Our French Yeti Arrived Today

allena

I feel rather guilty that our waiting time was only a few days more than 9 weeks here in France. Even that seemed like it was never going to end!

However, finally, this afternoon, we collected her ... Steel Grey metallic. 4x2. 110hp 2.0 TSI "Ambition" 16" Alu wheels, all black/dark grey interior, with extras: ESP, spare wheel, mud flaps, washable interior mats and rubber boot protector, factory fitted detachable tow bar.

To be frank, the PDI was not very good. We spent over an hour after the hand-over formalities waiting while they removed what looked like aluminium swarf from the boot, and cleaned the black back bumper and black side runners along the left side of the car. Also they had to clean the leather covering to the handbrake, which had been missed: it was filthy dirty! The swarf, we were told, was from the drilling for the rear number plate.

They did fill the tank with diesel as 'compensation' for the delay. But it wasn't the delay that I was so worried about, it was the concern that if they weren't that careful with the cleaning then what else might they have not been careful with? We were really disappointed by all that, as you can imagine. :(

When the car came back from the cleaning, I went around it with a fine tooth comb, and checked and tested every single thing that I could think of. Couldn't find anything else wrong with her. :D

Anyway, she drives absolutely magnificently. I remember being impressed on the test drive with the the car's sure-footed nature, but as we took the scenic route on the near 100Km drive home from the dealership she really demonstrated even better handling than I remembered. I can really understand why people say they get real enjoyment from driving the SM.

No squeaks, creaks, or rattles to report.

By the time we arrived home it was dark, so couldn't do any photos today, and the weather forecast is rain for three or four days. :(

Congratulations on collecting the SM hope you enjoy getting to know her.

I've been putting together a check list for when I collect mine next week I intend to check everything before handing over my hard earned cash.

Thanks for the congrats folks. I can't remember ever being so excited about a car; in a way it is a bit ridiculous for me as I've never been a bloke for toys (except the electronic kind, that is.)

As it's bucketing down with rain, I've managed to control myself to just investigating the maxidot and other controls. I had been worrying that there wasn't a speed limiter (which I've got used to on my previous cars) - but I've discovered a setting in the maxidot that gives an audible warning when you get to a predetermined speed. I haven't tried it for real yet, maybe tomorrow. I think there's also supposed to be a way of doing that with the cruise control / indicator stalk, but it doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere in the manual.

Rockhopper: I did say I was feeling guilty with my relatively short wait - maybe that's why we have to pay about five grand more for the car over here in France! :'(

Hi Onesque, great idea. How would you feel about sharing your 'check list'? I'm not sure I know half the stuff I should be checking for. Hope to be collecting ours as 2009 draws to a close.

Congratulations on collecting the SM hope you enjoy getting to know her.

I've been putting together a check list for when I collect mine next week I intend to check everything before handing over my hard earned cash.

Hi Onesque, great idea. How would you feel about sharing your 'check list'? I'm not sure I know half the stuff I should be checking for. Hope to be collecting ours as 2009 draws to a close.

2009 :giggle: you have it already then :rofl:

Hi PM me with your email and I'll send you a copy, it's at excel file so you should be able to update it if there's something I've missed.

Allena

Given you not being happy with the PDI, have you checked the following as I have heard of these being missed. They are the simple ones as well that get conveniently forgotten,

1- Battery connections being tight - heard 2 stories of these jumping off on a journeys & causing a real headache to find.

2- Oil level - The car does come with some in it, but its worth checking its been filled

3- Brake fluid level - Same as 2

4- Coolant level & is it correct specific gravity for winter

5- Tyre pressures - These can get forgotten.

