Winter tyre friendly insurance companies

Gizmo

There is now a list made by the ABI:

Winter Tyres - The Motor Insurance Commitment

With the amount of various threads about regarding winter tyres I was unsure whether to start this, however I do think it will be a very useful list of insurance companies who do not consider winter tyres to be a modification and therefore carry any excess.

All of my requests were based on using genuine VAG supplied wheels with Skoda recommended winter tyre size.

Please copy and paste the following lists and add your experience to them.

Insurance companies that do not charge for changing to winter tyres / Do they require notifying of the change?

1. Adrian Flux (30.10.2012)

“In regards to the tyres that you wish to fit to the vehicle during the winter months, this shall not incur an increase to the premium.” / No notification required

2. SKY Insurance (Briskoda sponsors)

No Problems Post #2 / ?

3. Bell (30.10.2012)

No notification required

4. Allianz (Škoda Insurance)(30.10.2012)

No notification required

5. Aviva (30.10.2012)

No notification required

6. More Than (1.11.2010) Require notifying when they go on and come off.

Changing to manufacturer approved wheels of the same or smaller size (steel or alloy) does not count as a modification. Ditto for winter tyres. Required notification but no admin fee.

7. LV (30.10.2012)

No notification required

8. Swiftcover (2.12.2010)

YES notification is required

We would ask that you ask the manufacturer of the car if you can add Winter Tyres on VAG OEM spec wheels, if that is visible then we would cover the car with the change of wheels and there would be no change in premium in doing this.

9. NFU (30.10.2012)

No notification required

10. Privilege Insurance (Likely all Direct Line companies) (5.12.10) Require notifying when they go on and come off.

Changing from stock 18" 225/40 to Audi 16" 205/55 did not incur a charge.

11 Tesco (24.11.2010) USED TO CHARGE

Tesco (30.10.2012)

No notification required - Providing that the winter tyres/wheels are no larger than the original tyres/wheels

12 Chris Knott (25.2.2013)

Require notifying when they go on and come off.

Full ABI list:

Insurer

Do customers need to inform the insurer when fitting winter tyres to their cars?

Does the fitting of winter tyres affect the amount of cover provided to customers?

Contact details

1st Central Insurance

No

No

ABC Insurance

No

No

Admiral

No

No

Adrian Flux

No

No

Advantage Insurance Company Limited (Gibraltar)

No

No

Age UK

No

No

Ageas Insurance Ltd

No

No

Aioi Nissay Dowa Insurance

No

No

Allianz

No

No

Allianz (Northern Ireland)

No

No

Allianz Your Cover

No

No

Aviva Insurance Ltd

No

No

AXA

Yes

No

As per policy documentation (varies by distribution channel)

Bell

No

No

Chaucer Direct

No

No

Chaucer Insurance

No

No

Churchill

Yes, via telephone

None outside of general market exceptions relating to keeping the vehicle roadworthy etc.

0845 603 3551

Citroen

Yes, via telephone

None outside of general market exceptions relating to keeping the vehicle roadworthy etc.

0870 0242 730/ 0870 125 6616

Co-operative Insurance Car Insurance

No

No, provided the winter tyres/wheels fitted are of no greater size value than the tyres/wheels being replaced

Co-operative Insurance Eco Insurance

No

No, provided the winter tyres/wheels fitted are of no greater size value than the tyres/wheels being replaced

Co-operative Insurance Young Driver Insurance

No

Cornish Mutual

No

No

Diamond

No

No

Direct Line

Yes, via telephone Briskoda members actual experience is they DO charge extra.

0845 246 8706/ 0845 246 8811

eCar

Yes, by phone or email

No

[email protected]

Echoice

No

No

Egg

Yes, via telephone

0870 024 0095/ 0870 024 0097

Elephant

No

No

Equity Red Star

No

No

Esure Car Insurance

No - unless the customer has or is fitting alloy wheels

No

Phone: 0845 603 7874

First Alternative Car Insurance

No

Phone: 0845 607 0417

General Motors (Vauxhall & Chevrolet)

No

No

GoodGirl

No

No change to cover provided

Groupama Insurances

No - unless the dimensions of the tyres fitted are contrary to manufacturer specifications i.e. wider

