Superb Estate has arrived!

badbaz

Took delivery of my 170 DSG Elegance yesterday B)

16e2e464.jpg

That's the only picture I've taken :S

First impressions are good. Looks great in the flesh, stunning in the brilliant sunshine we had yesterday! My only gripe is that it sits way too high, particularly the rear.

Inside - lovely finish - strange to have the light headcloth after the VRS. Tons of room, the rear is just incredible and onto the toys. . . .

Iphone 3GS paired without a problem and phonebook too. Bluetooth music streaming again no bother. Voice activated dialling of numbers - cool as fu... :p

Mirrors are ginormous (sp?) :D - my Scania's are smaller!!!!! Set up N/S dipping for reverse although not happy that they won't be heated in this position (am I right?)

Seats look and feel good - MMMMMM, heated B) - Drivers one doesn't go low enough for my liking though :(

Finally time to drive it - coming from a 58 DSG VRS Octavia estate - steering isn't as 'nice' although it may be adequate when I'm adjusted to it. The gear change is much much better than my VRS. Engine noise about equal, at slow speeds at least! Brakes don't inspire much confidence - again I'll need more time to adapt. Doesn't feel big on the road and is nice to drive - enough power etc - gearbox is still learning and so the gear changes ( on the up) are a bit erratic at the moment.

Most outstanding feature now becomes apparent - the headlamps! HOLLLLLEEEEEE FFFUUUUUU*******KKKKKK B) B)

I said I'd be impressed if they were better than the Octavia and they are - I'd say at least twice as good! The movement with the corners just gives that wee bit better light spread, could also see the beam changing shape in relation to speed - magic. And the opening sequence - it's worth the money for that alone :rofl: AND then - yes there is more - the main beam - what can I say - it's like a rally car and it would need at least six lamps to match the Superb - they are as is stamped on them - Superb headlights.

Other things so far, the boot is enormous, the doors open to allow great access, the lights home function is cool, as is the fog light turning thingamyjig. The stereo is perfectly fine. There has been much slagging of the standard system - it's no Bose but it is more than good enough. Sat nav isn't Tom Tom but it worked fine for me with quick recalculation.

There's so much to learn and the car is fantastic - incredible even. The gripes are minor ones and won't affect the experience too much.

What do I need to learn about it now? Lots I bet!

Updates to follow ;)

Edited by badbaz

Come on stop beating around the bush ......... do you like it or not? :giggle:

I have to agree re the mirrors, the first thing I thought when I drove the demo was "they are frikkin giwangus!!"

Eibach do some springs to drop it a bit ... go on you know you want to!

I got mine yesterday. It's a wee bit wet and dirty after some serious driving in all kinds of roads and hills. But you are so right....the lights are fan bloody tanstic. Enjoy your car! emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Come on stop beating around the bush ......... do you like it or not? :giggle:

I have to agree re the mirrors, the first thing I thought when I drove the demo was "they are frikkin giwangus!!"

Eibach do some springs to drop it a bit ... go on you know you want to!

Oh, I like it - a lot :)

Had a lot on yesterday and had to wait till late last night for another quick poke around.

Set the memory seats/mirrors to the keys. Like that a lot - only good feature from a previous 3 series B)

Had a wee play in the maxidot menu - like the bit from the book about the windows closing if it rains, or in any event in 12 hours - bloody car's too smart for it's own good.

I thought I'd turned off the annoying beep when locking/unlocking but it's still on :wonder:

Mats, boot mat and flaps all arrived this morning. Car now dropped off at my 'detailers' - he's going to give it the once over and protect me as best he can for the bulk of the winter.

More photos to come after that - then some driving to get a feel for it.

I still feel more 'connected' when I sit in the Octy though, the height of the Superb seat is more throne like :p

One other thing - thought I'd copy an audio CD to my hard drive but it seems that you can only copy MP3 CDs or from the SD card. Anyone confirm? What size SD can you use? Oh, does anyone know if you can play copy DVDs? A mate was asking :rofl:

Re the reference to Eibach springs, any more info, link, price, availability?

Iphone 3GS paired without a problem and phonebook too. Bluetooth music streaming again no bother. Voice activated dialling of numbers - cool as fu... :p

I tried the Bluetooth streaming on mine at the weekend - it worked okay for 3 songs and then the sound stopped (and the Maxidot menu froze). I maybe overloaded the thing by using it as a phone whilst playing music? Have you found no problems with music streaming whilst having your iPhone also connected as a phone? Just wondering what caused my freezing problem. Thank you.