At least youre another happy driver

Hi lfc958,

Yes, on my own check list was to get everything demonstrated and shown to me. That included the engine compartment and the fluid levels / filler points and so on. To be honest, my wife thinks I am a particular demanding client - though not blaming me for it. We both feel that when you are paying this kind of money (just over € 25,000), you deserve maximum attention. It makes me very angry when you find sloppiness like leaving the drilling swarf in/on the car. :wonder:

It appears to me that this particular dealer is rather lacking attention on the cleanliness front. Those things that didn't meet my 'specs' were all largely about state of finish. There were some scuff marks on the black plastic rear bumper, and the left side plastic runner forming the 'sill'. There was quite a bit of light coloured dust (at least that's what it looked like) on the leather handle of the break lever, and on the storage box beneath the rear compartment aircon vents, for example. My feelings were /are that if the cars in the showroom are gleaming and clean - as they were - why should the car I'm about to take away (which was parked in the showroom too) not be finished to the same standard?

Initially the salesgirl who was looking after our sale, tried to clean off the scuff marks on the back bumper with some kind of spray - I'm guessing a trade "back to black" kind of thing. All that appeared to do was to cover over the marks, as you could still see them. At this point I made clear - politely - that I wasn't a happy bunny, whereupon the sales manager appeared and took control. He drove the car out of the showroom taking it to their bodywork shop where it was given a thorough cleaning. When it returned, he took over the presentation of the vehicle himself.

My last car - a Renault - was also parked waiting for me in the garage showroom - but beneath a 'silk' cover! I presume to prevent customers touching it, and to even keep dust off.

This time I even took a CD with me to check the player in the radio. I was taken by surprise by the SD slot, though: I wasn't prepared with an SD card.

There are some things, though, that I suppose a more technically minded individual might have checked: like your item 4. I wouldn't have a clue as to how to check the specific gravity of the coolant. I'm assuming that I should have asked for that to be checked?

I didn't get a Skoda check list showing what is done by the dealer in the PDI, though. I don't know whether this is normal for Skoda, but it is something that I've had before. If it isn't Skoda protocol, I suggest it should be. But even then, I suppose, the customer would only have a tick as the 'say so'.

Now I'm waiting for the rain to clear so that I can take the car outside and give it a good protective polish (Supagard). I'll need some kind of staging to reach all of the roof though!!! :giggle:

Allena

Given you not being happy with the PDI, have you checked the following as I have heard of these being missed. They are the simple ones as well that get conveniently forgotten,

1- Battery connections being tight - heard 2 stories of these jumping off on a journeys & causing a real headache to find.

2- Oil level - The car does come with some in it, but its worth checking its been filled

3- Brake fluid level - Same as 2

4- Coolant level & is it correct specific gravity for winter

5- Tyre pressures - These can get forgotten.

At least youre another happy driver

5135669156_c586686aa9_z.jpg

Don't know if this is of any help to anyone collecting their SM, but I put this together to take with me to do my own PDI.

There are probably things missed off but these can be added to suit your own requirements.

The original file is in excel, but I couldn't see how to attach that to the post so have uploaded it as an image.

I'm happy to email it to anyone who might find it useful.

YOU CAN RIGHT CLICK ON THE IMAGE AND SELECT PRINT PICTURE AS AN ALTERNATIVE

Edited by Onesque

5135669156_c586686aa9_z.jpg

Don't know if this is of any help to anyone collecting their SM, but I put this together to take with me to do my own PDI.

There are probably things missed off but these can be added to suit your own requirements.

The original file is in excel, but I couldn't see how to attach that to the post so have uploaded it as an image.

I'm happy to email it to anyone who might find it useful.

Yes please - I'd love a copy of this. Thanks for the hard work and for the offer to share it.

I am sure that boxes are often ticked by the dealer whilst they are sat having a cup of tea at their desk. Unfortunately you only tend to notice problems after driving the car away. My car had over inflated tyres, as has every other new car I have had, low coolant level, no working boot light and the AM connection was not plugged in so I did not have MW radio. All of those things were pretty basic and had a proper check been done they would have been spotted.

Too many salesmen see the sale as being the end of their job when really it is just part of it as a good dealer wants you to come back to get your car serviced there and for you to buy your next car and your next car.

