Low coolant

Noticed that the coolant level in my FL vRS has dropped below minimum. No warning light has come on as yet. Obv need it topped up but should I get it checked out first to make sure there aren't any leaks or just top it up?

Noticed that the coolant level in my FL vRS has dropped below minimum. No warning light has come on as yet. Obv need it topped up but should I get it checked out first to make sure there aren't any leaks or just top it up?

I had the same somewhere between 1500 and 2500 miles. Just below min, topped it up and it's been consistent since; now on around 6k.

Mine is just above min currently.

Car delivered at the end of April, 7500 miles on it now. Coolant started just above the max line, and is going to be below min fairly soon. I have tons of G12+ in the garage but i'm more concerned about where the coolant's going.

My oil level has never dropped, and really it should have, even just a wee bit by now. No mayonaise gunk in the dipstick tube or under the oil filler cap but it's got me checking it every week.

My nigh on 100k PD vRS didn't use a drop until it hit 88k. I now need to top it up once per month. The dealer can't find a leak though and there are no visible puddles. The lease company refused to pay for further exploration work!

Steve

Very timely post OP, thanks.

I checked my FL CR vRS and noted also the coolant has dropped beflow minimum, no warnings.

Im due to have my MFSW fixed soon so ill ask them to check it, obviusly, and get some top up.

what is the correct or recommended stuff to use?

This is about 2000 miles from new ive noticed this.

Oil is about half way in the "good" area on the dipstick, might top it a a tad soon.

Had my vRS for 11 months now - covered 22,000 miles so far, and have had to top up the coolant 3 times. Only about half a pint each time and the loss rate has not increased, so I'm not worried about it. Maybe a bit just boils off under certain conditions.

Bob.

What a timely post - my light came on just this morning too.

I don't have any of the recommended G12 Plus-Plus (or TL-VW 774G) so will have to try and get some tomorrow. Had a quick look at the resorvoir though, and the max-min label is just about impossible to see due to other pipes etc in the way - is this just a VRS problem?

The coolant 'loss' could be little more than trapped air in the system finding its way to the highest point and the dissolved gasses in the coolant flashing off into the coolant bottle under running conditions hence looking like the level of coolant had dropped.

Thanks all, will top up this time and keep an eye on it.

What a timely post - my light came on just this morning too.

I don't have any of the recommended G12 Plus-Plus (or TL-VW 774G) so will have to try and get some tomorrow. Had a quick look at the resorvoir though, and the max-min label is just about impossible to see due to other pipes etc in the way - is this just a VRS problem?

The max-min label is clear to see on mine - nothing in the way (FL vRS petrol)

Thanks all, will top up this time and keep an eye on it.

The max-min label is clear to see on mine - nothing in the way (FL vRS petrol)

I think it's just nigh on impossible to see on the diesels.

Mate of mine was loosing coolant on his 2009 1.9TDi. Started at around 15k miles and fell from max to min over a week or so.

Finally tracked down to a leaking water pump - replaced under warranty along with cambelt that had been damaged by coolant contamination.