Fixed cost service plan

dmcc

Something that got me thinking earlier...

Mate With Octy has the fixed cost service plan. He pays £22 per month and due to his mileage needs a service about once every nine months, so it clearly makes sense.

I've just ordered a Fabia with a DSG gearbox and servicing will likely be based on time rather than distance - I'm estimating about 8k miles per year. I'd be interested in views as to whether the cost of a fixed plan would be worth it. Can anyone give me a ballpark estimate of annual service cost, and the cost of the gearbox service?

Just picked my Fabia up today and the fixed plan service cost, based on 10000 miles pa, was £15.49. I will only do about 6000 miles per year.

So i was also wondering is it worth the cost?

Regards

Larry

You need to be suspicious of these kinds of things. Around £180 for an annual service seems a bit on the expensive side to me.

I have always thought these 'deals' are more for the dealer's benefit than the customers. Just do your homework first.

You need to be suspicious of these kinds of things. Around £180 for an annual service seems a bit on the expensive side to me.

I have always thought these 'deals' are more for the dealer's benefit than the customers. Just do your homework first.

Precisely, they wouldn't introduce these schemes if they didn't see ££££'s in it. If I were the OP i'd find out how much the service plan costs, then pop that money in a seperate bank account each month, after the car gets what it needs I'm more than certain you'd have plenty left over.

So that's about £185 a year... Now when I had a Clio I was paying over £200 per service and although I know it includes things like brake pads, I only had to have those replaced once in the Clio. It would be good to know when the gearbox service is required, and how much that would cost.

Precisely, they wouldn't introduce these schemes if they didn't see ££££'s in it. If I were the OP i'd find out how much the service plan costs, then pop that money in a seperate bank account each month, after the car gets what it needs I'm more than certain you'd have plenty left over.

Well that's what Mate With Octy said, and is Plan B depending on servicing costs vs. cost of plan. At least I don't have to make a decision right away - I'm not even getting the car till March and have a year to make my mind up...!

I pay just over £14 a month for 3 years but that includes all services, fluid changes etc as well as its first MOT when its due and every month I`m entitled to have it valeted inside and out if I wish......The price is of course fixed for the 3 years whilst one off services are subject to increase. Probably works out even stevens but you dont get any nasty unexpected service bills when you cant afford them....doesnt suit everybody though I have to say

• 4 weeks later...

I pay just over £14 a month for 3 years but that includes all services, fluid changes etc as well as its first MOT when its due and every month I`m entitled to have it valeted inside and out if I wish......The price is of course fixed for the 3 years whilst one off services are subject to increase. Probably works out even stevens but you dont get any nasty unexpected service bills when you cant afford them....doesnt suit everybody though I have to say

Do services have to be done at a dealer within the warranty period? If not is there much of a saving going to an independent garage?

Also what would service cost typically on a petrol TSI Octavia?

Thanks

Well we just got a letter from our dealers (one for each of us) offering us servicing for the first 2 years / 20,000 miles for £299. Considering taking it up on mine, not sure on the Superb as she is nearly on 16K.

Well we just got a letter from our dealers (one for each of us) offering us servicing for the first 2 years / 20,000 miles for £299. Considering taking it up on mine, not sure on the Superb as she is nearly on 16K.

That's the deal I got on my Octy vRS at 30k. The 40k service is a major one so I thought it was good value for money, and you get £100 in vouchers from Skoda to spend on whatever you wish.

If I can get the same offer for my Fabia vRS I've just ordered then I'll definitely take it and put the £100 towards parts or new tyres if I can get away with it.

Well I'm still unsure but at least I don't have to make a decision just yet. However, it will depend partly on whether the car is set to variable or fixed servicing. It should be variable but my mate's Octy was set by the dealer to fixed - and VW has refused to cough up for the first service that was done recently (though at least they've offered vouchers in compensation). I guess I really won't be able to decide till I know how much the 1st/2nd service would cost at an average dealer in the south-east.