1.6TDI 4x4 Estate

Hello!

I'm on the cusp of putting a deposit down for a new 1.6TDI CR 4x4 Estate. I want a non-SUV 4x4 but don't need to tow anything so for the sake of overall cost, insurance group, VED and MPG I'm leaning towards the 1.6L as opposed to the 2.0L. (I want a 4x4 as though not a farmer, I live in an isolated area and often find myself on poor road surfaces and farm tracks - not fun with 2-wheel-drive come winter. I also want a good sized boot therefore I've discounted SUVs).

My budget won't stretch anywhere near a new Subaru or Audi, but the Skoda gets good reviews and the number of taxis which are Ocatvias has convinced me to give them a go.

Problem is, no dealer near me has a 4x4 demonstrator; therefore can those who own a 1.6 4x4 please answer me the following:

* Do you like it?

*What extras do you have?

*If you could change anything on the car, what would it be?

*How do you find the 1.6 as a 4x4 in terms of general handling, low-rev uptake, agility?

*What actual MPG (approx) are you getting?

*If you do tow anything, what is it?

*Any issues, problems unique to the 1.6 and/or 4x4?

*Any other info that might be of use...

Thanks v.much in advance. :)

There is a Jeremy Clarkson review of the 1.9 4x4 written a couple of years ago which will give you a flavour. His opinion was that it was a bit slow but solid and reliable. The new 2.0 CR engine is quicker and pretty efficient - I regularly get 50mpg in a scout which is more draggy.

It's very new out and we've only handed over business orders of this combination, I've only got 4x4/Scouts on order with either the 1.8TSi or 2.0TD CR engines.

Edited by Allams Skoda

Scouts seem a lot more sought after so if you worry about resale consider one now if your budget can stretch that far. It also has 17mm more ground clearance than the 4x4, Ive found it incredibly good when I went on some horrendous rocky tracks in Spain this year

Price out whatever you want on drivethedeal.com & with a bit of luck if you are wary of Interweb purchases you may find a dealer to price match, they do exist

As has been said factor in delivery as many people are waiting many months for the car, dont be fooled by the dealers no more than 12 weeks, do a search through the threads in this section & there are quite a few on deliveries

We bought a Scout 2.0 tdi earlier this year, our 4th Skoda so a bit biased but they really are great cars, its only an Audi after all & people drone on about how great they are.

When choosing the spec even if you dont add anything consider the spare wheel, the car comes as std with a can of tyre foam & nothing else. If the price is still the same as May you get a full size spare, ok rated to 50mph but full width & also included is a jack & brace, all for £55. Xenons are good & upspeccing the interior trim looks nice, the raised boot floor is also a nice touch

Edited by Stuart_J

To quote Han Solo; "I'm getting a bad feeling about this"

*New engine married to 4x4 components

*Few people if any as yet taken delivery of one

*Delivery times so long people are cancelling orders

Oh dear, methinks its back to the drawing board. I don't want to end up waiting 9 months just to become a guinea pig for Skoda's new engine/drive combination.

Thanks for the comments re. Scout, but I don't want/need a 20.L engine, either wrapped in a Scout or normal estate body. I saw this Newcarnet video which impressed me a great deal, but I wanted first hand expereince of the 1.6L engine.

Not sure if I should proceed....

Thoughts anyone....

Oh dear, methinks its back to the drawing board. I don't want to end up waiting 9 months just to become a guinea pig for Skoda's new engine/drive combination.

Thanks for the comments re. Scout, but I don't want/need a 20.L engine, either wrapped in a Scout or normal estate body. I saw this Newcarnet video which impressed me a great deal, but I wanted first hand expereince of the 1.6L engine.

Thoughts anyone....

Just a thought

Skoda get engine & Gearbox combinations after other members of the VAG group so it would be worth seeing if any cars produced by VW or Audi have the set up you are looking at gauging peoples thoughts on those may help. If its been out for a while there should be some feedback around

I trawled the net and the Seat Altea Freetrack 4 doesn't appear on their website anymore; but that was a 2.0L 4x4 when it was available. (Not since 2009). The VW Passat no longer comes with a 4x4 option and the Tiguan is a 2.0L (Touareg is 3.0L). The 4x4 Audi A4 and A6 Allroads are 2.0L and 3.0L repectively.

I like your thinking, but no other VAG badge marries a 1.6L to a 4x4 drive, therefore sadly I'm still none the wiser.

I trawled the net and the Seat Altea Freetrack 4 doesn't appear on their website anymore; but that was a 2.0L 4x4 when it was available. (Not since 2009). The VW Passat no longer comes with a 4x4 option and the Tiguan is a 2.0L (Touareg is 3.0L). The 4x4 Audi A4 and A6 Allroads are 2.0L and 3.0L repectively.

