fault they have, apparently, cleaned the EGR.

I've been asked to keep an eye on the economy and keep them informed, I can't say I'm hopeful it's fixed.

Just did a 413 mile trip 360 miles of this were on the M5. Full tank to tank worked out at 41.67 mpg. Computer said 44.7 mpg

I kept a steady 80 MPH on the sat nav . Not sure whether these are good results or not really.

Above 70mph then I'd be expecting not so great economy

I've been getting 50mpg out of my CR on this tank full - at the moment just done 300 miles bang on half a tank.

That's cruising at 70mph...

Above 70mph then I'd be expecting not so great economy

I've been getting 50mpg out of my CR on this tank full - at the moment just done 300 miles bang on half a tank.

That's cruising at 70mph...

So 42 MPG at 80 mph average is probably about right.