The check list is a great idea and one I shall use next time. You learn with each car you pick up. I am normally so excited by the car arriving that I just want to pick it up and drive away.

I noticed you have the spare, Allena, and a rubber boot liner. I wasn't aware that they do a rubber boot liner for the spare option? If its the 'normal' liner, how does it fit? The only boot liner or mat I could see in the dealers listings, that said it was suitable for use with the spare and/or raised floor, was the textile one with the YETI text.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I am mine!

roguebrit - Hmm, well, yes... the boot rubber mat is obviously not designed specifically for the raised boot floor. It fits well enough to be a valuable addition ... I'm looking at it as 'for the moment'. This because I've seen some available here My link which are specially adapted for the raised floor. I'm not sure which is which, I'm waiting for them to reply to that question at the moment, but they're both the same price. (I've bought from these people before and can thoroughly recommend them.)

roguebrit - Hmm, well, yes... the boot rubber mat is obviously not designed specifically for the raised boot floor. It fits well enough to be a valuable addition ... I'm looking at it as 'for the moment'. This because I've seen some available here My link which are specially adapted for the raised floor. I'm not sure which is which, I'm waiting for them to reply to that question at the moment, but they're both the same price. (I've bought from these people before and can thoroughly recommend them.)

Allena - thanks for reply and wow, yes a few folk will be interested in this, I think.

Okay, the part number for the boot mat when you have the spare wheel - i.e, higher boot floor - is 192492(751).

That's the right-rand one on their web page described as "Boot Mat Skoda Yeti 7.09-loading increased spare"

Link Here

• 4 months later...

allena

just checking mine

I agree, the PDI as we know it does not seem to exist in France - I have a few "issues"

the salesman even said to me "it has only enough diesel for 15 kms but there is a supermarket just over there" - it was getting late on Friday afternoon he was obviously keen to get away to pick his kids up from somewhere - and "when you bring it back to have the tow bar fitted, ask for me and I will put 20 litres of diesel in for free and give the car a good clean"

driving "home" guess what - windscreen washers (no fluid), not working - they had nor even checked the water level - it was p1ssing it down

I'll list all the issues when I've checked the car - but there are two small "paint chips" on the lower part of the boot, (careless removal of a sticker), so they will have to respray the bottom half unless I am prepared to accept it "as is"

The car had been "washed' and again that seemed enough for them - it was not at all clean by our standards - I spent 1 hour with the dealer principal - and managed to get a few hundred Euros out of him towards the cost of the tow bar, because I was unhappy.

c'est la vie in La Belle France - (nice that we stuffed them at Rugby last week)

Cheers

Bill

Edited by BillN_33

Wasn't Claud Auto's by any chance, was it!

My saga has been continuing, believe me. It has not got any better! Next Wednesday I am taking the car to the most local dealership for a meeting with two Skoda technicians from the French concessionaire... where, I understand, they will be making a report to determine how Skoda are going to deal with my problems. Those problems are all largely to do with the failure of the supplying dealer to order the bl**dy protective foils in the first place (and probably failing to do the PDI on the mechanics), and then damage done as a result of remedial works - sometimes remedial works on top of remedial works (but not by the supplying dealer!)

When I know what is happening I will write an report of my own detailing the story. As it is, Skoda 'after sales service' is progressively destroying the 'newness' of my four-month old Yeti... actually lets abbreviate that to simpky the word 'destroying' on its own. :(

Best regards, much sympathy, much empathy, my positive thoughts that you get your problems sorted to your satisfaction,

Allen

allena

just checking mine

I agree, the PDI as we know it does not seem to exist in France - I have a few "issues"

the salesman even said to me "it has only enough diesel for 15 kms but there is a supermarket just over there" - it was getting late on Friday afternoon he was obviously keen to get away to pick his kids up from somewhere - and "when you bring it back to have the tow bar fitted, ask for me and I will put 20 litres of diesel in for free and give the car a good clean"

driving "home" guess what - windscreen washers (no fluid), not working - they had nor even checked the water level - it was p1ssing it down

