Full Beam - not so great

EdmundBlackadder

Would someone be able to tell me what bulbs come with the stock yeti?.

I want to upgrade the yellow lights to more 'whiter' ones, trying to order but im unsure what type of bulb they are.......

Should be specified somewhere in the Handbook but if I recall correctly, headlight bulbs are H7 type.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't have HID's they are H4 bulbs.

Should be specified somewhere in the Handbook but if I recall correctly, headlight bulbs are H7 type.

Hmm; H7 or H4 - which is it?

Edited by bahnstormer vrs

Actually the fogs and the DRLs are pretty easy to get at, probably easier than the heads.

Thought they were supposed to be difficult?

In that case, I already have some "tasty" H7's in the shed that I took out of the Freelander :smirk:

Graham,

I changed the fogs to the higher power Osrams - very nice improvement, and a little finicky to install. You need a mirror to see what you are doing to get them in. Tie a string in the mirror, as if you drop it, it ends up on the pan under the engine and can be difficult to retrieve.

I also used the H4 osrams on my Octavia - again a nice improvement.

Last night I had my first drive in the dark down country lanes. This meant that I could use my full beam for the first time. I think the dipped lights are pretty good so I was expecting a police helicopter style effect when it came to the full beam. I was a little disappointed with the strength of the light but I could not work out why. After a while it struck me. When the full beam goes on the dipped are switched off, in past cars the full beam has always complimented the dipped. I double checked this when I arrived home and this is the case. The downside of this is that the area 10-15 metres in front of the car goes into semi darkness as the full beam is pointing horizontally out.

This seems an odd way for the full beam to work. Is it possible for the dealer to alter this so that the dipped stays on alongside the full beam? This would give a much better spread of visibility.

I am interested to hear what people think of this who live in the deepest darkest parts of the countryside where street lights are not an issue. I know we have a few from N.Wales, Scotland and the Yorkshire moors where good lights, full beam a necessity, is very important.

When I tried this along the M27 tonight, my dipped beam stayed on as well :yes:

My xenons REALLY light up the sides of the road as well as the lanes ahead :D and without ANY shadows or dark spots :no:

oooo lighten up dude, its all tongue in cheek, ive actually only used my fogs once in anger emoticon-0136-giggle.gifemoticon-0136-giggle.gif ....now where my big SPOTS emoticon-0103-cool.gif

What is so sad is the double standards and hypocracy on this site. I said that I used my fogs on the back lanes around here and I was virtually crucified by the so call experts for abusing my fogs when there is no fog.

Political Correctness rules OK!!!

As for me - I will use any and all the lights on my Yeti as I wish. If you happen to be coming the other way then ****************emoticon-0110-tongueout.gif

What is so sad is the double standards and hypocracy on this site. .....

Political Correctness rules OK!!!

As for me - I will use any and all the lights on my Yeti as I wish. If you happen to be coming the other way then ****************emoticon-0110-tongueout.gif

Hmmm... Interesting. Coming from the person that went on about how Xenons blind him and how dangerous it is to be blinded.... emoticon-0145-shake.gif All I say is back to sentence one as quoted above in your own post! emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Hmmm... Interesting. Coming from the person that went on about how Xenons blind him and how dangerous it is to be blinded.... emoticon-0145-shake.gif All I say is back to sentence one as quoted above in your own post! emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Ah but unlike the pontificating HID users, I am considerate to other road users. I would never use fogs and main beam when I see an oncoming vehicle. (easy to spot in country lanes) I am fortunate that I do not have HID to blind other road users and I find, like other halogen users, that dipped beam gives the required cut off.

Perhaps people in glass houses etc.

Ah but unlike the pontificating HID users, I am considerate to other road users. I would never use fogs and main beam when I see an oncoming vehicle. (easy to spot in country lanes) I am fortunate that I do not have HID to blind other road users and I find, like other halogen users, that dipped beam gives the required cut off.

Perhaps people in glass houses etc.

emoticon-0140-rofl.gifemoticon-0140-rofl.gif OH I love this place. I have never met such a nice bunch of people on one forum ever. We'd have been at each other's throats by now about some of these topics, yet we all still smile and see each other's points. Love it.

Terfyn: I can't imagine a Yeti driver being anything but considerate. So I guess lee67's tongue in the cheek remark should be read in the same way. And yours about having it all on when there is no one around.

I wonder if at some point you'd be able to buy a retrofit Yeti headlight which has separate Halogen dipped and main beam lights that would solve the problem this thread is about?

emoticon-0140-rofl.gifemoticon-0140-rofl.gif I wonder if at some point you'd be able to buy a retrofit Yeti headlight which has separate Halogen dipped and main beam lights that would solve the problem this thread is about?

Thinking on this point; would it be possible to to rewire the DRLs and fit different bulbs to make them a 'main beam'?

Thinking on this point; would it be possible to to rewire the DRLs and fit different bulbs to make them a 'main beam'?

I don't think so. From what I understand the same bulb does both jobs with a shield moving in and out to go from high to low beam. Same as on the Xenons.

Edit: just realised you said DRLs... and then I think with some hockery pokery what you suggest might work. You just won't have DRLs anymore as they will then become the dipped beams.

Edited by 900000

It would be very dubious legally as I think they are too low under C & U Regs to be used as headlights, plus I suspect that the can-bus system would have a giant hissy-fit!

Also the lens and reflector design is all wrong for a "directional" beam, as it more of a diffuser.