Suggest a car for the in-laws

beedie

My new inlaws are in the market for a new car and i've been asked to help them with the search.

They're coming from a Jag X type. 2.5 Auto 4x4.

They have 4 wheel drive as they didn't like slipping about in their old 5 series

Criteria are

Needs to be new (they like warrantys)

Automatic

Large enough for 18st father in-law (whose is 80 so needs to be accesible too)

needs a bit of poke (used to 200bhp)

don't want £400 road tax

budget up to £35000 but i know a decent car can be had for a lot less. Although it needs a bit of stature.

They also keep mentioning the word "downsize" (don't need a car almost 5m long. MIT's parking leave a bit to be desired)

I'm going to have a job on my hands but i'm going to put them in a POLO and see what they think, then plan my next attack, maybe a peugeot 3008 and see just how brand snobby they are...

So please make some suggestions as this list is nothing I look for in a car myself.

Cheers

Not obvious - but who's driving/going to be piloting said unguided missile .

Edited by VWD

Audi A3 quattro with 2.0TFSI engine and S-Tronic? Not a proper automatic as such, but should tick every other box whilst saving about £10k off the budget.

I am/was well over 17st and always felt I had to climb in out of the mk 5 and mk 6 Golf. I can manage it at 30 but don't fancy it at 80. Is the A3 any better in this respect? Still snug and low down?

My fist thought was Yeti.

Or how about a 4x4 Juke? :giggle:

What about an Audi Allroad - either the A4 or the A6 version. They both ride higher than standard which should make getting in and out easier.

Cheers for all the suggestions thus far. (Obvious and not so obvious)

Spoke to the mother in law today about it and she likes the idea of something fairly level for getting in and out of.

X type too low

CRV too high (and its not a high 4x4!!)

She also mentioned the Juke!! I've never seen one in flesh so may have to pay a visit to the nissan dealer to see if its just a laugh or what.

I think A6, Superb, and Passats are probably too big for what they need but are defo an option if i cant persuade them to go small.

C30 is probably too low but got me to thinking about volvos. how are the xc60?

I did mention a yeti but she looked more confused than anything.

think her driving a hairy ibominal snowman might be a step too far. but could take her to the garage and not tell her what its called just sit them in it...

Cheers for the guidance, will be a busy weekend.

Been to see the nissan range to day and the juke is useless as a car or a 4x4.

just not practical to anyone over 5 foot tall and people under that would need a ladder to get into it.

was kinda taken by the quashqui