Direct Line Insurance - "OE winter wheels are a modification and will cost more"

Yearofthegoat

Just got off the phone to Direct Line and they won't continue to provide insurance to a Skoda Superb Mark II fitted with Skoda supplied winter wheel kit (16" steel wheels instead of 18" Themistos) unless I pay £77 more.

If you don't tell them about the 'modification' and it is found during an accident claim, they will at that point generate a premium, which must be paid for the claim to go ahead.

I thought this kind of thing had been stopped by the ABI - which is where I'm headed next. Very very disappointing.

Sadly, the ABI promise is only about tyres, not wheels. It should encompass the whole setup, though. Still, make a complaint as they may extend it with enough complaints. When its renewal time, vote with your feet and make sure you ask about it up front with the new insurer and that Direct Line know why you are leaving.

Absolutely. Might send Bickerton Skoda a line as well to let them know. They trade as skodaparts.com and sell a winter wheel kit consisting of these steels and (when I enquired, Kumho) winter tyres.

It's barmy that the insurers are getting less risk and a much less attractive-looking car, but it would cost me more money.

Did just that - dug my heels in, and after putting in a formal complaint, they agreed to waive the increase in the policy on this occasion. Which is good news for now but it still looks like I'll need to find a winter wheel friendly insurer. And I'll still contact the ABI as well, I think they need to know.

as I said in the ABI thread, I reckon they're trying to be a bit clever, making their conditions vague.

I agree that the ABI need to know and hopefully get Direct Line to amend their conditions.

I think they frequently have a 'if the customer wants to change anything, try squeezing them for money' instruction on their flowchart. A few times I've just told them I'm not paying to change this or that and they kindly agree to 'waive the charge this time'.

Good job and yep, let them know.

Especially when people are using VAG kit. One of the winter wheels will be the spare for the summer (rotated each month), but does this mean I need to notify a modification if I use the spare?

I was told that if I change the wheel from the "one that every Skoda Superb Elegance is built with", it's a modification. I got mine nearly new - how on earth do I know if the Themistos were an option (I think they were the default actually, but...)?

change insurers, my insurers said (allianz) that as long as the tyres are approved by skoda, no increase in premium (I asked, because I fitted 205/45/17 winters on original alloys, when the standard size is 205/40/17) and they were supplied and fitted by skoda......

Exactly that.

Their view is that each trim level is a separate model, so if you fit wheels that are standard on a different trim level, that's classed as a modification. Also classed as a modification is fitting a Skoda OE steel wheel, specifically for that Skoda model, supplied by a Skoda dealership.

Now I don't have a problem with them charging more for modifications per se, but 25% more? And for something which makes the car safer and less desirable to be stolen? Come on, Direct Line, pull the other one.

I posted this thread because I reckon there'll be a fair number of people who also switch wheels in the winter (not just tyres), who would find this useful.

Perhaps a thread with a list of winter wheel friendly insurance companies would be handy?

And yes, I won't be using Direct Line in future.

Edited by Yearofthegoat

I use Direct Line only for insuring standard things and only in the UK. Then they work out reasonably well and the service is OK.

But for anything out of ordinary, e.g. car going to Europe a lot, any modification at all, even one that does not change car's looks/performance, they always try to charge you extra. Like your steelies - why would replacing steelies cost the insurer more, and do they really make the car look more atractive to thieves?

When I bought Mk1 Superb in 2006, Direct Line tried to make me pay £30+ every time the car went abroad. Quickly changed to Norwich Union/Aviva that allow up to 6 months abroad (I think in up to 3 months trips) for a token premium, and you do not have to phone them every time you go abroad either.

I still use DL for home insurance, though. Their bicycle cover was also one of better ones in the UK when I used it 10+ years ago.

Edited by dieselV6

I'm not 'slagging' Direct Line, but their policy on winter wheels seems to be out of line with the rest of the market and the ABI's stance on winter wheels & tyres - i.e. that they're safer and shouldn't incur a higher premium. As a customer I can vote with my wallet.

To be fair, they were okay with claims - our 2 month old Audi A4 was rear-ended on an M25 entry slip, while we were stationary with hazards on in broad daylight - woman said she didn't see us! Anyway, Direct Line were okay through the claims process but they didn't like my insisting on getting the repairs done by Audi.

I sent something to the ABI, will post back what they say (if anything).

Also found out that More Than count winter wheels as a modification. That's as far as I got before their quote system fell over, so I don't know if that means they charge more or just list it as a modification.

Edited by Yearofthegoat

Just spoken to SWMBO who works for the Direct Line Group. The extra cost will be for the wheels as apposed to the tyres.

Both cars currently wearing winter tyres. One is fitted with main dealer supplied winter tyres and steel wheels, the other is fitted with OEM Skoda alloys and winter tyres.

Directline cover both cars and made no additional charge when I informed them I planned to fit winter tyres this year. The first person I spoke too thought they might represent a modification, but after checking with a supervisor - no charge :rofl:

It does sometimes seem to depend on the person who answers the phone. I recently changed from a '06 Octavia vRS to a 10 plate one. Basically the same car, just newer. Phoned Direct Line about insurance, the bloke told me it would be another £27 including a £15.90 admin fee. Told him I'd ring back once I'd sorted the car out. Phoned back an hour later and got a woman. Swapped the reg over to the new one, no charge, not even an admin fee. Go figure.

Direct Line told me I was fine to change to my steel wheels and winter tyres, no charge

just switched to Churchill - must call and ask them about this now that I think about it

Direct Line told me I was fine to change to my steel wheels and winter tyres, no charge

just switched to Churchill - must call and ask them about this now that I think about it

Both part of the same group so will be interesting to see what they say.

Both part of the same group so will be interesting to see what they say.

I know, they sent me 3 letters from the same office the same day, one from DL renewing my policy, another cancelling it and asking me to send back the certificate, and a third from churchill asking me to send my proof of new claims discount. Made me wonder why they couldn't just sort it all out without involving the royal mail.

I have found that insurance companies are some of the biggest chancers out there. It seems to me that they will basically chance their arm at making extra coin anyway they can and you really must challenge them on it every single time. There are plenty of competitors that will happily take your business from them so don't be shy to bring that up in conversation if you think they are trying it on with a charge, and don't be shy to actually change insurers if they won't play ball. You can save a quite alarming amount at times.

As an example we have a multi car policy on three cars. Our renewal came through for a total of £1500 for all three cars (one is for our 18 yr old daughter). We rang them and told them not to be so silly and we shall be off if they can't bring that down and with very little argument they came down £300 which is a 20% reduction. A little more encouragement saw another £50 come off for exactly the same cover.

Edited by pablo68

• 2 weeks later...

Ditch and switch.

Aviva aren't bothered about winters as long as they are to manufacturers spec so they get my business.

Its a cash generator.

"Hello Mr insurance, I have fitted some exact size £ 25 a corner Sunny brand part worn ditch finders with a legal 2mm tread, is that ok"

" yes sir, they are the correct size and legal tread"

"Mrs insurance, the worn tyres were cr@p and dangerous so I have fitted branded winter tyres to avoid an accident. They have 8mm tread but different size to the original but are within the correct spec for the car as quoted in the handbook"

" We charge extra for that modification"