Roomster tsi dsg

bertJ

Because of severe left hip problems (soon to have a hip replacement) I'm considering ordering a petrol TSI DSG version of the Roomster but I'm very reluctant to go back to a petrol engined car after having a number of excellent Skoda diesels over the years. So far I've not been able to find any dealer with a demonstrator but I have driven a Fabia tsi dsg and I was quite impressed with the engine power and smoothness of the gear change. I did, however, drive a four year old petrol auto Roomster that I thought was terrible but was very impressed with its visibility and general versatility. Newer cars seem much better finished than the one I drove.

Another off-putting factor is the considerable delay in actually getting one - dealers are talking about next April at the earliest! I also find it very strange that Skoda do not produce either a DSG diesel Roomster or Fabia - this is, presumably, to avoid competing with VW.

I'd be very grateful for aany comments.

Just taken delivery of my Roomster Scout 1.2TSI DSG. My last car was an 03 VW Passat 1.9TDI Auto Sport - so a tad of a downsize! The engine is an eye-opener, quieter than the Passat, responsive (although turbo lag on occasions - but I was used to that on a TD!) - and excellent fuel economy - round town I'm getting at least 40mpg and on long runs 50+. With the now ridiculous price differnece between diesel and 4* (round here 4p) diesels are not as attractive as they used to be (when I first turned to diesel the price difference was the other way round!)

It's comfortable and the handling for a tall car is good (corners better than the Passat with out the body roll). Plenty of space, the middle rear seat is a joke - but never have to use it! The gap between the rear seats and the parcel shelf is annoying but all in all - an excellent car. With your mobility problems, I would recommend it - my mother (93 and with sever arthritis) finds it an easy? car to get in!

PS I ordered mine at the beginning of June - delivery end of October! I

Just taken delivery of my Roomster Scout 1.2TSI DSG. My last car was an 03 VW Passat 1.9TDI Auto Sport - so a tad of a downsize! The engine is an eye-opener, quieter than the Passat, responsive (although turbo lag on occasions - but I was used to that on a TD!) - and excellent fuel economy - round town I'm getting at least 40mpg and on long runs 50+. With the now ridiculous price differnece between diesel and 4* (round here 4p) diesels are not as attractive as they used to be (when I first turned to diesel the price difference was the other way round!)

It's comfortable and the handling for a tall car is good (corners better than the Passat with out the body roll). Plenty of space, the middle rear seat is a joke - but never have to use it! The gap between the rear seats and the parcel shelf is annoying but all in all - an excellent car. With your mobility problems, I would recommend it - my mother (93 and with sever arthritis) finds it an easy? car to get in!

PS I ordered mine at the beginning of June - delivery end of October! I

Thanks for that - I was starting to think that no-one wanted to talk to me! My present car is a Mondeo estate so the Roomster would be a similar 'downgrade' to you. Your experience with the Roomster seems excellent so I'll go and have another discussion with the dealer. I still think that delivery on these cars is ridiculous - goodness knows why.

bertj - are you aware that its not just Roomy that has silly delivery times, its across the whole range.( including VW's)

If you really dont want to wait then you can always see if there is a cancelled order ( due to long wait), but you will be extremely lucky to get the exact spec you want.

So if you have another drive & like , then its down to you to decide what to do.

bertj - are you aware that its not just Roomy that has silly delivery times, its across the whole range.( including VW's)

If you really dont want to wait then you can always see if there is a cancelled order ( due to long wait), but you will be extremely lucky to get the exact spec you want.

So if you have another drive & like , then its down to you to decide what to do.

Yes, I checked on a Fabia estate tsi and the earliest one can be supplied is next March. Seems crazy in these times of recession!; you would almost think that Skoda etc. don't want to sell you a new car!

Yes, I checked on a Fabia estate tsi and the earliest one can be supplied is next March. Seems crazy in these times of recession!; you would almost think that Skoda etc. don't want to sell you a new car!

At the moment Skoda don't need to sell their cars because plenty of folk are turning up to buy them.

• 3 weeks later...

