Recommendations for a good HID lamp kit

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is mine with HID kit fitted using 50 watt kit and 6000 k bulbs, lower fog light bulbs are, PHILIPS diamond vision 5000k white headlight bulb H1. side light bulbs are canbus friendly 3 led 501 capless bulbs. ive turned the cold start off on the headlamp system and side light system using vagcom and been running these for about 9 months and never had a issue.

I think you've just answered one of my queries... I have a 50w 6000k kit i the boot waiting to be fitted but I wasn't sure what to re-code to make sure they work OK without flashing etc. Can you confirm the coding changes for me to be sure when I find a friendly vag-com owner?

Thanks

Thanks Mike,

That's great info as usual :thumbup: - Just need to get someone local now to do me the coding (I have access to a chinese clone cable and software etc. but it doesn't seem to work on the Fabia and as a result I'm loathe to try it on the Octavia).

Thanks Mike,

That's great info as usual :thumbup: - Just need to get someone local now to do me the coding (I have access to a chinese clone cable and software etc. but it doesn't seem to work on the Fabia and as a result I'm loathe to try it on the Octavia).

Not over this way any time soon are you Mark? :)

Not over this way any time soon are you Mark? :)

I wish I was as you'd probably be my first port of call! :rofl:

Unfortunately I don't get over to Altrincham or Macc much these days as most of my workload at the moment is east of Sheffield in Doncaster. :S

Maybe I'll just fit them and see what happens...

Edited by skomaz

No worries - just in case you were over here for a reason :)

There's a few decent people with VCDS in the Sheff area Mark, I'm sure of it. Check the VCDS section or the map (if it's upto date).

No worries - just in case you were over here for a reason :)

There's a few decent people with VCDS in the Sheff area Mark, I'm sure of it. Check the VCDS section or the map (if it's upto date).

Nick P is over Sheffield way and helped me out before when i had a ABS sensor go down.

Top fella!

Nick P is over Sheffield way and helped me out before when i had a ABS sensor go down.

Top fella!

Good thinking batman! - I may well drop him a PM...

IF you want a discount then use HIDS4U and at the checkout enter TOYOTA PRO << Exactly as it is here. :thumbup:

Just so you know the MOT rules are changing and the MOT tester will fail the car if you have a HID kit on without the proper equipment (self levelling lights and light washers)

I didnt know this till a few weeks back. :S

Due to the number of Police officers I actually see on a daily basis, I can't see that making much of a difference! At least round here.

And whilst dazzling lights are annoying and potentially dangerous, I think I'd prefer them to concentrate their efforts on targeting illegal and dangerous drivers and vehicles.

What's your source for this training update, and who has been trained? Whole forces, or just Traffic?

I'm aware of Police powers.

I shall therefore await the day when I see a PC flag down a local youth with non-projector HIDs, spot the lack of self-levelling and washers, and issue him with some rectification paperwork :thumbup:

Excellent. Good to have some 'presence' down there :thumbup:

Oh, and can you be back down there on the 8th August? Can imagine there'll be a fair few to pull up for the illegal use of vehicle horns outside the hours of permitted use :dull:

"8th August: Eid-Ul-Fitr - The end of Ramadan when Muslims celebrate the end of fasting"

Police have had new training to identify cars that have HID headlights installed. Due to dazzling other drivers etc.

If you have HIDs and they do not have projector headlights, headlight wash and are self levelling the police can and will prosecute you so be warned this will be coming into affect in Febuary.

If yo play the game with them they could issue you with a VDRS (vehicle defect rectification scheme) this gives you 14 days to get the lights taken out inspected at a garage then go to the police station to confirm that the lights have been put back to standard. No further action will then be taken.

Just a warning for those that have aftermarket HID kits

Tim

So you get nicked if they self level??? :giggle:B)

I just don't see why most of them think they're exempt or that the law doesn't apply to them. Used to live not far from there and still nip back for a curry every now and again :thumbup:

Parking is also an 'issue', yes! I tend to leave the car a fair distance away. Full defensive driving mode is also activated when entering the Fallowfield principality. You just don't know what's gonna happen :S

Anyway, we've drifted slightly off-topic ;)

Cheers,

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Got mine fitted yesterday

Got the re-coding done today.

Working spot on

while i was at the dealers to get the coding done they happily obliged me by re-coding for Fog lamps to work for CH/LH instead of the HID's, they also coded for cornering lights..

Dipped my car for oil and put about half liter in it..

NO CHARGE..emoticon-0103-cool.gif

Big thanks to E.Tarrant and Son Dealers emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Came home and the car looked like something I was after competing in a rallycross or something

So out with the snowfoam

Chemical Guys P40

Chemical Guys Blacklight

Chemical Guys Hybrid V7

Happy now all looking good..

Must have drive later to check out the HID's

Thanks for all info on this

Edited by vectra1

while i was at the dealers to get the coding done they happily obliged me by re-coding for Fog lamps to work for CH/LH instead of the HID's, they also coded for cornering lights..

This is annoying, as you've mentioned fog lights for CH/LH use as well! Must be a new FL feature that then, as I'm damned if I can find it in VCDS for a pre-FL :x: