Light Assistant

Del B

I initially ordered the Light Assistant option in order to get the raised interior mirror position but have found it to be a useful addition. It worked well for a few weeks with the lights coming on in dull and overcast conditions and as the daylight started to fade at the end of the day. However I noticed yesterday that the lights were permanently on B) in bright sunshine so I have had to switch them off. I cleaned the windscreen around the sensor but this made no difference. Has anyone had any problems with this?

Cheers

DelB

I initially ordered the Light Assistant option in order to get the raised interior mirror position but have found it to be a useful addition. It worked well for a few weeks with the lights coming on in dull and overcast conditions and as the daylight started to fade at the end of the day. However I noticed yesterday that the lights were permanently on B) in bright sunshine so I have had to switch them off. I cleaned the windscreen around the sensor but this made no difference. Has anyone had any problems with this?

Cheers

DelB

Yes, I've found that every now and then the lights stay on despite strong sunlight. I cannot fathom out a reason either. I just leave them on as its no bother. Odd, though.

And I agree that it is a great system. Near here there are a number of stretches of lanes where the trees have arched over the road so its a bit like driving in a tunnel, and it is quite amusing to see the lights come on, do their dance, squint, and then turn themselves off again. Usually!

Cheers

DelB

A similar thing happens sometimes in my current Octavia Scout. It's intermittent and I can't work out why it should be so - but then I let it be and treat it as though it's just like having DRLs (which I will have when my Yeti arrives!).

I don't think it's a fault. I think it's for when the sun is very low in the sky it turns on the headlamps so cars infront of you can see you easier in their mirrors. It doesn't seem to do it during the day but they always seem to come on when I'm driving into the sun.

I don't think it's a fault. I think it's for when the sun is very low in the sky it turns on the headlamps so cars infront of you can see you easier in their mirrors. It doesn't seem to do it during the day but they always seem to come on when I'm driving into the sun.

Thanks - that's a very interesting interpretation. On the way home the sun was low but directly behind me and the lights stayed on. Ironically, it's bright sunshine here again today so i won't be able to test the theory until the weather returns to 'normal'.

Thanks - that's a very interesting interpretation. On the way home the sun was low but directly behind me and the lights stayed on. Ironically, it's bright sunshine here again today so i won't be able to test the theory until the weather returns to 'normal'.

I think it is mentioned in the manual or was it on this forum? If the auto-dipping mirror senses sun in its sensor (though the rear window of course) the lights will be switched on. I might be wrong but remember hearing/reading that somewhere...

James, I do think you might be onto something here... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

I noticed it a few years ago when I was driving to Essex after work many times per week and driving anti-clock on the M25 into the sun I noticed my headlamps would turn themselves on even though it was pretty bright and then once you started driving north again they often turned off. But they also come on if you travel above 130kph for more than 3-4 minutes so often on the motorway they just come on anyway.

Thanks James. Always wondered why the Yeti and other cars had lights that came on during daylight. :thumbup:

It's true,

Bright or low sunshine activates the auto headlights, as does turning your windscreen wipers on for more than a few minutes and driving at motorway speeds.

There are lots of ways to activate the auto lights other than the obvious low light levels :thumbup:

It's true,

Bright or low sunshine activates the auto headlights, as does turning your windscreen wipers on for more than a few minutes and driving at motorway speeds.

There are lots of ways to activate the auto lights other than the obvious low light levels :thumbup:

I thought the motorway speeds bit was a hundred plus; so autobahn speeds then :giggle:

Regards,

TP

In auto mode the headlights come on at just over 80mph I believe, so I guess 130kmh or thereabouts. They also come on if you leave the wipers in the on position for more than 30 seconds, or if you have auto wipers then they come on after so many wipes within a given timeframe.

In auto mode the headlights come on at just over 80mph I believe, so I guess 130kmh or thereabouts.

Oops, mine are on more often than they are off when I'm on the motorway! Time to slow down.

Oops, mine are on more often than they are off when I'm on the motorway! Time to slow down.

The suggestion that lights come on at about 130kph is spot on (no pun intended) - I drive my Octavia in France quite regularly, and the lights come on when I hit the top motorway speed of 130kph. Interestingly, they then seem to stay on until the ignition is next switched off, even if I move off the motorway onto slower roads.

I noticed it a few years ago when I was driving to Essex after work many times per week and driving anti-clock on the M25 into the sun I noticed my headlamps would turn themselves on ...

It's the 'I'm arriving in Essex 'Bling' Sensor' coming into action B)

I'm allowed to say it - look at my location :rofl:

Cheers

DelB

Interestingly I was not impressed with the auto lights on my last VW so didn’t order them on my SE (extra £55 I think) but the SE came with them anyway!

I tend to leave them off quite a bit as I don’t like the way they seem to come on at inappropriate times.

Also the DRLs are quite bright enough to be seen in most daylight conditions.

I agree with Fuzzybunny, I prefer to have control, generally. The trouble with relying on the auto function is that I found I got less 'sharp' on checking what conditions were, and what I wanted my lights to be doing - it numbed my brain! But I have sometimes noticed the lights staying on unexpectantly with auto switched on - both on my old Golf, and the Yeti. So I have switched them off manually and, as an experiment, generally found if I turned auto back on, up came the lights again!

But at least you can turn the function off if preferred. (Not so with the wretched rain sensor, or at least, if you do, you havn't got the excellent variable intermittant wipe to replace it - my personal great rant!)