Spec my car

dmcc

Having drooled over the brochure for, oh, aaaages now I've finally specced up the car with a view to ordering next week. I originally was after the new Sport trim but Skoda customer services told me last week that it won't be launched till next year sometime. So, back to the drawing board in order to get the VAT offer.

I've more or less settled on an Elegance (for maximum toys as standard) and am adding actually pretty little: MDI, 3-spoke MFSW, spare wheel and sports suspension.

What else, if anything, do you think I should consider?

Having drooled over the brochure for, oh, aaaages now I've finally specced up the car with a view to ordering next week. I originally was after the new Sport trim but Skoda customer services told me last week that it won't be launched till next year sometime. So, back to the drawing board in order to get the VAT offer.

I've more or less settled on an Elegance (for maximum toys as standard) and am adding actually pretty little: MDI, 3-spoke MFSW, spare wheel and sports suspension.

What else, if anything, do you think I should consider?

When I ordered mine I managed to blag mudflaps, bootliner, rubber mats, underseat storage and spare wheel free, and I also got 2 years 0% finance, try to get whatever you can, and always pause before signing and ask for something else, after all the salesman wants your money for his commission! :giggle:

Hi,

one thing few people opt for is ESP but having had this system keep me on the road while trying to avoid an obviously blind lane changing lunatic, I won't now buy a new car without it.

Would also recommend the Elba alloys; if nothing else they are easy to clean.

Regards,

TP

Agree with the above - we specced our Elegance with the Elba alloys which look nice. Heated seats are lovely. We went for a white roof (red car) and sunset glass for the rear - looks like a proper pimp mobile now! We also went for the curve projector headlights but haven't done much dark driving to see the effect, but certainly the headlights are the best non-xenon I've had on a car.

heated seats - not turned mine off in about 3 weeks.

Have thought about them and my mate has them in his Octy but I'm not that bothered tbh. I warm the seat up quickly :)

When I ordered mine I managed to blag mudflaps, bootliner, rubber mats, underseat storage and spare wheel free, and I also got 2 years 0% finance, try to get whatever you can, and always pause before signing and ask for something else, after all the salesman wants your money for his commission! :giggle:

The 0% deal is still on but the dealer is running another offer that's just as attractive and less damaging on my wallet. I'll be looking for some safety stuff thrown in - first aid kit, hi-vis, triangle.

Hi,

one thing few people opt for is ESP but having had this system keep me on the road while trying to avoid an obviously blind lane changing lunatic, I won't now buy a new car without it.

Would also recommend the Elba alloys; if nothing else they are easy to clean.

Regards,

TP

Cheers for this - I have been actively considering this option. It's unclear from the brochure if the Elegance DSG has that as standard; "ESP Inc." listed as standard equipment for the SE DSG so I would assume it's standard on the higher-spec car too.

Agree with the above - we specced our Elegance with the Elba alloys which look nice. Heated seats are lovely. We went for a white roof (red car) and sunset glass for the rear - looks like a proper pimp mobile now! We also went for the curve projector headlights but haven't done much dark driving to see the effect, but certainly the headlights are the best non-xenon I've had on a car.

Elba alloys are a definite. Had considered the curve proj headlights as Xenons aren't available, but I do very little driving on unlit roads, so I'm not sure what benefit it would bring.

Cheers folks - still open to suggestions.

Spec on ESP plus if you want TPM rather than spec it on its own - ESP plus includes it as part of its package (ESP, HHC and TPM). My Elegance is a manual with no options on it at all (apart from the Giagaro wheels and the Fabia sill protectors from the non-model specific options list).

My Elegance came with carpet mats in it as standard so I can`t see why you would want the rubber ones as they look a bit cheapo IMHO. Our Superb has heated seats but I wouldnt spec them on my car as they are a novelty but I soon got bored of using them. And our Superb has curve projector headlights but they don`t make much difference to be honest and thats with the uber-powerful Xenons on the Superb!

Other than that I don`t think they need to be optioned up - they have nearly everything as standard!

Spec on ESP plus if you want TPM rather than spec it on its own - ESP plus includes it as part of its package (ESP, HHC and TPM). My Elegance is a manual with no options on it at all (apart from the Giagaro wheels and the Fabia sill protectors from the non-model specific options list).

My Elegance came with carpet mats in it as standard so I can`t see why you would want the rubber ones as they look a bit cheapo IMHO. Our Superb has heated seats but I wouldnt spec them on my car as they are a novelty but I soon got bored of using them. And our Superb has curve projector headlights but they don`t make much difference to be honest and thats with the uber-powerful Xenons on the Superb!

Other than that I don`t think they need to be optioned up - they have nearly everything as standard!

Carpet mats are for the summer, rubber mats for the wet winter weather, easier to clean after collecting mud etc from some of the places I have to visit, same thing with the bootliner.

Spec on ESP plus if you want TPM rather than spec it on its own - ESP plus includes it as part of its package (ESP, HHC and TPM).

Except the spec I've picked includes ESP as standard as it's the DSG.

if you look at the options there is ESP and HHC as standard on the DSG then an option called "ESP Plus" with includes the TPM in with it. Think it works out cheaper than speccing the TPM on its own. Elba`s are a no-cost option and look a lot better than the Comets as they are a less fussy design and probably a lot easier to clean.

Suppose if you are going muddy places then the ruber mats do make sense! The cargo nets could be useful, but then you dont have to spec them with the car, if you decide you want them you can always buy then from Skoda later (mats are only £40 each plus VAT to buy once you have got the car)

if you look at the options there is ESP and HHC as standard on the DSG then an option called "ESP Plus" with includes the TPM in with it. Think it works out cheaper than speccing the TPM on its own. Elba`s are a no-cost option and look a lot better than the Comets as they are a less fussy design and probably a lot easier to clean.