Congratulations on your new toy!

I tried the Bluetooth streaming on mine at the weekend - it worked okay for 3 songs and then the sound stopped (and the Maxidot menu froze). I maybe overloaded the thing by using it as a phone whilst playing music? Have you found no problems with music streaming whilst having your iPhone also connected as a phone? Just wondering what caused my freezing problem. Thank you.

Congratulations on your new toy!

It wasn't completely pain free - the Columbus displayed a message in a grey box (can't remember what it said now) for a bit even though the music was streaming.

Since then it seems to be fine although it switches to bluetooth before I start to play music - I think.

Need more time. The phone side of things is perfect - so far :p

The part No. is E10-79-007-01-22, a quick search brings these up:

£171.30 from Venom Motorsport

£175.65 JKM (site sponsor)

Here is the original one I saw (not a sponsor at all!!)

£126 (€142) Milotec plus postage - but note:

Shipping & Returns

Method of payment

For deliveries abroad Germany we can only accept prepayment with a 2% discount. Based on your order you will receive an invoice when the ordered products are ready for delivery. Payment shall be made only after reception of the invoice, to our account shown on the invoice. Cheques are not accepted. All prices are ex works in accordance with the respectively current Milotec price list, plus dispatch costs and bank charges (if non-EU member state or non-Euro payment).

Dispatch costs

The deliveries are made by a parcel service commissioned by Milotec. The dispatch costs depend on the weight and volume of the parcels and must be ascertained beforehand. Deliveries that exceed the limits for bulk goods on request only.

Nice one, I like the colour!

I've been playing with mine (delivered last Friday!) and I agree with most of your comments. BEWARE copying .mp4 sound files from a (maximum 32 GB) SD card- They play fine on your computer, and you may not realise that you have ripped in .mp4, but Columbus won't play .mp4. It will spend hours downloading the files, mind, but when you open them all you get is a gray box! I now have 500-odd albums to convert to .mp3...

DSG grearbox- I'm most impressed, although I have been driving fairly gingerly fo the moment due to the novelty of driving an automatic, the size of the car compared to my last couple of cars, and the dealer insisting that NO, modern engines are NOT pre run-in, and I am to do exactly what it says in the manual for the first few thousand Kms re. RPM and so forth. OK, I'll play along, but taking slow corners can be frustrating given the reluctance to change down, and my reluctance to prod the pedal too hard at the mo'...

Enjoy your new wheels!

Maxbert

Edit: High at the back? How so? Mine... nope, I can't see that???

Edited by Maxbert

Nice.

Thanks - It has impressed all who have seen it so far.

Here's some pics from earlier once it had been detailed (apologies as it's iPhone I'm afraid)

656bf3dd.jpg

7a5167f4.jpg

See the height issue of the rear?

f113d404.jpg

df426493.jpg

c4b40392.jpg

fce60164.jpg

c6bb2160.jpg

Also got the rubber mats in the car and the boot - mudflaps to fit tomorrow and then it'll be up on the ramp to see what is going on with these pesky rear springs!!!!!! :wonder:

Fitted front and rear flaps today. Easy up on the ramp, nice fit but a little small!

5faead0a.jpg

Also fitted my Thule roof bars taken from my Octy. Superb's a couple of inches wider but there was enough in them to fit.

66e8bcc8.jpg

Not too chuffed to find no wheel key in the boot. Car has no spare as expected but the wheel key is missing or don't they supply one?

Not too chuffed to find no wheel key in the boot. Car has no spare as expected but the wheel key is missing or don't they supply one?

Yeah it still should have had one. Should be in the polystyrene holder. It would have been there at PDi for them to torque the wheels.

Yeah it still should have had one. Should be in the polystyrene holder. It would have been there at PDi for them to torque the wheels.

cheers, thought it should be, compressor had been lifted out and not put back correctly so figured it had been pinched:(

Just another thought - should there be a jack when there is no spare?

This was discussed on the Yeti forum recently; apparently Skoda vehicles without spare wheels are not supplied with jacks and braces. These means, as supplied, there is no way to get a damaged wheel off your car without the help of Skoda Assist.

In contrast my Honda has no spare wheel, but a jack and brace are still supplied in addition to the compressor and useless tube of tyre repair gunk. I used this when a bolt went through the tread of a tyre and it deflated while the car was sat in the car park at work. At least I could get the wheel off and was able to transport the wheel in colleagues car to be repaired.

Best regards

David

Edited by cookdn