No

Highway Insurance

No

No

Hiscox Insurance Company

No

No

Insure2Drive

No

Lexus Motor Insurance

No

No

LV =

No

No

Markerstudy

No

No

Mint/MBNA

Yes, via telephone

0870 024 0138

MORE TH>N

No

No

Natwest

Yes, via telephone

0800 051 0289/ 0800 051 5405

NFU Mutual

No

No

Octagon Insurance Company Limited

Yes, by phone

No

Customer services, 0844 561 4615

Peugeot

Yes, via telephone

0870 0240 807/ 0870 024 1107

Premier Insurance

No

No

Provident

Yes

No

Privilege

Yes, via telephone

0800 061 6990/ 0800 051 6990

Prudential

Yes, via telephone

0800 300 300/ 0845 605 9260

QBE

No

No

RBS

Yes, via telephone

0800 158 2493/ 0845 246 0453

Royal London

Yes, via telephone

0800 032 9455

RSA

No

No

Sabre Insurance Co Ltd

No

Sainsburys Car Insurance

No

Phone: 0845 608 6034

Service Underwriting

No

No

Shearwater Insurance

No

No

Sheilas' Wheels Car Insurance

No

Phone: 0845 604 3550

Swiftcover

Yes

No

As per policy documentation (varies by distribution channel)

Tesco Underwriting Limited

No – Providing that the winter tyres/wheels are no larger than the original tyres/wheels

No – Providing that the winter tyres/wheels are no larger than the original tyres/wheels.

If customers wish to contact Tesco Car Insurance they can call Customer Service on 0845 673 0000

Toyota Motor Insurance

No

Edited by Gizmo68

Great to hear :thumbup:

Insurance companies that do not require notification as they do not see it as a modification:

1/ Adrian Flux

(26.10.2010)

"In regards to the tyres that you wish to fit to the vehicle during the winter months, this shall not incur an increase to the premium."

2/ SKY Insurance (Briskoda sponsors)

3/

Insurance companies who regard winter tyres as a modification:

1/

2/

Insurance companies who couldn't be bothered to reply to my questions:

1/ Skoda [email protected]

Your message

To: customersatisfaction-insurewithskoda

Subject: Insurance questions

Sent: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 15:21:24 +0100

was deleted without being read on Fri, 15 Oct 2010 14:41:45

2/

• Like 1

Bell didn't care. My winter wheels are OEM alloys exactly the same as the ones one the car from new, and tyres are the same size as OE. They didn't care about speed rating.

UPDATED

Please copy and paste the following 3 lists and add your experience to them.

Insurance companies that do not require notification as they do not see it as a modification:

1/ Adrian Flux

(26.10.2010)

"In regards to the tyres that you wish to fit to the vehicle during the winter months, this shall not incur an increase to the premium."

2/SKY Insurance (Briskoda sponsors)

3/ Bell

4/ Allianz (Skoda Insurance)

(1.11.2010)

"I have checked all the details out for the winter wheels and because the rolling radius isn't affected this wouldn't affect the price of the insurance. We would just need to be informed when the wheels were being swapped over."

"We can confirm there will not be any admin fee charges for when you inform us of the change of wheels."

Insurance companies who regard winter tyres as a modification:

1/

2/

IAM Surety which is a broker didnt see a problem and neither did R&SA who I am insured with. Just took all the details and confirmed they were skoda approved/compatible.

Just off the phone to Aviva (formerly Norwich Union) They do NOT view putting OEM Steel wheels with winter tyres as a modification, nor do I need to inform them at wheel changeover time.

If it was non-OEM Alloys, they would take the view that these increase the value/risk to the vehicle, which might load the premiums.

Bell is part of the Admiral group so does that mean all the Admiral brands adopt the same policy - what about the £17.50 admin charge - anyone any experiences......? Admiral brands from memory include; Bell Direct, Admiral, Sheila's Wheels, Elephant and probably a few others too.............

I've rejigged the categories slightly as it wasn't clear whether people needed to notify their insurers.

Insurance companies that do not charge for changing to winter tyres

1. Adrian Flux (26.10.2010)

3. Bell

4. Allianz (Briskoda sponsors) (1.11.2010)

"I have checked all the details out for the winter wheels and because the rolling radius isn't affected this wouldn't affect the price of the insurance. We would just need to be informed when the wheels were being swapped over."

"We can confirm there will not be any admin fee charges for when you inform us of the change of wheels."

5. Aviva (1.11.2010)

"Just off the phone to Aviva (formerly Norwich Union) They do NOT view putting OEM Steel wheels with winter tyres as a modification, nor do I need to inform them at wheel changeover time."

6. More Than (1.11.2010)

Changing to manufacturer approved wheels of the same or smaller size (steel or alloy) does not count as a modification. Ditto for winter tyres. Required notification but no admin fee.

Insurance companies that charge an admin fee for changing to winter tyres

Insurance companies that see it as a modification and charge extra

Bell is part of the Admiral group so does that mean all the Admiral brands adopt the same policy - what about the £17.50 admin charge - anyone any experiences......? Admiral brands from memory include; Bell Direct, Admiral, Sheila's Wheels, Elephant and probably a few others too.............

Bell in my case just sent me an email saying cover was OK. Bear in mind I have OEM alloys though.

Some more to add to this one folks...