I like your thinking, but no other VAG badge marries a 1.6L to a 4x4 drive, therefore sadly I'm still none the wiser.

That does suprise me but looks like you have explored all the options that I would

Thoughts anyone....

The 1.6CR engine has been out for a couple of years or so now (only a year or so in Skodas admittedly) and the 4x4 isn't exactly a new drivetrain either so why should there be any more problems with this combination than with the 1.9 or 2.0 litre diesels?

The 1.6CR engine has been out for a couple of years or so now (only a year or so in Skodas admittedly) and the 4x4 isn't exactly a new drivetrain either so why should there be any more problems with this combination than with the 1.9 or 2.0 litre diesels?

I don't know - should there be? Nobody on this site seems to own one, I can't find any dealer who has one as a demo, and of the two contributors to this site who had one on order, one changed their order for a Scout and the other cancelled their order altogether - both having ordered in May only to be told not to expect it until next year. Seems rather an excessive waiting period even to the uninformed like me.

I'm just loathed to order something for which there seems little in the way of owner experience to draw upon in order to form an opinion. At this point, in this country, this model would appear to exist on paper only.

Edited by Endrick Shellycoat

I don't know - should there be? Nobody on this site seems to own one, I can't find any dealer who has one as a demo, and of the two contributors to this site who had one on order, one changed their order for a Scout and the other cancelled their order altogether - both having ordered in May only to be told not to expect it until next year. Seems rather an excessive waiting period even to the uninformed like me.

I'm just loathed to order something for which there seems little in the way of owner experience to draw upon in order to form an opinion. At this point, in this country, this model would appear to exist on paper only.

If it helps Ive had a couple of 4x4 Octys & the drive train is bomb proof, for me the 1.6 would be underpowered but thats a personal thing. If you just want to try a 1.6 engine & cant find a demonstrator see if any dealer has a s/hand one. We had to do this when we were looking for the scout as I could not find a demonstrator locally. The 4x4 will be slightly heavier & thus slower with the 1.6 but the characteristics of the engine should be the same, comparing figures in the brochure will give you an idea of how much slower. You may find the 4x4 has shorter gearing but you will need to check, I know with the Mk 1 they used shorter gears but that only had a 5 speed box, Im assuming the 1.6 is 6 speed.

We had a Mk 1 Petrol 4x4 & I found it a bit revy at motorway speeds. If the 4x4 now has the same box as the Scout it will be fine.

One other thought, If theres little demand for the 1.6 will it be a hard car to resell in a few years time, are yu better getting the 2.0

My opinion as to why you can't find one is that it's a slightly odd combination.

The 1.6CR is for designed for economy but 4x4 takes some of that away and, arguably, the engine isn't powerful enough for traditional 4x4 applications.

I guess this combination might sell better in regions where 4x4 is a more important consideration than it is in the UK.

My opinion as to why you can't find one is that it's a slightly odd combination.

The 1.6CR is for designed for economy but 4x4 takes some of that away and, arguably, the engine isn't powerful enough for traditional 4x4 applications.

I guess this combination might sell better in regions where 4x4 is a more important consideration than it is in the UK.

My desire for a 4x4 simply stems from the need for improved mobility in winter driving conditions, as opposed to off/soft roading or towing; what might be described as "traditional 4x4 applications". Perhaps my needs may indeed conform to other regions where demand for 4x4 is stronger.

I'm just a bit frustrated that I can't find a happy owner whose brains I can pick....

I'm just a bit frustrated that I can't find a happy owner whose brains I can pick....

Doesn't surprise me with the waiting lists people are suffering for the Octavia... you're asking about a model that has only been availalbe for about 5 or 6 months and some people are waiting that long for their car, added to which, I suspect only a few people would order that model anyway, most people seem to go for the Scout rather than the 4x4 for the added equipment and the Scout is not available with that engine...

Have you tried ringing Skoda or asking a dealer to look on the system & see if the car has been supplied to anyone in the UK. That way at least you may find one & possibly a friendly customer to let you "pick their brains"

If it helps I live in Hampshire, not exactly the snow capital of the UK, I too wanted a bit more traction after last year, looked at just getting the 4x4 but the scout has so much more equipment as std, to me upspeccing was a no brainer. Its also a cracking car on the road & not at all uncomfortable which I had worried about with the "leggy" looks. We went to the south of Spain a few weeks ago, 3800 miles in 10 days & it was as pleasant as the old Superb.