I'll list all the issues when I've checked the car - but there are two small "paint chips" on the lower part of the boot, (careless removal of a sticker), so they will have to respray the bottom half unless I am prepared to accept it "as is"

The car had been "washed' and again that seemed enough for them - it was not at all clean by our standards - I spent 1 hour with the dealer principal - and managed to get a few hundred Euros out of him towards the cost of the tow bar, because I was unhappy.

c'est la vie in La Belle France - (nice that we stuffed them at Rugby last week)

Cheers

Bill

Hi Allen,

I'm near Bordeaux so not the dealer you mentioned

Mine has to go back for the tow bar to be fitted and they then have to fit a couple of new black door protective strips, as two seem to be coming adrift.

They also need to "flash in" or maybe repaint the bottom half on the boot lid - the car had three small chips out of the panel to the left of the number plate, (which they have put on slightly crooked!!), and they just touched these chips up with a paint stick - (but can I trust them not to make a bigger mess?)

Gave the car a good clean, polish and wax today and all seems well as i only found a couple of other very small marks which could have been caused driving home.

the car reminds me of an Octavia that my son had for a while - the VW engine can sound agricultural - I'm reasonably happy with the car but I prefer my UK reg 2008 SAAB 9 5 Vector Sport 175bhp TDi Estate.

They got my car in two weeks for me from another dealer as i wanted one quickly - (they quoted 14 weeks for a factory order) - the small marks were made by some ham fisted employee who removed the original dealers sticker - it is a new unregistered car and I got a reasonable discount and they are fitting the tow bar etc., for 50% of the normal price - they also "threw in" the front mats, 4 mud flaps and a rubber boot mat

I suppose that if we had the same mentality as the average French driver we would not worry about these "little things" - (my wife cannot understand why I am annoyed about a slightly crooked rear number plate).

Good luck with your meeting - the frogs are not the most understanding - keep us all posted!

Cheers

Bill

Edited by BillN_33

Bill, number plates straight? What do you want... blood! ;)

I'm with you. I don't think these are 'little things' either. We pay a hefty premium for cars in France, as it is. My 'Ambition' with only ESP, removable tow bar, mud flaps, and protective mats added, wasn't that much short of Є25,000. I don't think it is too much to ask that the car be properly checked over and prepared by the dealer, for that kind of money. But actually, when you think about it, cost is immaterial: you are supposed to be buying a new car, whether the dealer gives you a discount or not is up to them, and giving you a discount does not alter the contract in so far as what you are buying.

My wife's Renault was under a very large silk 'sheet' (for want of a better word) which was ceremoniously removed in the dealers showroom to reveal the car in absolutely sparkling and pristine condition. All that was missing as they whipped it away was the fanfare! The Skoda, on the other hand, was parked a few meters away from their gleaming, base, showroom model, and was - by comparison - the poor relative: Swarf from the number plate drilling left on top of the rear bumper (and swiped away with a hand gesture when I complained - thus scratching the plastic); no cleaning to the engine compartment; scuff marks on the side black plastic sill mouldings; runs all over the bodywork - where it hadn't been rinsed off properly (at least it showed it had seen some water!); oil on the handbrake grip (discovered too late on the trip home); scuff marks and scratches on the internal plastic - particularly the back end of the armrest housing; and a rubber boot mat that didn't fit properly, are just examples of what I don't call 'little things'. And on top of all that, repeated lies on the part of the 'partner' concerning the protective foils which hadn't been fitted.

I'm not too sure about the French attitude: my neighbour is more attentive and demanding of detail than I am. He even, unashamedly, makes a visual 'walk round' whenever his wife comes back from a trip in his Peugeot. (I wouldn't put up with that if I were her, but that's another story!) And when the car was new, it was equally unashamedly displayed for us all to see (by invitation)... with every part in pristine condition. If there had been a crooked number plate, he would have gone crazy!

Go get 'em! (Your rights.) Is what I say.

Best wishes,

Allen