Evening all, wife runs a Fabia---great little car, I have just ordered a superb estate----delivery Febuary!!! was told that VW has told Skoda to slow production because they were canniblising VWs sales. :o

perhaps VW had better make its offering better value like a skoda then

• 4 weeks later...

perhaps VW had better make its offering better value like a skoda then

hi guys iam on the other side ive got a fabia 1.2 sport with a chromed and air brushed its my secound one but i am going to look at the 1.2 tsi roomster

the ive is my girlfrend has got arthitis and can't bend her nees so sher the seat right back but another broblem that her dad can't get in the back to good

so sumeone has told me to have a roomster these more room in the back is the engine ok wots the best colour to have in it did look at the new corsa

looks more sportter but its a vaxuhall and i would like to stick with skoda also is the roomster good on economy thanks pete

hi guys iam on the other side ive got a fabia 1.2 sport with a chromed and air brushed its my secound one but i am going to look at the 1.2 tsi roomster

the ive is my girlfrend has got arthitis and can't bend her nees so sher the seat right back but another broblem that her dad can't get in the back to good

so sumeone has told me to have a roomster these more room in the back is the engine ok wots the best colour to have in it did look at the new corsa

looks more sportter but its a vaxuhall and i would like to stick with skoda also is the roomster good on economy thanks pete

I'm really sorry but I found this impossible to read.

I'm really sorry but I found this impossible to read.

hi guys so sorry i tryed to do 3 jobs a the same time right ive got a skoda fabia sport with a chromed and a air brushed engine bay but i mite be looking at the roomster

ive been told the roomster has more room in the back because my grilfrend has got arthitis and needs the passinger seat right back so there is now room in the back

of the fabia so is the 1.2 tsi engine ok wots the best colour to have and is it good on economy thanks pete

• 3 weeks later...

As with anyone with a mobility problem its really no use asking for others' opinions as its unlikely you'll find anyone with identical problems (my wife is disabled so speaking from experience)...

There is only one way to see if a Roomie would suit her and that is to get yourself and the GF down to your nearest dealer and let her try it out... Otherwise you could end up making an expensive mistake...

I have just ordered a 1.2 tsi dsg roomster (elegance, cappuccino) and our current car is a Yeti with the same engine+gearbox. The engine has more than enough power and torque even for the heavier Yeti, and the gearbox does a wonderful job of keeping the engine running at the right RPMs, be it economical commuting or swift acceleration. Please note that the "old" automatic Roomster had the older 1.6 l non-turbocharged engine and a conventional auto, the TSI and DSG has nothing in common with these, so if it is the previous experience of an auto Roomster that worries you - forget these worries.

There is a simple reason for the long waiting times: this engine+gearbox is just the best drivetrain for small and medium sized cars currently available (all categories), and can be found all over the VAG range of brands (Skoda Fabia, Roomster, Octavia, Yeti; VW Golf, Polo, Touran (!); Seat Ibiza etc etc). The demand is currently HUUGE, and unfortunately the production can't currently keep up.

If the Roomster as a car suits you this engine will not be a problem, as it has some diesel-like qualities including plenty of torque on low revs and good fuel economy, but smoother sound and ride. And as this is very much a VAG group product you can actually test drive the Roomster (to check the functionality of the car) and then some other car with this engine to get a feel for that. We actually ordered our Yeti without test driving the DSG coupled with this engine. (I had driven an Octavia with the 1.4 TSI and the 6-speeder)

And in my opinion - it's worth 6 months of waiting! (Current estimate for delivery 30.6, order date 10.1 emoticon-0106-crying.gif)

I am disabled, needing an automatic and currently drive a 2008 Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 16v auto 5dr, It is suprisingly easy to get in and out of (I am 6'5" tal) but I ordered it when my consultant was experimenting with my painkillers (At least I have an excuse, there must be a lot of Corsa drivers who chose one lucidly :rofl: ). It is a car, no more, no less, the auto box is badly matched to the engine and has typical small 16v performance, it needs to be screaming to overtake, and the gear changes are agricultural. I also had a 1983 Hondamatic Accord until last year which was sublime in comparison.

I was initially sceptical of the 1.2 tsi engine, the four previous Skodas in our family have all been TDI's so I tested a Fabia 1.2 tsi dsg. excellent but not comfortable for me in the cab, the Roomster fitted all my requirements, hence on 1st Dec. I ordered one in Mocha.

Regarding delivery, yesterday I was assured it was on target for delivery on 1st March. I'm sure I will enjoy this car more than the Corsa and looking at the performance figures, they are not far off my Rover P6b 3500, except for nearly triple the fuel ecomomy!!