I got a 4x4 earlire this year but got a 2.0 TDi because I want it to tow a caravan (its one of the very last PD's). I absolutly love it, no complaints at all. Can't see any reason why the 1.6CR shouldnt work with the transmission but guess it might feel a little sluggish. I think the advice to test drive a 2wd 1.6 is good, will give you an idea what the car is like to drive. Just try to imagine what it would be like with an extra 100kg of transmission on board. I changed from a 2wd 2.0 PD Octy to a 4x4 version and find them very simmilar. The 4x4 is slightly slower but not a huge differences, does about 3mpg less (45instaed of 48) and has better grip both on slippery surfaces and when cornering on the road. I would expect the 1.6CR to have simmilar differences. As has already been pointed out I suspect the lack of replies with people with the exact same car is that it is so new there may not be many/any on the road yet, and that a lot of people buying the 4x4 want to tow and will therfore tend to chose the bigger engine.

Lee

My desire for a 4x4 simply stems from the need for improved mobility in winter driving conditions

Winter Tyres?

and/or "normal" cars with 4wd drivetrains?

Depends on whether you're set on buying new or not I guess?

Golf 4Motion?

Diesel Subaru?

Various Audi's with Quattro?

Fiat Sedici/Suzuki SX4 4Grip

Fiat Panda Cross?

A nearly new 1.9TDi 4x4 Octavia Estate?

Can't think of any others after that which aren't SUV types!

Niall

Thanks for the suggestions.

Seems if you want a new estate, rather than an SUV, with 4x4, you're limited to Audi A4/A6 Allroad, Subaru Legacy/Outback or Skoda 4x4 Octavia/Scout.

I'm sold on the Octavia but for reasons of budget want the 1.6TDI CR, which nobody seems to have and fewer want/will recommend: the 2.0TDI seeming to be the engine of choice for the 4x4 drivetrain.

Trouble is the outlay and running costs for the 2.0TDI are a bit more:

*Addtitonal £1200 outlay for the 2.0L over the 1.6L

*VED Band seems to be the same however - F

*MPG for 2.0L: 39.2 / 60.1 / 50.4 MPG 1.6L: 42.2 / 61.4 / 52.3

*(New) Insurance Group: 2.0L=20 1.6L=15

VED and MPG don't really come into it I guess; driving style/load affecting MPG as much as anything else. However the initial outlay and insurance still has me leaning towards the 1.6L.

Shame nobody appears to have one...

hello there

got my 1.6 cr 4X4 delivered 1 month ago after 7 weeks waiting time.

as a previous fabia 1.2 owner it was a delight to have almost doubled the horse power :-)

as i am living in the mountains of norway with 5 months of constant snow covered roads it makes sense to drive a 4X4.

so far im really happy with the handlig on snow especially when you accelererate during a curve. 2wd would have gone straight of the road.

the 4X4 haldex system works when normal driving it uses 90% front weel drive and 10% on the rear tires. cant feel any difference from a 2wd. but when you push the pedal and its a little bit slippery it transfers the power 50% on both axels.

havent been towing anything yet but the diesel engine has a lot of power.

because of the heavy car tax system in norway i went for this engine size. if i would have gone for the 2.0 liter 4X4 it would have costed 5400 pounds more, belive it or not!!!!!

i bought a special winter promotion pack from skoda norway that incl xenons, towbar, elegance, pluss pack, parking heater with timer, light assistant etc.

as i think the car tax system in the UK is far less than here i would defenetly recomend that you go for the 2.0 liter. more power to the people.

as we are using Liters per 100/KM here i have an average of 6 Liters per 100/KM dont know how much that is in MPG.

i think this car option is very popular in norway. especially after a test the norwegian AAA tested it to be number one . My link

its in norwegian put copy it in to google translate and you get an idea,

any more questions? just ask

very good norwegian :-)

after the test came out there was a lot of ****ed off audi owners, A4 quatro came inn as number 4. octavia 1.6 tdi cr 4X4 as number one :giggle:

the car was ordered the 03.08.10 and was delivered 30.09.10. so around 8 weeks.

i ordered almost all extras

columbus

parking sensors front and back

darkened windows

heated seats

bluetooth premium

mdi

alarm

sound system with 12 speakers

winter tires

cornering lights

heated side mirrors

heated window washer nozzels

folding mirrors

multi functional steering wheel

strenghten protection under the engine

etc

pluss what i wrote previous.

after reading all the posts in this forum i got very nervous about the delyed delivery times. but it was delivered only one week later than what they said when i ordered it.

maybe it has to do with the uk all the long delivery times or the fact that almost all of the complaining people have ordered RS cars.

i did not try the 4X4 either before i ordered it but after i got it i compared it with the 2wd. not so big difference driving and torque wise, but when the 4X4 kicks inn, Love it

you might check out the scout as well

Edited by kongvidar