Suppose if you are going muddy places then the ruber mats do make sense! The cargo nets could be useful, but then you dont have to spec them with the car, if you decide you want them you can always buy then from Skoda later (mats are only £40 each plus VAT to buy once you have got the car)

The TPM on its own is about £90 but ESP Plus is around £400. Either way, TPM is going on.

Heated seats - at the moment, not going on.

Curve projector headlights - still undecided.

White roof - nope, though I like it in some combinations.

Sunset glass - probably not, there will rarely be anyone in the back and there's not a lot of glass...

Need to decide tonight - order going in tomorrow!

IMHO judging by the difference it makes with our Superb (much much brighter headlights anyway) the curve projector lights arent worth it, nor is the sunset glass, you could probably get all the windows tinted should you want for about £200, at least you can around my way!

IMHO judging by the difference it makes with our Superb (much much brighter headlights anyway) the curve projector lights arent worth it, nor is the sunset glass, you could probably get all the windows tinted should you want for about £200, at least you can around my way!

That's good to know as I've been really quite undecided on the curve projectors. Plus, there's always the question if they can be maintained by the user - are they standard bulbs, etc. I know that the xenons require a trip to the garage...

Standard bulbs are a b*tch enough to change! They are H7s, or at least I think, they are. As VW dont want the "cheaper" Skoda brand to conflict with posher brands they have "de-contented" the Fabia so that it now doesnt come with Xenons as an option. I think I saw that on another thread on here!

The headlights have the curve projector units built in even if you dont spec it - if you add them then I would assume it makes and already difficult to get at bulb even more difficult as you would also have linkages or controls fitted to swivel the light unit.

It took me and my other half the best part of an hour to change the bulbs to brighter Philips Blue Vision units as the bulbs are sunk about an inch or so inside the light housing and the hole is quite small and very very diffcult to see into. On the drivers side its pretty much right behind the battery and is a complete pig to get at.

Bugger that then. The xenon light is better IMO but at £750 (based on the Octy spec) plus all maintenance having to be done at a garage I doubt I'd have bothered even if they were available.

At the end of the day, I live in London and so don't exactly do a lot of driving on unlit country roads. The bulbs themselves may be changed in the future (despite it being awkward) if I think the light is too yellow - I prefer white or blue light.

So, I think the final options will be these:

- MDI and 3-spoke MFSW

- Sports suspension

- Elba alloys

- TPM

- Spare wheel

I did think about the leather upholstery but based on the pic in the brochure, I'm not sold. I really like the leather on the Octy vRS but that's a completely unnecessary car :rofl: for me, anyway.

One thing I'm still considering, and don't have to decide on right away, is the rear boot spoiler - especially if the dealer will spray and fit it for free.

The vRS spoiler is about an inch and a half bigger. Either way, I've decided against it. Because......

:love:

Went to Allam's this afternoon and tested a diesel Elegance. And oh my but oil-burners have changed a hell of a lot since I drove my mother's Pug 306 in about 1994 when I passed my test. The car was a pleasure to drive; I would have liked longer and a better stretch of National Speed Limit road to really see what it could do, but the route was decent enough for the sort of driving we'll be mainly doing. What I especially liked was, although it's a smaller car than my mate's Octy, I didn't feel cramped or hemmed in, and I'm a big bear of a man. There actually seemed to be more space between me and the windscreen in the Fab than in the Octy, and I had enough room in the back.

So back to the garage and to the lovely Beth. I only went ordered it :)

Elegance 1.2 DSG in Corrida Red and Elba alloys. Factory options are: MDI, 3-spoke MFSW, TPM, headlight washers, spare wheel.

Decided against the sports suspension after we went over a bloody great pothole and I never noticed it. Have gone against the curve proj headlights as, having had feedback here, I don't think they're worth it for the type of driving we'll be doing. Xenons would be cool, but not available and even if they were, I'm not sure I'd spend £750 on something that has to be brought to a garage just for a bulb change!

I've got about 2-3 weeks before the order is locked down for changes but tbh I can't think of anything I would change (unless someone can convince me beyond doubt that the curve proj's are the way forward).

Mid- to late-March... can't wait!!

Did you decide you want a diesel?

If so then thats the 1.6, the 1.2 TSi is a petrol.

Either way they are great cars, you`ll be suprised how rapid the TSi is once its done a few miles. And they are incredbily comfirtable long distance crusiers. Mine took us up to Manchester and back and I didn`t have to stop to stretch my legs at any point unlike when we have done the same trip in a Mk3 Golf.

Did you decide you want a diesel?

If so then thats the 1.6, the 1.2 TSi is a petrol.

Either way they are great cars, you`ll be suprised how rapid the TSi is once its done a few miles. And they are incredbily comfirtable long distance crusiers. Mine took us up to Manchester and back and I didn`t have to stop to stretch my legs at any point unlike when we have done the same trip in a Mk3 Golf.

The tester was a diesel and was a really nice drive, but we want the DSG box and as we do mainly town driving, won't get the benefit of diesel. Ordered the 1.2 TSi 105 with DSG.

• 2 weeks later...

Call me stingey if you like but I just bought a steel rim and part worn tyre from the scrap yard. Topped it off with a toolkit from eBay and threw out the get you home kit. It is all hidden away under the boot mat and you will probably never need it anyway. Just hung on to the pump. £30 all up.