I had a conversation with equity direct (First Direct Car Insurance) who after some questions and answers - moved away from their initial position of charging a policy admin fee for each change have agreed that I can fit winter tyres at no charge requiring me to inform them when they are put on and taken off.

I have asked for something in writing and expect it in the next few days. UPDATE - Letter in my mitts

Now to get my tyres - I know I'm late but only had the car a week.

Simes.

Edited by Simes

And another one added to the list that don't charge.

3. Bell

5. Aviva (1.11.2010)

"Just off the phone to Aviva (formerly Norwich Union) They do NOT view putting OEM Steel wheels with winter tyres as a modification, nor do I need to inform them at wheel changeover time."

6. More Than (1.11.2010)

7. LV (11.11.2010)

Changing to Skoda steel wheels (same size) with winter tyres does not incur a charge. Need to inform the company when the wheels are swapped over and back.

With Elephant last winter; after a prolonged conversation with an overseas call centre who had no idea about winter never mind winter tyres, they eventually agreed it wasn't a modification, as I was following manufactures handbook guidelines and using OEM steel wheels. So the made a note of my call and left it at that.

Regards,

TP

• 2 weeks later...

Received a poorly worded reply from Swiftcover -

Thank you for your e-mail.

We would ask that you ask the manufacturer of the car if you can add Winter Tyres on VAG OEM spec wheels, if that is visible then we would cover the car with the change of wheels and there would be no change in premium in doing this.

I am taking that as a no premium hike or amendmant charge so I guess add them to the friendly list

( and you know which rims these are Gizmo ;) )

Privilege Insurance (underwritten by Direct Line Insurance plc) do class putting winter tyres on as a modification and they do need notification of the winter tyres being put on and taken off although there was no admin charge for the policy change or a change in premium.

No Problems Post #2

3. Bell

4. Allianz (Skoda Insurance)(1.11.2010) Require notifying when they go on and come off.

5. Aviva (1.11.2010)

6. More Than (1.11.2010) Require notifying when they go on and come off.

7. LV (11.11.2010) Require notifying when they go on and come off.

Changing to Skoda steel wheels (same size) with winter tyres does not incur a charge.

8. Swiftcover (2.12.10)

9. NFU (2.12.10)

10. Privilege Insurance (Likely all Direct Line companies) (5.12.10) Require notifying when they go on and come off.

Changing from stock 18" 225/40 to Audi 16" 205/55 did not incur a charge.

1/ Tesco (24.11.2010)

1/ Tesco (24.11.2010)

2/

• 1 month later...

I've rejigged the categories slightly as it wasn't clear whether people needed to notify their insurers.

3. Bell

5. Aviva (1.11.2010)

6. More Than (1.11.2010)

The AA Insurance don't charge for WT's nor do they need to be told when you swap them over and nor do they charge an Admin fee when you change registration numbers over. They told me, today, they see Winter Tyres as a safety enhancement hence them not penalising.

Edited by oldstan

• 5 months later...

Admiral [10-08-11]

Phone them just now- WT on steel wheels are not considered a modification, do not incur any fees.

They do not need to be notified when tyres change but they said they put a note on my policy that says may be fitted with WT.

The AA Insurance don't charge for WT's nor do they need to be told when you swap them over and nor do they charge an Admin fee when you change registration numbers over. They told me, today, they see Winter Tyres as a safety enhancement hence them not penalising.

Hi, this is my first time on briskoda

Have a 2009 skoda scout octavia as a temporary measure with a new scout on order

Currently with Aviva

Spoke to them today on phone

Changing Tyres over not a problem

Altering to smaller 16 inch rims (got some audi alloys off ebay) will incur a fee of 30 pounds approx

This would apply if steel as well

Reason being it will affect handling but so would driving on ice on summer Tyres!

Rang the coop for their policy on this and they don't see going to a smaller rim as a problem so will be no doubt changing over to them later on this year when my policy runs out

Ps impressed with the scout for the 3 weeks I have had it

Been in touch with Bell.

I asked if I changed to winter wheels and tyres that match manufacturers recommended specification do i need to tell them, incur an admin fee or is it disallowed.

Response below:

Issued by: Bell Customer Services

Email: [email protected]

Policy Number: BL CAR xxxxxxx

Date: 19/08/11

All prices quoted are in pounds sterling.

Dear Mr Foo

Thank you for contacting us about your policy, registration xxxxxxx.

In response to your recent E-mail, I can confirm that we do not need to

be notified when you change your tyres. This does not come under our

modifications criteria.

If you have any further questions about your policy, our representatives are

always happy to help. You can call them on the telephone number above

between 8am and 10pm weekdays, 9am and 5pm Saturdays and 10am and 4pm

Sundays.

Yours sincerely

Janiene Wigley

Customer Services